Giants game impressions

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenBlues, Aug 22, 2014.

1. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

- Geno and the offense in general looked really good. Can't read too much into it, because Giants don't seem to have a lot of talent on defense these days, but still, I really liked what I saw. The long throws by Geno, in particular, were impressive.
    - I am really starting to like Amaro. He doesn't make explosive or amazing plays, but the guy catches pretty much everything thrown at him, and with his size, that just gives the QBs a great target.
    - Running backs all looked good, Johnson and Ivory in particular, and the OL blocking seems to be in good shape.
    - Decker, Kerley, and Salas looked good, Hill was Hill again, Gates teased as usual and then struggled.
    - Loved the front seven on defense today. I think they took the criticism about last week to heart and came out with more passion. Wilkerson and Richardson were both very active, Coples looked amazing for a while, Snacks was doing his thing, and Davis and Pace were all over the field.
    - The secondary keeps dropping like flies. After a really great play, AA goes out with a head injury, which was a real bummer. I think he can actually be a quality corner in the NFL, as long as he's anywhere near the receiver, he can make a play on the ball.
    - Walls played pretty well today although I am still not sold on him being starting cornerback material.
    - Brandon Dixon, who I had some hopes for, really struggled today, getting beat on many long throws. The only upside is that he was near the receiver on most of those, so hopefully with more experience, he can learn to play the ball better.
    - Pryor did not look nearly as good today as he did last week. I guess playing against first team offense is a little harder. He did make some stops as the last man, but no real highlight plays.

JetsVilma28 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

Brandon Dixon and Kyle Wilson were definitely the weak links for us this game.

Other than that I can't say I was disappointed in any other player really.

I'm guessing AA will be back by week one, hopefully Milliner will be too. The only problem is he'll have less time to get more experience at corner.

Our running backs are going to be very exciting. CJ is fast and Ivory just does not go down.

Pryor was quieter, but I didn't see any glaring negative plays. I didn't trace him on the field much so I really have no gauge how he did.

Walls did okay, making some plays, but he also gave up that big completion.

Our 1st team run D wasn't as dominant as last year, but I'm not too concerned. The Sons showed their flashes of dominance, making Eli uncomfortable.

We got some good depth at run D. Our secondary depth is not very good.

I wanna see a replay of that Hill drop. Couldn't tell if the corner touched it. He probably still should have made that catch, but it may not have been awful.

Amaro is making strides. Looks a little awkward but definitely improving.

Salas did well in limited action, I wanna see him next week.

I was impressed with Babin and Coples.

Geno looked much more comfortable on the field. I really hope he's turned a corner. Can't wait to see him week 1.

Overall I'm pretty impressed with our first string team. Once we get our starters back in the secondary, our defense will be much improved.

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  3. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

Ivory literally exploded through the hole tonight. Winters only pissed me off a little bit. Amaro looks like what we hope he will be. Geno looked confident and calm. Hill is bad.

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  4. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

Where was Lankster tonight? Surprised they didn't give him a shot between Wilson's ineptitude and the Allen injury

5. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

:D
    Geno looks good! poised, making good decisions, in control.

RB's look awesome, Ivory is very fun to watch, gonna be a force for us.

:)
    WR's look good! mostly… Amaro looked a little shaky but came up when needed, even got a TD!

O-line looked good in protection, but a couple penalty's from them killed some drives.

:confused:
    pass rush looked better but that could have been a side effect of a poor NYG O-line.

Walls looked pretty good, he should be get starting reps if Dee and Patterson aren't ready.

:(
    Wilson… I, I don't think I need to say more.

Hill still having problems, not too sure about giving him a roster spot, certainly not on the basis of having a lot of upside. None of it s translating on the field, its frustrating to watch, I hope he's not kept in favor of Salas or Nelson.

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  6. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

So close.

Brook! likes this.
  7. DanR

DanR Active Member

Get Kyle Wilson off my team.

8. 3lixer.

3lixer. Active Member

Salas deserves a roster spot but deserves and gets are 2 different things (see Danny Woodhead vs. Joe McKnight).

9. Sloup

Sloup Active Member

10. Matthew_McBride

Matthew_McBride Active Member

Seems like Amaro has made progress ever week. Really liked what I saw from him.

The secondary held up better than I thought it would, Kyle Wilson wasn't "as" bad as you guys are making it out to be. Would've been nice if he got that pick. I liked Walls.

Wish we could've gotten a turnover...2 fumbles, 0 recovered.....2 near interceptions. Hopefully we're more lucky during the reg. season.

Decker looked good except for end-zone drop.

Hill is an offensive Kyle Wilson, they both make me pull my hair out. We have to keep Wilson, Hill not so much, I'd rather Salas.

Honestly, I think Geno would've won the QB competition even if it was fair. I think he's been night and day different than last year. Tonight he should've had 2 TDs.

By far the best thing was the running backs, omg Ivory and Johnson just getting yards on screens and long runs at will, so awesome...

I'm excited for the season!

11. DanR

DanR Active Member

You know what, I'm fine with this. Even though Wilson is less valuable than Hill this makes a lot of sense. Because at least at the WR position, we have options. And I guess we keep Wilson due to the injuries so we have less options.

But the Jets gotta get rid of Wilson or Hill. Keeping both is a move in the wrong direction.

12. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

Geno looked good, especially when i saw him not force things and just run out of bounds.

Our running backs look solid.

Wilson is a bum and needs to be cut.

13. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Rex just named Geno as week 1 starter

14. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

Geno was terrific and looked like a leader! Winters was very good as was BRICK and NICK. You have to like the way AA was playing prior to the injury. He is a talent. Hakeem deserves a shot due to his special teams play. Gates must go with Hill. Salas and Amaro looked good. decker is very good. Sudfeld played well too. But the night belonged to GENO!

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  15. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

Oh good, I was almost left in a dark fog of suspense over who would get the job, and the result was truly shocking. :rolleyes:

16. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Offense

-Geno looked good. I hope it translates to the regular season.

-Amaro gets better every game. He looks legit.

-Decker was good outside of the drop in the end zone.

-Ivory and Johnson were running like mad men. This run game is going to be special.

-O line was solid. I was annoyed at that Winters penalty that negated a 20 yard play from Kerley.

17. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Defense

-Walls was solid but he has worse hands than Hill. He has to make the catch on that int, those plays are game changers.

-Allen was alright playing CB, he did have a nice pass deflection. I hope he's alright and not hurt too bad.

-The dline was in mid season form. They caused havoc.

-Coples looked good I hope he does this in the regular season.

-Babin was an awesome pick up. He played well.

18. -Offense looks the best it has under Rex.Too bad the game didn't count. Health will be important but this team has alot of weapons & a great OL
    -OL has been great run blocking against these 4-3's. They are much more effective in gap blocking than they are in ZBS which we saw against Indy. Wonder if that's a 3-4 vs. 4-3 thing?
    -Amaro making big Strides. Showing much better toughness & improving his route depth. Looks like a long time starter to me
    -CJ2K really starting to find his stride.Showing better quickness in & out of breaks every week
    -Did I mention I hate the Giants? Apart of me wished Colon,Winters & Giacomini brought out the Run ins again.Richardson's hit on Williams was beautiful
    -Seen enough of Hill.Way too many drops
    -Salas just makes plays
    -Really liked Salim as returner over Ford. Maybe he's the answer as the speed guy
    -DL were all over Eli & looked alot more aggressive/quicker in this one.Rex didn't blitz much at all.He didn't really have to
    -I thought Davis had a lousy outing. He didn't get good depth on 1st TD & missed acouple tackles.He's better than that
    -Harris looks so much quicker & loose than he did the last 2 seasons
    - Coples must be accounted for & he creates production for others w/ his length as well as agility.Exactly what Rex said he'd be when they drafted him
    - Would love to see Babin stay healthy..he & Barnes(If he comes back) compliment eachother well as subpackage rusherxdepending on situation
    -Pryor had a few big hits but much quieter this week. Almost seemed like Giants were avoiding his area
    -Hoping AA is good to go week one. Was really pleased w/ his effort & think he could be the answer at #2 CB
    - Walls looked solid. I like him as the dime in man looks & nickel in zone looks( W/ Lankster at the other slot)
    -Wasn't thrilled w/ the back-up safeties except for Bush, He's really become a physical safety & has always had good range. Better in zone than man though
    -Despite some struggles i really like Brandon Dixon's upside. Very athletic, physical tackler & has ability to close. he just needs to work on locating the ball. I think he has a future

silent scream likes this.
  19. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Bush looked really good in run support, didn't really see him in coverage.
    Ford didn't impress at all. I hope he isn't taking somebody's roster spot.
    I was pleased with Babin and Coples--seems like OLB has been a weakness for us for a long time, and now there's at least a chance it could be a plus.
    I do agree we need to cut one of the two: Wilson or Hill. It's good to give a guy with potential opportunities, especially after we've invested high picks in them, but we can't keep dragging both these guys around hoping they turn into something eventually.

20. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I attended the game (spur of the moment) and I liked what I saw out of both Geno and Vick. I think it's fair to assume Vick will see the field plenty whether he didn't get the starting job nod.

D looked good too, but that secondary... yikes.