Anyone still have stock in Stephen Hill? (1 Big Ol Hill Thread)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DanR, Aug 3, 2014.

?

1. Yes, I still have stock

45.8%
  2. Nope, I have no stock in Stephen Hill

54.2%
  1. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

good lord that list is terrible if Hill doesn't pan out.

2. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Yea it isn't the ideal list, but I would rather have people on that list that can catch than waste a spot on some scrub... Going to have to get a premier WR next year either in the draft or in Free Agency.

3. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Agreed and so he should be too. Lots of people wanted to cut him before preseason. I thought that was ridiculous, but always said he had to produce. No more excuses about being raw and having potential. The time was now. He hasn't produced anything of note at all and this really is the last chance saloon for him.

All Gas No Shake and KWJetsFan like this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Exactly. Players can take a long time to reach their potential even as far as into their 6th or 7th year. But that's not before they get cut from a couple teams and such. You can't waste a roster spot on a guy that you hope will come around later in his career for some reason.

Not to mention he has shown nothing that says he will turn into a remotely serviceable player.

Inability to break jams at the line, can't catch the ball unless it's thrown so he can pin it against his chest, improved although still a below average route runner and absolutely no body control to go up and attack a football over a smaller defensive back.

You don't keep a receiver because he has off the field out of pads speed and good blocking ability. I hope he proves me wrong with the Jets and not any other team but he seems like a David Clowney clone who doesn't play special teams and will probably be out of the league in 2 years.

I'd trade him for a 7th ten years from now mainly to keel him away from New England.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

For a run-first team, that depth chart isn't that bad. Add in the TE pass-catchers and you have several reliable pass-catchers on the team that can win matchups.

oh and Chris Johnson too.

HAYN and 74 like this.
  6. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

Play the h... out of him in the last pre-season game. But be sure to give plenty of throws to Salas, Sanders and Hakim so we have a better idea of their usefullness.

7. BookEndTackles 72&79

Barring injuries to Salas AND Gates Hill is as good as gone and I think he knows it. If Hill showed anything at all he would be in over Hakim but Hill put himself in a position to be overridden by Hakim's ST ability as a gunner and KR. With Quigley being erratic Hakim will be important on the punt team to prevent any return yardage. That said, Hakim is as useless as Hill as a receiver. Maybe they can throw him a WR screen, run a reverse with him or just plain tell him to run a fly pattern to take advantage of his elite speed. I hope Marty finds a way Hakim can contribute in some way on offense.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  8. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

At this point Stephen hill is like that kid you played schoolyard football with who you always told to go long and never threw him the ball.

9. BookEndTackles 72&79

I'd be thrilled if the Pats waste a roster spot on him. That offense is based on smarts, timing, rhythm, precise route running and being in synch with Brady. You think Hill has the ability to play in that offense?? Not a chance. Ocho Cinco couldn't even get on the same page with Brady

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

This probably explains why MM and Lal were talking him up in the media. He's toast.

FJF likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Not that I think Hill will be successful anywhere in the league but if anyone could do it it's Brady & the Pats. They've been turning scrubs into stars in the passing game for over a decade.

I'd give it a slim to none chance Hill plays well if he's there but I don't think Belichick would mind giving it a chance just to throw it in the Jets face.

12. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Would you be comfortable cutting Greg Salas in favor of Hill?

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Joey Galloway? Chad Johnson? Chris Baker? Jabar Gaffney?

14. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

I'm thinking they both make the team. But I'd sooner cut him for Salas then I would for Gates.

15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

so are you going to change your avatar after Hill is cut?

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

No they really haven't

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Well to be fair I did say scrubs, not retreads! Point taken though.

The idea of Hill having even a 700-800 yard season pinning bombs to his chest from Brady just frustrates me as much as I doubt it happens

18. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I think Hill will be on the opening day roster. They aren't going to cut him after 2 years regardless of how bad he might be. I just flash back to that qst game of his rookie season and want to throw up because that was it for him. The best we'll ever see out of him and it was a fluke.

19. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

It's shocking that nobody would trade for Hill. That said, I think this proves staff probably realizes he doesn't deserve to be on the roster. Thursday will be telling.
    Also, there's a good chance a decent receiver shakes loose from teams with better receivers than us ( which is most teams) on Saturday. Preston Parker on the giants looked good against us and Stevie Johnson could be on the outs in SF...

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Maybe stars is a stretch but receivers who have done absolutely nothing outside their work with Brady, while having good seasons with Brady.

David Patten, Deion Branch, David Givens, Julian Edelman, Reche Caldwell (albeit with Cassell), all have been the #1 or #2 options with the Patriots being the only team that could field receivers like that.

As posted before there's cases to both sides of retread receivers flopping with New England and average receivers flourishing.