Secondary Not As Bad As Most Think

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Your agenda is so obvious in your attempt to bash Walls play yesterday it's not even funny. There was a lot of coverage pressure yesterday and Walls was running right next to Jones, a bigger body on the sideline. Say a ball is lofted more to the left and inbounds Walls has a chance to jump and make a play as he won't be completely boxed to the sidelines. To go up make that grab and keep both feet inbounds is a fantastic play by the wide receiver.

He's not an all world corner but he's certainly a serviceable player and belongs on an NFL roster as a #3 or #4 corner with spot starting duty at the #2.

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

You equate Cromartie with Stephen Hill. Heh. Thanks for the laugh.

3. Big Blocker

Heh! A touchdown stops the clock, too, last I checked.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. likes this.
  4. Big Blocker

Walls could only do that if he committed PI by running through Jones.

He was not in a good position, whatever the FO homers here would like to believe.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You're talking to the same guy that would defend to the death the horrible coverage skills of Eric Smith. He knows nothing about football, you are wasting your time.

#145 abyzmul, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  6. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

I'm not ragging on Walls, he had a decent game, but he was clearly out of position on that play.

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Heh! That doesn't answer the question. Its probable that the game situation called for the cbs to play the outside to kewp the play to the middle of the field to keep the clock running. Carr made a good throw, jones made a great catch staying in bounds. If decker made that catch we would be throwing a parade right now.
    its ok to admit that you didn't think of the game situation before you errantly accused walls of being forced to the sideline.

8. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Whether or not it was perfect coverage, Walls actually got his hand on the ball and damn near broke up the pass without drawing a pass interference flag. I don't think I've ever seen a receiver one-hand catch a ball as a DB batted it, so yeah I'm going to go ahead and say it was a great catch vs solid coverage.

9. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Often a receiver will 'ride' a DB off his hip or shield him with his frame esp. when there's a size advantage. In this case while it was slight (Jones 6' 1", 200 lbs.; Walls 6' 0", 190 lbs.) there was a size advantage and yet Walls still pretty much stayed with him. If I could only suggest one thing he (Walls) might've done, it would be to have had him play it more aggressively with his hands/forearms as the ball came down, namely to smash his fists across Jones' hands in a clubbing motion vs. going up and contesting it stickly in a 'tap' jump ball fashion, i.e. have Walls go up for the ball just the way he did but to play it violently with his fist and blast Jones' hands/wrists/forearms as the ball came into contact like a hatchet .

jm2cts......carry on.....

[​IMG]

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

As I previously mentioned 100x, I don't value the CB position as you do - once Milliner comes back we will have a decent crop of CBs that can hold their own - that's all we need from that position.

Saying Idzik did a good job = Idzik GM of the yr? I like Idzik, and I think his vision for this team is exactly what we needed. Never did I say he was the best GM in the league.

You need to stop sniffing glue or something.

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

You are smarter than this response would indicate.

12. Big Blocker

Putting aside the particulars of the play, why does it make more sense to cover the sideline instead of the inside move when the receiver is approaching the end zone?

Your point makes sense if the play is occuring in the middle of the field, but not near the end zone.

13. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Not really.. He got mossed... It happens.

14. Big Blocker

So, my disagreeing with you equates to my sniffing glue. Yeah, that is persuasive.

You take posting here very personally. I am lucky to have never met you. But I can make some reasonable conjectures about what a loser you must be in real life. Well, that's neither here nor there, I suppose, but your need to get personal is noteworthy.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I wasn't sure what to expect out of Allen and Walsh yesterday. Granted it was only the Raiders and their WRs aren't anywhere near the top of the league, considering the lack of consistent pressure on Carr by the front 7, I think they performed extremely well. If the front 7 can't do a better job of consistently pressuring opposing QBs, I don't think it would matter if we had Revis and a Revis clone at the two CB positions. The Raiders OL isn't that good. IMO the Jets should have been able to get at least 4-5 sacks on Carr yesterday and a lot more pressures and hits. Looks like my "awful thread" maybe wasn't quite so awful after all. Rex didn't harass Carr and make him look like a rookie. He made him look like a quality veteran.

16. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

The ball was in arms reach of walls he coulda swatted it but its easier to say that watching it than actually being in the situation. James Jones aint no bum his job is to make big plays.. He made ONE. Walls is good that TD he gave up was way more acceptable than the plenty cromartie gave up where he got killed on the ROUTE not even standing a chance to make a play at the ball.. But he's an all-pro walls is sum depth chart hope trying to make a name!

17. MaximusD163

A quality veteran who threw for 150 yards?

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

You can have your assumptions about me all you want on an internet message board. I really don't care. You have a negative attitude and believe me, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near you.

I cannot stand people that nitpick every little thing, it's annoying. That's exactly what you are doing here. It's my #1 pet peeve other than being ignorant which you are clearly doing here as well.

We won the game, our secondary played decent for our first game. Give props where props are due.

19. BookEndTackles 72&79

Bashing Walls for this play is just ridiculous. He did all he could. Was stride for stride with the receiver, knew the ball was coming, had his hand in there and actually raked Jones' arm and the ball. After all that the guy catches it with ONE hand AND keeps his feet in bounds while jumping on the run. I'll take my chances every time if a QB wants to throw up a jump ball like that. It's a low percentage play and 90% of the time that ball will not be caught. With the game situation the Raiders called a play just to get the ball to the end zone and hope for a prayer to be answered. It was.

20. MaximusD163

The Raiders weren't in the redzone when that play happened so it's not really a valid point. Walls tipped the ball without incurring a PI call so clearly he wasn't really out of position, not to mention the ball was thrown to the sideline. If a ball is thrown where it was and Walls is on the inside, he's not going to touch the ball without a PI call, which is the entire strategy of a fade route. Walls had tight coverage with help on the inside, so he properly played the fade route and got burned by a beautiful one handed acrobatic side-line toe tapping catch. The truth is based on the coverage Carr really shouldn't have thrown that ball, but it worked out for him.