Top 5 defense my arse

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

So does that mean we'll be waiting another 9 years for him to reach double digit sacks?

NYJetsO12 and NYJETS4life24 like this.
  2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

what's currently bothering me about the Jets is the out of sync timelines being afforded to the GM and HC.

Idzik is completely approaching this as a rebuild in year 2. He knows he has 4 years whether the fans are patient or not.
    It bothers me that he has the opportunity to move like a tortoise, but Rex is expected to be the Hare with Tortoise legs.

If we are rebuilding, then the Jets should play out that rebuild with consistency. let Idzik's slow roll play out with Rex and Marty at the coaching helm.

While I like Idzik's approach, I think we are a quality CB, and an OT (at least depth) away from being a playoff contender. If we are more content with making a run in 2015 then competing for a playoff spot in 2014, then that is more reflective of Idzik's team building strategy than it is of the coaching ability.

#62 BacktoQueens, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
    LAJet, Br4d and Jets Esq. like this.
  3. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

You guys know that wasn't the real starting secondary right? Like I'm not taking crazy pills. For christ sakess Rex put AA on a top 5 wideout, and these defensive game plans are very Vanilla. I'm not making excuses for Rex he'll have to earn his money this year, but you guys need to relax

JetLifeLo and NYJETS4life24 like this.
  4. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

Also Geno looked about a million times better than he did last year, and the safety position looks like its gonna be a strength this year with Landry AA and Pyror, and even Rontez. But lets keep freaking out about a corners that aren't even in the starting unit

5. Dreadmadseen

Dreadmadseen Active Member

So the Jets are the only team in the NFL that has to deal with a salary cap? How can other teams field good teams but the Jets can't because of the salary cap?

6. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

You wrote that in "New York Cash is King" and 'Spend the cash get the talent we need...bargain shop on middle ground and back-end players..not Starters" so you obviously thought the rules as to spending money apply differently for New York teams, which leads me to believe you are a Yankees fan. Deny it if you are not. The Yankees can throw money at problems, NFL teams like the Jets can't. And you can't spend money for top line starters at every position. Idzik is trying to build a perennial winner, not go for broke one year at a time. He wasn't going to spend needlessly on a CB. Other teams field good teams by building through the draft and making smart free agent signings - see Seattle for example, where our GM learned how to build a team. The teams that go on free agent binges are usually losing teams and the spending doesn't work - see Buffalo and Washington as examples. The Yankees model doesn't work in the NFL. Cash isn't King in the NFL, smart spending is.

Br4d and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  7. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Nice to see that nobody is freaking out after preseason game number 2, a time when Rex uses vanilla coverage, when the starting defense has not played together for a single snap.

8. joe

joe Well-Known Member

"Hey Mr. Wilson!…..you still suck!!"

[​IMG]

Jets69 and Jetaho like this.
  9. Dreadmadseen

So counting on an oft injured db in Dimitri Patterson to be your starting cb is smart??

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. Look..should we be jumping for joy at the way the #1 D performed? Of course not. But did you guys really expect our D to come out & dominate w/ 5 corners down w/ injury??

Rex always plays very vanilla defense in the preseason. Last year the DL had a very similar type of preseason. I believe the reason is they are playing just straight up 2 gap across the board.While the DL is extremely talented & capable of playing such a scheme, what makes them special compared to other units is their versatility. They are all capable of playing different techniques (Stack/shed, 3 technique,zone reads, contain etc) at a high level.This allows Rex to throw a lot of different looks at blocking schemes which becomes very disruptive & eventually explosive. We just aren't gonna see any of this till Oakland week 1.

As for the secondary..I'm not ready to become concerned till I see them struggle w/ both Milliner & Pryor on the field at the same time w/ Rex's full array of play calls. Until then...I think struggles this time of year can be a blessing in disguise.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  11. I'm not really sure where this idea came from but everyone keeps assuming Patterson is a shoe in to start. He was only signed for 3 mil. I think the hope was he'd come in & compete..hold down the fort in hopes that one of the Jets numerous young role players stepped up. It could still happen. I actually don't think Antonio Allen played that badly considering it was his first time playing corner & was matched up against AJ Greene.

As for Patterson..There's no guarantee he even makes the team let alone starts.

12. Dreadmadseen

I think it's a way to get the head coach fired...

13. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I keep reading how we have one of the best front 7 in football,,,my problem is I
    think we have a very good front 5 maybe I will give you 6,,,,,,,still big questions at OLB for me

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets aren't going to go get another CB unless one drops in their laps in the final cuts. Rex is going to have to play a lot of Cover 2 this year is my guess.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Woody Johnson has seen a lot of football at this point. He's seen Cowher and Lewis get significant leeway in rebuilding times and then come out on top. I'm guessing Rex is not on the kind of hot seat that people commonly claim. If the Jets have a disastrous season he'll get fired, but that's true of almost any NFL coach. I'm guessing 8-8 is more than good enough to hold the job into 2015 when the Jets will have a lot of cap space and some real talent built up. That's the year when you'd expect Idzik to make a play for a couple of free agents alongside the Jets draft picks.

NYJETS4life24 likes this.
  16. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I don't think the problem is as magnified as many on here are making it out to be. I am guilty of making rash claims when I saw it happening, but I've thought it over and I'm not very worried. On Saturday we faced one of the best receivers in the game who was being covered by a guy who never played corner in his life. Patterson, who had a bad first outing, was injured and Milliner was injured. Pryor was playing with the two's as well. Per Rex, the TD pass was a blown double coverage and while Wilson needs to turn his head, you also have to take into account that the safety was not there to help. Could have been a different result had the safety been there.

Rex will do what he does best and field a very good if not great defense. We will be in a lot of cover 2 and if Milliner and Patterson get back on the field, we are back at having average to good corners. Pryor will be starting and the hits will be coming. I'm not too worried about it and I'm not holding much stock in preseason.

Br4d, Jetaho and NYJETS4life24 like this.
  17. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

You need to be worried about it.. We have one starting caliber corner in Milliner and the jury is still out on him... The rest are career backups... We will be fine if the D-Line gets in the QB's face every play, but if the QB's we are about to face Weeks 2-9 have time to throw, they will all be passing for 300+ yards... I am as optimistic as you when it comes to the Jets, but the last 2 weeks have curbed my optimism ten fold.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Wow that is just amazing analysis. You should be on ESPN with that detail! You've gotta be joking. Our defense looked better than it did last preseason, in fact the 2nd and 3rd string D is actually holding their own pretty well, which shows depth on defense. D is that last thing I'm worried about on this team. If the offense can even be semi decent we'll be a playoff contender. OMG Allen got burned playing a diff position! It's the end of the world! Milliner is only out until the regular season starts most likely.

19. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I agree. Counting on signing an effective cut is unlikely. Gotta look for one, but it probably is not happening.

Idzik played this very badly.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

IMHO, here is the perspective reflected by many of the fan base for 2014. I will get flamed but so be it.

1 - It really does not matter than the Jets are looking improved on both sides of the ball, it is almost irrelevant that Geno and the OL are looking far more cohesive, with the QB in control for a change, or that the running game is scary good and the passing game far more consistent. No, it does not matter at all. Forget the fact that the D is showing a super aggressive propensity to force turnovers, or that Pryor is looking like a stud out of the gate, complimenting some young studs in special teams that are starting to make some serious noise. No, forget the fact that we are starting to put together a young, super talented team that needs to stay together for a few years to put us over the top, or that when is all well and done we might be one CB away from a serious contender for the playoffs.

2- None of that matters, let's revert back to the norm, lets focus on the negative and continue the tradition...Woody sucks, Rex sucks, Idzik sucks, Geno is not the answer, Sanchez was mistreated, Revis is the answer, on and on. For Pete's sake, it appears to some nothing is done right since the days of our founding fathers and Purcell.

3- We are not perfect by any means, penalties are a killer, albeit this time they are a result of over aggressiveness and "don't fuck with us" as opposed to dumb stupidly as in the past. Our secondary is suspect, got burned for one touchdown on a broken coverage, in the midst of experimenting with back up CBs so many here are ready to jump off the bridge. I think is pretty clear we don't have two top cover one man to man CB, we get it, not too many teams do. Geno release /timing is a concern. But isn't it time to balance the good with the bad and put things in perspective.

4- The fact of the matter is that we are getting better, much better than in the past through the draft, with selected free agency pick ups. Our salary cap will allow for the nucleous to stay together, and injuries non withstanding we might be pleasantly surprised how close we might be. The QB question will be answered soon enough but at least for once we have a no shit NFL back up.

For many, like it or not, it's time to bury the 44 years of suffering and focus on the future. I think it might be brighter that some of this fan base thinks. Let's not screw it up and revert back to our old ways.

Sorry for the rant. I love this team and remain optimistic we are going down the right track.