CB Crisis! Who is available to play CB?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Sanchize0829, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

To be clear, I of course do not intend to sound like I think Rex will throw up his hands and give up if he does not have cb's who can play man. But your last paragraph contains the key point. It's not really what he wants to do.

2. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I get that but the other poster was going with the Idzik low balled him mantra so I wanted to see if there was anything backing that up or not. I am thinking the conversation may have never even got to money, they probably wanted to judge if he was actually interested in playing first, not just looking for a paycheck.

He might be in need of some money though, he put his mansion that he built in 2008 on the market recently.

3. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

Yeah, I think it's just tweets from beat reporters, without any sources. Teams will want to see that he's still in shape before they offer him anything (i.e. has he been working out like a fiend for 8 months, or sitting around eating?), and they can't do that over the phone, so I doubt that Idzik lowballed him.

4. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

Talking Asante?

Asante would be a horrible pickup. He can't play anymore and is injured. We'd be in the same situation next year since he would sign on a 1 year deal. No need to overpay for a guy like that...all Asante does is sniff for the ball and plays risky. He's not known for coverage...he's known for INTs.

5. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I think the thing that really hurt the defense last year was that the whole shit secondary thing caught Rex Ryan by surprise. Rex went into the season truly believing that he would be solid at CB, since Cro was coming off a spectacular 2012 season and he really liked what he saw in Milliner pre-draft. It's hard to adjust midseason when you have a defense predicated on man-playing corners and your 2 corners are getting burnt regularly.

People might get tired of saying it, but Rex truly is a defensive genius. Now that he knows that cornerback is a problem, I trust that given an entire offseason to adapt, he'll find a way to compensate for the lack of elite CB play. He certainly won't be counting on them like he has in the past.

6. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

Rex couldn't have possibly known. Cromartie was coming off a stellar Pro Bowl season. Dee Milliner was chosen 9th overall and was projected to be an elite corner. That sure sounded like a great secondary to me.

Now that we have foresight...it's easy to say that.

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

This post clearly confirms why Idzik is the GM and you, thank God are not. This is so far out of reality is laughable. My first impression was to stop reading after the "we overreached for Geno in the second" comment. Then your assertion we did not need a TE like Amaro put this over the top. LOL

8. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

Yup, talkin' Asante.

I don't think it'd hurt to bring him in for a workout, but hopefully we'll have better options already on the team. I'd expect all the current street free agents to be bad, or have big question marks, and I don't think it'd be good to take another injury prone guy.

Hopefully we'll pick up a decent CB on cut day.

9. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

10. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

11. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Aahahaha!

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's not a great situation but it's really not a sky is falling situation as everyone is making it out to be.

The idea is that the pass rush is going to be improved with Babin in 3rd and long situations and progression from Richardson & Wilkerson. You can't underrate the fact that Babin is more than likely going to be singled a lot of the time due to a double on Mo.

Rex's defense is predicated on deception as much as it is the press man coverage. I hope he sees the ability to adapt in that Dee seems much better on playing off the receiver and closing on the route then pressing and backpedaling into the coverage. He seems to get a bit more lost when he runs with the receiver from the line of scrimmage.

The blitz has become somewhat predictable which is why hopefully we'll be able to get to the quarterback somewhat effectively with 4 or 5 guys. Teams know that they need to max protect on 3rd and 6+ because Rex just runs up 7 guys on the line and usually sends them all. When facing all these good quarterbacks in a row Rex is going to need to be able to show blitz and drop out a lot more than he does because if they keep 6 or 7 in to block and we have man across the board elite quarterbacks make the right read on crossing patterns and we're essentially screwed.

Ideally two great press corners would be great for a coach that likes to send the house all the time but when you have corners running free from way out wide that's still 4 or so seconds to get rid of the ball which is plenty of time for the Peyton and Aaron Rodgers of the league. We need interior pressure in these guys face rather then free rushers running from a mile away. It happened too much, because as great as it is to get a corner running free from the slot teams usually account for that on the quarterbacks open side so he can see it rather than the blind side.

It's on Rex to adapt to his personel. He wanted his great front 7 which is why we have 3 first round defensive lineman in his tenure. He needs to let those guys do their job and patch around the secondary with zones.

Turbocharged23, FJF and rohirrim665 like this.
  13. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

I think Milliner's main weakness might be more accurately described as trouble dealing with comeback routes. He played off a lot more to cope with that but even when he was in press towards the end of the season I think he showed an ability to stick with receivers on the long routes, but he frequently wasn't aware enough to react when the receiver digs and that's how he got burned most. I also chalk that up mainly to inexperience and a shaky transition but don't see why that would automatically be the case throughout his career, he seems to have all of the potential in the world despite this further setback.

Regardless, it's nice to look for a little silver lining in all of this but let's not sugarcoat the gravity of this loss. CB2 was already going to be a patchwork position this year and the defense was going to rely on Milliner stepping up big year two as much as anyone could ask for the unit to be truly successful. I think Milliner probably would've done the job when called upon but now we're left without even a clearly solid CB2 unless you want to get optimistic on Walls let alone an even vaguely viable CB1 for a good chunk of the season. And who knows where Dee will be in his effectiveness when he does return, the lost experience is going to hurt him down the stretch let alone any lingering injury effects.

Rex better get real creative and Idzik too, because this really sucks no two ways around it.

14. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry if this has been covered already, but is trading for Johnathan Joseph a viable option at all? I've heard it mentioned but how realistic and smart would it be?

15. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

His main weakness is that he can't catch the ball.

16. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

What do you call a CB that can catch?

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

A wide receiver.

RuJFan likes this.
  18. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

A wide receiver. The ones who can't catch become DBs.

Jetsruby likes this.
  19. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Idzik has to get on the phone NOW with the Bengals.

I have been saying since this all happened The Bengals are the team we need to target for a trade!

They are deep at CB (Newman, Jones, Kirkpatrik, Hall, Dennard) but weak at WR and with Marvin Jones out for a while they are in even rougher shape.

20. steviep

steviep Active Member

i was at the game on thursday -- and after a few series -- we said who is that? (ans: Patterson) -- he was terrible. One pre season game. I know. 9 years in the league. I know. He looked awful.