Where are we after the first 7 weeks of the season?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FabulousDisaster, Aug 19, 2014.

1. FabulousDisaster

FabulousDisaster New Member

Brutal schedule to start the year aside from Oakland. Rodgers, Cutler, Stafford, Rivers, Manning, Brady.... They better shore up that secondary real quick.

Being a realist I say 2 wins....maybe 3
    Yeah I'm a little concerned.

2. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I say they beat Oakland and either Detroit or Chicago.

Could beat Rivers, could beat Brady.

I do not like the chances against Green Bay and Denver.

FabulousDisaster likes this.
  3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Worst case 2-5

Best case 4-3.

My expectation is 3-4.

Remaining 9 games isn't as brutal. If we go 6-3 after the first seven, we might make the playoffs. Let's see.

NYJetsO12 and FabulousDisaster like this.
  4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

We're at home against the Bills.

Brook! and FJF like this.
  5. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

We need it least 3 wins. We should be able to take care of Oakland week 1. Detroit, Chicago, and Denver will be tough but those are at least in our building. New England doesn't scare me like they probably should. What I mean by that is that I don't think they'll blow us out or anything like Chicago and Denver have the ability to do, even Green Bay as well.

I'll be optimistic and say we go 3-4 with wins against Oakland, Detroit, and at San Diego.

6. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

4-3 or 5-2

Wins against Oakland, 2 wins out of Chicago, GB and Detroit, win at SD and maybe one win between Denver and NE
    NFL record for personal foul penalties in a game by both teams against Detroit

6-3 or 7-2 the rest of the year

Between 10-6 and 12-4 for the year

7. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

Manning has struggled in the past against Rex Ryan defenses and Cutler gets rattled easily and hopefully the defense will bring it that game. ( Specially if Holmes is still on the field/team ).

Depending how our secondary shapes up here, the schedule isn't really all that bad. The only really tough game to count is the Green Bay game specially if our secondary is still banged up, That team is stacked against ours pretty well across the boards.

4-3 is not out of the question, ( losses: Dev/Chi, @NE ,GB ).

I'm sure this has already been brought up, But wtf is up with the 3rd? year running of facing the pats on a short week?

8. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I don't understand that either. It's 3 years in a row now like you said.

Nothings out of the question. I'm really just making a baseless prediction based off of a couple series worth of preseason action, what i've read, and see on paper. We could easily give Manning fits. Cutler is 2-0 against us in his career but things are different each year.

I've been saying that i'm not to worried about the secondary, but right now with Milliner hurt and the only play we've seen out of Patterson being bad, it's a fair concern. I'm looking at teams like GB, Detroit, Chicago, and Denver and wondering how we're going to stop their passing attack. It's still early though and you never know how things are going to play out. Those teams obviously have holes as well. I still trust Rex to be able to hide the weaknesses as best he can on our defense.

9. FabulousDisaster

FabulousDisaster New Member

You hate to say that the first part of the season is "crucial" but in this case it really is. If we get through this stretch 4-3 I'd be happier than hell...but I'll take 3-4 too.

10. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

With Det we should be able to roll coverages towards their strong side, They have few other receivers that can kill us outside of their CJ. Issue with those 2 teams will be the combo of stopping their running game AND their #1 WR.

The Bears will be a good test for us as they have respectable pass catchers at each level. Specially coming off the GB game where we might get exposed a little bit by Rogers and their WR copr.

We will need to have our coverage dialed in for that game.

11. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I don't know why everyone is so dismissive of the Raiders. I think that game is winnable. But it's not a forgone conclusion as some are making it out to be. Those are the kinds of games that historically the Jets lose.

Everyone is worried about the offenses we will be facing (rightfully so) but those teams have bad pass defenses. If our defense can contain their offense and if our offense can take advantage of their bad pass defense. We can beat some of those teams.

12. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

Green Bay only scored 9 against us the year they won it all. Rodgers was rattled. Nelson beat Revis for a long TD but Rodgers overthrew him. Sanchez did squat that game and had two balls ripped away from receivers that were ruled interceptions. Then again, this time we play in Green Bay and don't appear to have a secondary that can handle their passing attack.

Either 4-3 or 3-4 to start I would say

13. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

people are dismissive of the Raiders the same way other fanbases are dismissive of the Jets. neither team is expected to be elite or possibly even good, and as a fan we tend to minimize the ability of fringe teams while exaggerating the potential of our own fringe team.

until the Raiders show us they are any good we are going to believe we are better, just as the Raiders fans feel the same about the Jets.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

If you remember that game though the windy conditions were brutal. I'd blame it more on that than Rodgers inability to execute. Had to have been 25 mph+ along with the swirling effect.

I'd say 3-4 is a decent place to be all things considered with the schedule. We need to get 2/3 against the Bears/Lions/Chargers and the better bet might be the first two games due to our trouble in California over the past couple years. The Chargers are the more beatable team but drawing them in San Diego really sucks even though we've faired well there of all places out west.

15. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

We are in no position to be cocky about the Jets until the Jets prove they are good. I'm entering the season cautiously optimistic.

16. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Not that I'd ever go to the Raiders Fan Forum, but you have to believe in their prediction thread they are looking at the Jets as one of their put-it-in-the-bank wins.

_

17. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

The Pats are also playing us on a short week.

18. Monty_Droppings

Monty_Droppings Active Member

Playing the Pats is always a 50/50 kinda oddity. Either we get blown out, or we fight a close one the whole way though. I'll hope we get blown out in the first game, so that rex can use the "us against the world" card when we play them week 16 with bleak playoff hopes on the line.

19. max

max Active Member

I may have just been going over the schedule too much and fallen into this locked up mindset, but ....

I kind of think the same way as you. I think there is no way we make it to the playoffs unless we win that late in the season home game against the pats.

Even though it may sound crazy,I also think if we lose to raiders week 1 we miss the playoffs.

20. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

Who the hell knows. 98% of this board said we were definitely losing to the Falcons on MNF last year before the season started and we beat them.

Teams dramatically change once the season starts. And with Rex as our coach I'd rather play a team with a good offense and bad defense than the other way around (chargers, lions, bears, and packers all meet that criteria).