Very Happy w/ Geno's Performance

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Heavy Metal Thunder

I'm not a darksider and overall was pleased with Geno but...

Regarding his running, trying too hard to make something out of nothing and being a little reckless (not sliding)... I kept thinking in the back of my head "uh oh, is this a negative influence of having Mike Vick as his mentor?" Felt like he was trying to play "Mike Vick" football at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Geno has the highest comp pct of any starter and Brady has the worst. Geno smith, by the transitive property, is thus one of the best quarterbacks in NFL history.

3. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Actually the int was not a dumb mistake at all, it was Geno just being a little too confident in his arm and not believing Woodson could make the play. He did. Not great but a big step up from his ints last year.

4. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Let's not put the "three huge mistakes" all on Smith. I was at the game and I thought he threw late on the interception. The fumble was a ridiculous call by MM. Why the gimmick plays inside the 5? Keep Smith in the game and Vick on the sideline and run a play from the front of the play book - a run to CJ or Ivory or a pass to some of the big targets on this team. The play call on the fumble was just stupid. The same goes for the sack early in the 4 th quarter. It's 3rd and 2-3 inside the 25 yard line and a field goal gives the Jets a 9 point lead against an offense that couldn't move the ball at all. Why pass at all? Run the ball, take the easy three and warm up the bus. That play was also on MM.

Smith looked like a bona fide NFL starter today. He had bad breaks all day. Salas dropped a sure TD on the first drive. Numerous other drives were stopped by penalties once the Jets drove deep into Raider territory. The score was misleading. The Jets were 14+ points better than Oakland today.

5. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Of course not, just an observation.

6. dgiven91

dgiven91 Active Member

According to ESPN stats and info, Geno's completion percentage (single game) was the third best in Jets history.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree about just playing it safe and taking the three. Many of us have been screaming about Rex's offensive conservatism, settling for FGs rather than going for TDs for years. The Jets need to learn how to put their foot on the throat of opponents and finish them out. While trickeration is certainly not ideal when we have the RBs that we do and the taller receivers that we do, it in and of itself, is not bad. It adds a fun element to the game for the players and fans, and it helps keep opponents off-balance. I agree that yesterday with Oakland there was no need for it, however. The Jets were running the ball well and there was no reason to call that unless MM just wanted to see if it worked and give opponents in coming weeks something to think about. Even if that was his reasoning, I think it was flawed. He should have saved that for a game or a time if/when our offense was struggling and nothing was clicking and needed a spark. When your offense is clicking as it was yesterday (except for the penalties), there's no need to do it.

There would have been nothing wrong with throwing the ball there. IMO that shows confidence in your QB and your offense, and you're trying to close out the game and finish off opponents. Geno just has to learn that you can't take a sack in that situation, especially a 30 yard sack or whatever it was. I like Geno as well as anyone and think he played very well yesterday for the most part, but that sack was a bonehead play. He should already know better than that. Sometimes you just have to accept that a play has busted and minimize your losses. That's not a time to keep trying to make a big play.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Last time I remember a Jets QB completing 80% of his passes was back with Chad in 2002.

Good job Geno.

9. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Geno completed 12 or 13 passes in a row. This was the same guy that couldn't complete more than 2 or 3 passes for an entire game at points last year. I hope Geno continues to improve.

NotSatoshiNakamoto likes this.
  10. BookEndTackles 72&79

Nothing wrong with the play call when Geno took the 19 yard sack. The protection was non-existent on that play with Cumberland whiffing badly on his man on the edge. Geno's error was trying to do too much and escape backwards. A 10 yard sack there and Folk still has a chance to kick a FG.

The 1985er and FJF like this.
  11. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

It is a shame the bonehead plays mar an otherwise awesome performance by Geno. It's cool that he completed 80% but those 2 plays (sack, goalline fumble) keep me from completely savoring this victory and his performance. I don't think the int is as terrible as the other two, Woodson made an incredible play.

Raiders or no, there dline was supposed to be much improved and the team still navigated them with ease. He looked comfortable in the pocket and shrugged off alot of arm tackles to extend some plays (that was a bad thing in one case but overall a good sign). Most importantly his decision making was very, very good. It was not one of those days where the qb threw 1 int but probably could have thrown 4 if the db's could catch the ball. He threw one bad ball and it turned out a hall of famer made a great play for the pick.

12. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

One thing I like about Geno is that he seems to be very durable. For some reason even when he takes huge hits I am never worried about him being hurt at all. He never seems to be fazed by them and I've seen him straight up absorb some monster shots last year. It's a longshot from Sanchez, who would try his best to man up but always looked like he was about to cry after taking a big lick.

But Geno was taking too many unnecessary hits when he ran the ball yesterday. I've always liked how Geno normally slides when he knows he'll be tackled and he is actually one of the few QB's I've seen can actually slide well and doesn't look like he's about rip his leg in half when he gets down. That goal line fumble looked like he was trying to force his way through like that TD he scored against MIA at the end of last season.

There was a few other plays in the open field where he straight up tried to take on the defender. I think he was pissed off and trying to prove a point to the defenders. Not too smart tho.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I won't say i am "very happy" with his performance but he didn't do anything to change my optimism. He did leave some points on the field though and that concerns me a bit heading into the next few weeks where we might need every point we can get

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Yeah there were some things I didn't like about Geno's performance I agree. He had some bone-headed plays. I like how Geno wasn't too happy with his performance - hopefully he builds on this and continues to progress.

Raiders DL barely had any pressure on Geno and when they did, Geno was able to avoid the defenders and make something out of it.

15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The completion percentage inspires a fair degree of confidence, and that is great and hopefully he can raise that from last year's stats against better pass defenses going forward. I liked his elusiveness against the pass rush, too.

The running is more a mixed bag, though. Yes he's durable, but too much running and his luck will run out. His first fumble also came on his running it and trying too hard to make something out of that play when it was just not happening.

The second fumble was recovered by the Jets, but imo showed poor ball protection. Then there was the really stupid loss taking the Jets out of FG range.

On the whole we will probably have more perspective on htis performance when we see how he does in hte next few games against better quality opponents.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He completed 11 in a row to finish the game. He had four games last season in a row where he didn't complete 11 passes in a single game

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I thought Geno carried over his calm and awareness in the pocket over from the preseason. The runs began to worry me, especially after the "fumble", not long afterward he had a long run up the middle and still didn't dive, and took a decent hit from Woodson. I'm guessing that Marty got into him after that, because every time he scrambled he slid. He did try to force that INT to Decker, that one's on him, but he played well enough in the rest of the game to make up for it.

I think it's becoming fairly obvious that the Jets still don't trust him under center. He was only under center 9 out of 73 downs, and only 3 of those were passing downs. I think this is why they have used so many trick plays early. Running out of the shotgun or pistol is going to stop working after a while unless they add wrinkles to the O, and whenever they run from an under-center formation, the defense always, ALWAYS keys on the run first, because we hardly ever pass from that formation. The trick plays we've had for the most part have benefited the ground game.

But hey, maybe they were just holding back all of the under-center plays for the tougher teams. And before anyone says Brady/Manning/etc, the Jets don't run a spread offense, they run a pretty standard WCO, outside of the half dozen or so trick plays each game. WCO works as much or more from under center as it does out of the shotgun.

18. DonnieBaseball23

DonnieBaseball23 Active Member

He looked good, except for three glaring mistakes. The INT, the fumble (really bad), and taking that sack in the 4th. Those three plays can cost you a game.

19. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Interesting stat about Smith, that being his ypc when he ran, was 3.8. I think the Raiders despite their problems on D saw enough video of him running last year and kept those scampers largely in check. And of course the lost fumble was on a run. This suggests diminishing returns from his running.

20. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Let's hope that this isn't the case.