Available cornerbacks after cuts..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rico college, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

Running backs in this league are a dime a dozen. That's why they don't get drafted in the first round anymore. If we want to get a corner, you have to be willing to give up a defensive lineman, where we have depth.

2. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

all 3 of those guys could net us Dimitri Patterson....oh wait we already have him

3. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

I believe the Rams may be looking for a QB, Wondering if they are willing to wheel and
    deal a little.

4. Exactly. This team has been down it's top 6 cornerbacks!6. It wouldn't have mattered who we brought in via FA under those circumstances..any team would struggle w/ 6 CBs down.

If CB was a strength the whiners would just find some other position to complain about.

74 likes this.
  5. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

It would make no sense for the Jets to trade Vick at this point. And Matt Simms wont get us much of anything.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The problem is that Idzik wasn't going to overpay for guys who simply weren't worth it but their price is driven up because the entire league is freaking out over a Sherman lead defense winning the Super Bowl. Thurmond is a slot corner and had been most of his tenure with Seattle.

The Jets think Cromartie is done and he very well might be as turning your hips is the most important part of being a cornerback. He has a hip injury.

I liken it to when the Buccaneers won the super bowl and look at the deals and draft picks went to defensive tackles the year after their Super Bowl wins. I believe it's something like 4 or 5 within the top 12 of that draft the year after.

People overreact to corners in general. Let's see how the whole defense works as a whole rather than finding the holes and saying it's gonna be the worst in the league. There isn't a team in the NFL that doesn't have holes on their team and there's probably about 24/32 in the NFL that have weak corners.

74 likes this.
  7. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

valid points but a couple things also stand out to me that should have pushed the jets into paying some sort of premium this offseason for corner - we have a certain type of D that is very dependent on solid CB play - exotic blitzes and schemes - to generate a consistent pass rush. corners are put in a very precarious position. we do not have the edge speed to create havoc and cover for subpar CB play. Also our schedule this year is murder and puts us against multiple QB's that can sling the ball all over the field.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

But do you really think Rex is going to leave Ellis Lankster out on island and blitz the hell out of a quarterback while he's trying to guard Demaryius Thomas? No I think he'll throw the corner in a deep third and a backer underneath or leave a safety over the top.

I wish we would've gotten a better cover corner but I doubt he's going to leave someone completely incapable of doing it out on an island. And if he does gamble on it like he did with Cromartie last year then we can't get much worse in our deep coverage.

I think it's a bigger deal to pick and choose his battles with the blitzes and learn to back off with them on 3rd down. Everyone and their mother knows Rex loves to send the 3rd down blitz, to show and back off can be equally as effective when quarterbacks adjust to max protect and send out three man routes.

74 likes this.
  9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

trades are not that common, but the Bucs just managed to solidify their Guard position (Mankins) by giving up a TE and a 4th.
    they had a lot of money, and didn't want their season derailed with poor Oline play. so taking on his contract was worth it for them.

that's what i'm looking for from Idzik.
    But i agree, at this point it won't be easy to just step right in and play. This should have been done earlier.

10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

The Jets are going to have to drop 8 in coverage against good QBs and hope the three down linemen can stop the run.

11. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I hope thats sarcasm. Yes we will be dropping LBs back in coverage more often and playing 3 safeties more often but dropping 8 more often than not would be a disaster. Aaron Rodgers would run all day and play the short game with Lacy and destroy us. Drop back in coverage but getting to the QB is more important. Dont give them time. Dropping 8 and relying on our not as talented corners on keeping with receivers is a horrible strategy.

If Milliner plays to expectations and Pryor plays the way he did this preseason than that is 2/4 of our secondary positions that is better than last year. Dex getting hurt really stinks because I thought he could play well for us but I think people have been blowing our secondary struggles out of proportion. Its really not that much worse than last year. Cro was horrendous last season. Milliner was benched and even worse.

74 likes this.
  12. NewYorkEveryThing

The posts in this topic hav nothing to do with the posters question. I wanted to know also who might get cut before thursdays deadline and all i am reading are comments that are supposed to be funny?

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

14. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

So if Allen is ready in week 1 and Milliner is ready in week 2 and Walls and Wilson are CBs 3 and 4, where is the crisis???????? The season is 16 weeks long, not one week.

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Wilson is never going to be ready.

16. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Do the Packers have any decent corners? I know they lost their NT for the year, so maybe we deal them Ellis for a corner?

17. milo

milo Well-Known Member

I get what you're saying but at this point it's not about saving political face, it's about warm fucking bodies.

We're past the point of arguing about what we should have done in FA or the draft. You can argue that no team in the league has been obliterated by injury at one single position the way we have been at CB.

Screw pride. I'm willing to give up a 4th/4 mill for a legit 2. We can hang on til Dee comes back but we have absolutely no answer on the other side right now.

We have a truck of cap money for a rainy day. It's fucking pouring.

Dreadmadseen likes this.
  18. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Pryor was drafted to compensate for corners who aren't named Revis (and 2012 Cro). With Milliner and Walls we'll be alright. We do need some better depth as Lewis won't cut it.

We should also look to see if Andre Hal, Houston, is cut. He has 5 PD, 2 picks and 2 TDs this pre season.

19. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Keep and eye out for Marcus Roberson and Loucheiz Purifoy both are on the bubble to make the Rams and Colts rosters respectively. Because they were UFAs, they are not getting a ton of snaps. At some point in the draft process these former Gators were projected no later day 2 picks. More importantly they have experience playing press man.

20. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member