2014 Week 1- Oakland Raiders @ New York Jets Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soxxx, Aug 31, 2014.

1. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

and wait Trent Green is with the CBS No.2 team? I didn't even know he was working for CBS. Or has Gumbel been demoted? Thought Fouts would move up, Gannon and Eagle as the 3rd team.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I think Ian Eagle is on the #2 team now.

1. Jim Nantz/Phil Simms
    2. Ian Eagle/Dan Fouts
    3. Greg Gumbel/Trent Green
    4. Kevin Harlan/Rich Gannon
    5. Spero Dedes/Solomon Wilcots
    6. Andrew Catalon/Steve Beuerlein

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Hehe, Spero "Chink in the Armor" Dedes.

jilozzo likes this.
  4. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Well it was that and then "I cant understand the self-grandizing...." comment. I mean did he not watch the game earlier in the year where Tom Brady was shouting at our sidelines. The Jets made a mockery of that team because they were classless just a month before, I saw nothing wrong with it. Dont like it? then they should have beat us.

5. raiderrocker18

raiderrocker18 New Member

hello all, not here to troll. the jets are and should be favored for Sunday's game. The raiders have been absolutely terrible when traveling to the east coast, and one can never feel too comfortable when a rookie QB is making his first start. Don't get me wrong, i'm crazy excited, but also nervous. Surely there were similar sentiments when Geno started out.

Understandably so, pretty much everybody on this forum seems very confident in a win coming. I get it. I think fans of literally ANY nfl team, even the jaguars or browns, would go through the schedule picking the easy wins, easy losses, and contested games, and mark the Raiders game as a win.

I had a few thoughts I wanted to share and then one question I wanted to ask.

Thought #1

The Jets defensive line is nasty, and the linebackers are solid. If they can get after Carr, it will be a long day for us. The Jets secondary is pretty suspect and is beat up on top of it. I saw they just signed Philip Adams (and onto the roster, not practice squad). That's usually not the sign of a strong secondary. If the Jets front doesn't wreak havoc, Carr has a chance to succeed. But the Raiders offensive line has been pretty mediocre in the passing game in the preseason. They've been very good in the run game but suspect in the passing game. I'm pretty sure the Raiders will want to lean on the run game, but I have a good feeling the Jets won't allow us to pound away. Carr will have to make plays, and our line will have a tough task of keeping the pressure off of him. With that being said, having gone through the comments on this thread and some others, I saw some comments about Carr's weakness being holding onto the ball too long. I don't understand where that came from. In college he got rid of the ball very quick (due in part to the system) and he hasn't shown any of that behavior in the preseason. I just don't understand where that specific criticism came from.

P.S. just for the record, the Seahawks had their entire first unit playing on our first touchdown drive, including Chancellor, Earl Thomas, and Richard Sherman, who got beat on a 3rd and 10 ;). Their reserve unit, gave up 3 touchdowns, 2 of which came directly against Philip Adams

Thought #2

While the focus for Jets fans will likely be on Geno (rightfully so, everybody is always interested in seeing the development of a potential franchise QB), I think the key on that side of the ball will be how the Raiders handle Chris Johnson. The Jets added Decker, the Raiders secondary is suspect, but I still don't think Geno is at the point where he will exactly be dissecting defenses. If the Raiders can force passing scenarios on third downs (3rd and 6 or longer, for instance), I think that's our best shot of winning. With Tuck, Woodley, and Mack, I think we can get into the backfield and cause problems. But we've had trouble with running backs that can leak out and catch. LeSean McCoy had a field day against us (then again, so did Foles that game) and Jamaal Charles kept getting loose in the passing game when we faced the Chiefs last year. I think the Jets point of emphasis should be Chris Johnson offensively, and its up to the Raiders to contain him.

Question:

In reading the comments leading up to this game, I've been reading some negative words about Austin Howard, about how he'll have his hands full, how he'll commit a crucial penalty, or according to one comment "get destroyed." Yet when I looked up the threads here about Austin Howard not agreeing to terms with the Jets or potentially leaving in free agency, the common theme in the comments there were "resigning him is a must" or "its a priority, why isn't he signed yet." Have attitudes about him shifted just because he's no longer on the team? Or am I just missing something here.

With all that being said, hoping for an injury-free game on both sides.

#105 raiderrocker18, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
    TNJet, displacedfan, Brook! and 4 others like this.
  6. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Have not read all of that Raider fan but I read the Austin Howard final paragraph, including you bringing up my prediction thread.

I never knocked Austin Howard, he was a very good Jet, just got overpaid a bit....but I don't hold that against him. I don't like him transitioning to RG though, thought he was a developing mid pack RT but I get you had high hopes on Menelik Watson taking the RT job(Barnes does not scare me at RT, if Coples and Babin don't feast on that side....well). It does cater to his strengths though of being a really good hole opener in the running game and being a inconsistent pass protector so that might be Sparano's thinking.

I was just bringing up a mere fact that both RGs on both teams will commit a holding penalty, which I don't think is out of the ordinary in today's NFL lol. I just threw down a prediction, of course it won't happen(most likely).

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

If the Jet Defense is as good as they say they are, this should be the first Jet shutout in God knows how long. It would help if the offense shows up and puts a few TD's on the board. The Jets really need this win because after this, the real NFL season begins. I look at this OAK game as their 5th preseason tuneup. That is, if this team lives up to its own hype.

Then again, if we lose, we can always blame the Refs or the Press.

8. Chrebet Fo' Ever

Classy and insightful post raiderrocker18! Good points all around.

As BakerMaker has just pointed out, most Jets fans liked Howard and wanted him to be resigned. However, while a decent RT he was most certainly NOT worth the 30 million you guys gave him and most Jets fans were just fine with us passing on that deal. I think some fans now hate him for leaving and forget that he was decent - I don't see him "getting destroyed" - but he does have a knack for penalties, and transitioning him to G doesn't seem to make too much sense. Especially on that mega deal.

9. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Just thought I'd get this on here:

New York Jets ‏@nyjets 7m
    Players are wearing all white on Sunday. Gear up for a #NYJetsWhiteout & RT to spread the word!

Wish they would do stuff like this more often, the Green Out vs the Pats last year was awesome, everyone wear white!!!

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. nyjunc

They have worn white for each home opener under Rex except the '11 Dallas game.

11. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Yup, and that's because that was a night game, when it's hot in September they usually choose not to wear green. I was just pointing out that they're asking all the fans to wear white. Of course that'll probably be ruined miserably by all the Raiders fans wearing black.

12. nyjunc

I think it had more to do w/ the 10th anniversary of 9/11 than being a night game as they opened the new Stadium at night in white a year earlier.

Big Cat likes this.
  13. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

One of the things that bugged me about Herm. He insisted on wearing the dark green jerseys in September for day games when it was sunny and blazing hot allowing the other team to wear all white.

Like the guy never took science in grade school.

_

14. nyjunc

2001- only played 1 Sept home game, temps in 70s.
    2002-only 1 Sept home game, we wore white
    2003- 2 sept home games, 1 was 4 PM. the 1PM game was around 80 degrees
    2004-1 sept home game, we wore white
    2005- 2 spet home games. 1 was mid 70s, 1 in 60s.

so really only one of the games we probably should have worn white for heat pruposes('03 vs. Miami week 2)

15. JStokes

Opening day 2001 it was super sunny making it brutally hot--was not in the 70s, probably low 80s minimum at game time and on that floor of the stadium with that old carpet it was probably close to 100.

_

16. nyjunc

they played on grass from 2000-2002. it was a warm day but I don't remember it being brutally hot and it was 76 according to http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200109090nyj.htm

17. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

I hope Jets fans have some pride and keep their seats for this game. I can't stand the thought of a bunch of raiders fans running amuck. How could you give your tickets away for this game? I'm so pumped! Then again Im sure all the fat cats could care less, there are a lot less real football fans in the new stadium, its just a fact. Ah whatever, it will be sweet seeing all those black jerseys walking out in defeat. I've been pumped for this game since the schedule came out, can't wait!

With all that being said, I gotta give some love to the Raiders. Personally, they are what is making this game so exciting for me. They have always been a team that I kind of "love to hate" and its a great classic AFL rivalry. If we were opening up against any other team I would not be quite as pumped. It'll be two passionate fanbases and hopefully a beautiful day (opening day usually is somehow), and I hope everybody has a great time, I know I will.

18. nyjunc

there will be A LOT of Raider fans there, there always are when we play them.

19. JStokes

I remember it being incredibly sunny and brutally hot. One of my most vivid memories of weather at a game, that and the Steelers game in the snow.

_

20. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Yep, gotta give it to their fans, , they come out in droves. Honestly, it should make the game even more interesting. I know that's easy to say as long as the Jets are winning, but I really hope its an exciting game up til the half, and then we put em away in the second half. Opening day always has such an auspicious vibe about it, and this one excites me more than ever.