A lesson in rollover money, featuring your NY Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Aug 28, 2014.

1. LIJetsFan

LIJetsFan Active Member

So 12 draft picks helps the cap too of course. Draft 12, keep 6 and you've got 6 players that aren't eating up cap space. Helps with the roll over, helps with the depth, helps with team cohesion too I'd say.
    In Izdzik we're got the opposite of Tanny. Granted the new roll over rule only came into being in 2011 but none the less Trader Mike would never have adapted. Idzik is on top of all this sh!t.

2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I like the new roll over rules.

Instead of spending $100M this year, case closed, you spend $400M over 4 years (numbers simplified for 'those' TGG members).

Makes it a lot easier for GMs to handle the ebb and flow of players, contracts, FAs, cap space, etc.

3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If we were up against it b/c Idzik dropped his cash on a cpl of FA, the other half of TGG would be calling him horrible for refusing to plan ahead and reserve some coin for our fav players. haha this is so true...no win situation.

Red Menace likes this.
  4. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I still don't get what this article about "Roll Over Money" has to do with Idzik dropping the ball and not signing even a middle tier Corner ,Patterson is the bottom of the leagues scrap heap of players.And its not like he didn't try to sign DRC he did so you can't use the cap as an excuse in this argument

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I know it hurts, but try to do some research. The deal the Giants gave DRC is not the same as what the Jets were offering. If DRC accepted the 1 year, $6 mil offer we most likely would have had over $15 million to roll over.

6. LongIslandBlitz

I'm not saying we should have signed DRC,but we should have signed someone a step above Patterson and the fact that we had 21 mill for a rainy day makes Idzik look worse in my eyes

7. LongIslandBlitz

This team is exactly like the Mets,always talking about next season and how great we are gonna be "Next Season"

8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This thread isn't supposed to be about the CB position, but I'll bite. Who was a step above Patterson that wouldn't cost us $8-9 million yearly on average? And on top of that, are you telling me the guys that got what they got are worth that? Signing someone regardless of price is a Tanny move, and that's how we got to where we are.

Verner, Flowers... you can make an argument, but neither were a fit in the defensive scheme Rex runs. I mean Flowers played in it last year and looked like shit so you can't really make a case for him either. Verner is the only one. And Cro, of course.

Except no one is saying this. You've completely missed the point of this thread if that's what you're gathering.

9. Superhippy

Superhippy Well-Known Member

Paying DRC would have been a waste of time and money. Regardless of whether they got him or not the Jets were not going to go to the Super Bowl this year. You might as well just roll with the guys you have and see how good your current team can do at the cheapest possible $$$ number. Then either next year or the year after, when it becomes clear that the Jets are only 2 or 3 players away from being real contenders, you go spend the money. That will give the Jets another draft or 2 as well to add talent, and by then hopefully guys like Geno, Pryor, Amaro, and Milliner all shake out and become good players.

The Seahawks did the same thing. They let the team stockpile talent and develop in 2010 and 2011 and then in 2012 and 2013 they signed a handful of players from other teams to go along with the guys they already had, to put them over the top.

When a GM is building a team, you can't panic and try to fill every single hole on the team in the 1st 2 seasons. It won't work. Tanny with the Jets before and although it got them far, it didn't bring a title, and the fallout lead to 3 mediocre seasons.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah but his Jets Madden team is weak in the secondary.

11. LongIslandBlitz

People need to stop comparing everything we do to what the Seahawks have done,They caught a lot of lucky breaks late in the draft,there's 31 other teams in the league and none of them are like the Seahawks except maybe San Fran. How about we become the NY Jets?not Seattle East

FlaJet and abyzmul like this.
  12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This is probably the first post of yours that I didn't think was a turd. Good start!

13. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

So can we keep Idzik for 3 years, just keep rolling cap money, then get Tanny to go nuts on a free agent signing spree in year 4 so we hit the 89% average?

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

To be fair the Jets do get picked apart in madden....

15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

This article has nothing to do about the specific C B selection and everything to do about the constant flow of whining responses by many against Idzik that begin with the innate phrase " we had $21M in cap space and ....etc, etc,etc, as if it was absolutely stupid not to spend it this year, how , well let me count the ways"
    Of course for now obvious reasons is typically attached to the "I want Revis or a better CB thread " simply because that is our problem do jour.

16. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Wasn't aware of this, feel like a bit of a dumbass now. :D Nice writeup.

BroadwayAaron likes this.
  17. NY2MD_FS

NY2MD_FS Member

Well said.

18. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Sorry, cant compare it to the Mets. The Jets will have to spend the money. The Jets declined because of the moves in the 2010 offseason and poor drafting (with the little draft picks they had). The Jets will be back very soon, it might be this season, but they have been trying very hard to win.

The Mets on the other hand went from a team that was trying very hard to win between 2005 and 2009, to a team that has refused to spend and is on a very slow path toward success. The Mets will get there, it really looks like next season is the year if the pitchers can stay healthy (Harvey).

19. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Who to say that Izdik doesn't low ball are players when the time comes for them?

20. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

Fixed, you're welcome.