Damn, Patriots D Looking Good

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by JetsKickAss, Sep 7, 2014.

1. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

We'll see starting today, but the early reports from all the Patriots stuff I read showed that Revis is really making a difference.

I really hope he doesn't make the same impact as Ty Law and Lawyer Malloy because I fear that we could see him hosting the Lombardi Trophy in 5 months which, combined with our CB problems and $20 MM in non-spent salary cap, is going to feel sickening.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

They gave up 500+ yards rushing this preseason. Not saying that's going to continue into the regular season but they're no how no way a good defense if they cannot stop the run reliably.

IBLEEDGREEN17 likes this.
  3. PatsFanSeoul

PatsFanSeoul Member

Those yards were mostly when 2nd and 3rd stringers were in. Pats D looked good on all fronts whenever the starters when in. Not close to the stingy unit that the Jets DL are, but they will be much better this year with a healthy Wilfork and Siliga.

One thing the rest of the AFCE won't like. The starters had more coverage sacks than I can ever remember in pre-season.

4. Br4d

I think what you're going to find is that Revis takes his man out except for rare occasions (Stevie Johnson used to give him fits for some reason) and then you're playing 10 on 10 from there. If the front 7 generates a lot of pressure or Belichik goes blitz happy then Revis can be va major factor. If not you're going to get leaks here and there that keep sequence offenses alive.

Rex had close to perfect personnel and scheme to exploit Revis ability to man to man cover in 2009 and it still broke down at the end. Same for 2010. Then after that the Jets were playing 10 on 10 and losing more than they should with a superstar on the field.

I'm not worried about Revis impact on the Pats defense. I think the question of how good you guys are on that side of the ball is going to be all about Vince Wilfork and how he ages. If Wilfork is still great then Revis contributions will be a major factor. If not then he'll be the greatest sideshow on earth.

One other thing: Revis is one of the most grabby CB's I've ever seen. He's always got a pinch of the receivers jersey at some point or another on a route. He gets away with it because he's a great player and gets the benefit of the doubt. If the NFL is really tightening up on that stuff this year you're going to be very unpleasantly surprised by the results.

5. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

^Lol your agenda is so transparent. I guess the Texans with JJ Watt lost more than they should with a superstar on the field last year too. How many games did the best D player in the league help them win? Can't be more than 2 obviously. Didn't stop them from handing him a mega deal. I'm sure you will come up with some reason for why "that's different".

6. JetsKickAss

I hope you are right.

7. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Patriots dont even need a good defense, they need an average one and they are the best team in the AFC.

8. JetsKickAss

What scared me is reading some of the in-depth Patriot blogs which said that the Pat receivers -- and Brady -- were trying to go full-out on Revis in some practices and he still blanketed them. Guys were coming back to the line with their jaws dropping saying they thought that Revis (and Brady) were pulling a joke on them because Revis was sticking to the guys like glue, like he was told the route beforehand.

I wanted to throw up when I read that.

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

How many superbowls did the Jets when when Revis was in his prime and the Jets had the best defense in the league? It will still come down to Brady and what he can do.

10. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

How many Super Bowls did the Patriots win when Brady was in his prime and the Pats had the best offense in the league?

Point is, it isn't an either or. If Revis makes them a top ten D and Brady plays like a top ten QB they have a better shot at a SB than they have had in years.

The last SB they won they had the 4th and 2nd best scoring O and D respectively. You need balance to win.

Jake likes this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The Patriots lack balance on offense - their running game is very questionable. Vereen is a legit pass-catcher out of the backfield but he isn't a good running back in-between the tackles. Steven Ridley can't hold onto the football. I think losing Blount was a big loss for the Pats. It will come back to haunt them in the playoffs.

12. Br4d

The Texans overpaid Watt. However, if you're going to overpay then overpay for the guy who lines up 5 yards off the ball on every play and will impact every play as a result.

13. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

So was that superstar helping them win games last year? Because that's the criteria you hold Revis to

14. Br4d

I don't hold Revis to any particular criteria other than his impact on the cap vs his impact on the field. That doesn't mean that great players don't play for bad teams. It just means that very high cap numbers impact a team's ability to put a lot of talent on the field and in that situation it's better to not have a high cap number on the edge of the field affecting maybe 20% of the plays each game.

The Texans did suck with Watt on the field last year. If they sucked with him on the field consistently I'd strongly suggest that they divest themselves of his cap number and go pay a bunch of better players to put on the field.

I don't even believe the QB's are worth the high cap numbers at this point but at least they effect 50% of the plays their team runs, since they touch the ball on every offensive play.

15. 2insane

2insane Well-Known Member

basically asset allocation

16. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

Mike Wallace been Killing Revis all day, but he cant seem to catch the ball

17. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Yeah they look great lol

Dolphins about to go up on them

18. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Every single year the Patriots almost lose week 1, then have some BS comeback in the final minutes.

19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

lolz

Fins only dropped 30 on them.

deathstar likes this.
  20. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

That defense is unstoppable, let me tell ya!