Why Are We $21 MM Under The Cap ?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

What if you make it to the Snoopy Bowl?

2. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Idzik has a daughter.

TNJet likes this.
  3. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

I heard the Jets will be moving to LA after this season and changing names.

4. Monty_Droppings

Monty_Droppings Active Member

On any Given Sunday ™.... Anything can happen. Look at the 7-9 Seahawks in the playoffs from a few years back. Everyone thought they were a joke and we completely overmatched by the Saints, they ended up winning by 2 touchdowns.

Unlikely? Yes. If you have a string of incredible luck, anything could happen. Therefore any team is a Superbowl Contender, however long the odds may be.

Imagine if every game the Jets played ended with a "Levonte David shoving our QB out of bounds" to put us in a position to win.

Talent mismatches on paper are interesting in football, some truly incredible things can happen. The Jets can lose 45-3 then manage to smoke the same team in the playoffs.

Unlikely? Yes. If you have a string of incredible luck, anything could happen. Therefore any team is a Superbowl Contender, however long the odds may be.

5. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Any team is a Superbowl Contender?That's completley false

6. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Again if this was all about 'saving cap money' why was Idzik even in on Verner, DRC and others? He missed out on corners for one reason or another period, it had nothing to do with saving cap space.

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

it wouldn't have affected our '15 cap but revis wasn't brought back for other reasons unfortunately.

8. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

Indeed there is a reason and you are right - it has nothing to do with cap space. Idzik has a model of what certain players and specific positions are worth. This is what he learned in Arizona and Seattle and is what he is implementing in NY. He won't overpay a player just because of positional need or cap availability.

This approach has worked rather successfully in Pittsburgh and New England where they regularly allow good players to walk due to salary demands. Of course this is easier to swallow when you have a franchise QB who wins Super Bowls on the roster.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  9. nyjunc

not one of them has played a single game yet.

so we should have overpaid for a mediocre corner like Rodgers-Cromartie b/c we had a need this year? the only moves I didn't like were not going after revis or not re-signing Cro. other than that I was fine w/ what we did at corner.

10. nyjunc

it wasn't all about saving cap money, it was about signing the right guys at the right price. He's not going to give big money to anyone, he would have taken those other corners at his price not at their price.

The Uniform Bomber likes this.
  11. Chrebet Fo' Ever

While I don't know the specifics of the deal Idzik offered Verner, he tried to get DRC in here on a 1 year - 6 mil deal, which would have been the perfect deal - for us. That would have still kept plenty of cap to roll over plus helped rectify our CB situation for this year. That said, DRC understandably wanted a long term deal and wen to the Giants for 5 years. Nevertheless Idzik was smart to give the deal a shot; it didn't work out so now we have even more money to roll into next year.

12. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the speech but this isn't pee wee ball we can cut the bullshit

13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

It's amazing to me that people still don't understand why not signing DRC to the kind of deal he wanted would have been a bad idea. It's been how many months now? If you didn't understand why at the time, you should at least understand now considering the amount of schooling that goes on here on the topic.

14. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

I love to crucify Idzik but i cant blame him for injuries. I did want him to sign a corner and of course now it looks like we most certainly should have but It was a position they gambled with and at this point lost. I assume there thinking was Dee Milliner makes huge steps fwd this year and becomes a quality starter and also through the draft they find another corner who in year two would be above average. leaving the 21 m in cap space leads me to believe the Jets view this as a little more than another developmental year, and after this season they would have a ton of money to fill gaps and sign players they need and make a strong push for the SB.

abyzmul likes this.
  15. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Yea unless Geno doesn't pan out then we are back to square one again

16. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

Thats part of the process...or in reality the everything. They want to find out right now is this the guy that's gonna move this organization fwd, if not were going to have to go and get a qb.

17. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

True... But he was being smart not over paying when we have up & coming STARS (Wilk, Rich, Snacks, Demario, AA, Milliner, Pryor, maybe even GENO if he pans out) at home... we dont wanna end up like San Fran with players bitching every week over their money and them feeling like they 'deserve" more than others, and i damn sure would hate to lose one of those names i listed bc we over paid for DRC or overrated ass Verner out of desperation... I like what idzik is doing... you become a Jet..your here to compete first then earn that big money, not get paid first then half ass the whole year because your rich and your team is gonna suck anyway. If a guy thinks he's "worth" more than building a solid long term foundation then F-k em. Were gonna get there, and when all of our player reach their potential and are paid... THEN we can go splurge for a quick fix.

#FreeWalls

18. Monty_Droppings

Monty_Droppings Active Member

I am just looking at this as a factor of probability. On any given Sunday I do believe that any team has a chance to win no matter due to the inherent random factor in the game (injuries to a star player, a bad playcall, miscommunication that results in a pick-6, weather). Lets say that the '13 Jaguars have a 1/9500 chance of beating the '13 Broncos, that 1/9500 chance of them winning being Peyton getting injured plus Osweiler throwing a couple pick sixes. For Arguments sake, lets say this happens to several teams that the Jaguars play. All the sudden a team that was at risk of going 0-16 goes 9-7 and makes the playoffs. They continue to get lucky with random factors such as these and win the Superbowl. Granted, due to Multiple Bernoulli's, these odds are exponentially increasing with every game they play, but it is still possible.

I guess where we differ is our definition of "Superbowl Contender". I believe a "contender" is anyone/any team that has a chance of winning. I think your definition of "Contender" is someone with a HIGH probability of winning, which I think is fair enough.

As far as "any given sunday" is concerned, just look at the '13 Jets. We were -97 point differential, and yet we went 8-8. The inherent randomness in this game is part of what makes it so exciting to watch.

19. Mr Mushroom

Mr Mushroom Member

I guess we're saving it for a rainy day

20. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Agreed.

I can understand Revis. I just think to many peoples feelings are hurt in that situation. It's unfortunate, but at this point it is what it is I guess.

Looking back on things it probably would have been a good idea to bring Cro back at a reduced rate, even coming off a bad year and regardless of if they signed Patterson or not. Just to have some more veteran presence for a bunch of other younger corners, particularly Milliner, and McDougle.

I think people would have felt a lot better going into training camp with a CB group of Cromartie, Milliner, Patterson, McDougle, Walls, Wilson, and Lankster. It definitely takes more pressure off of some of the younger players out there.

And considering Cromartie would be coming back healthy and with an even strong front 7 and a new safety to help, I think it would have made things a lot easier for him.

nyjunc likes this.