Mangini's decision to go for it

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by #28Martin, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

And watch it with the moron talk, or we won't be seeing you back.

2. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

the play call is really what bothered me. since the Jets were at the 2, the play action pass was the most obvious call. add to that it was a PA bootleg and the Jets cut-off the field for Chad with only one option to throw to.

don't think I would have called a run there, but I would have been happy with a run or even four wide/shotgun

3. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, of course,,, cause it didn't work. Everyone a freakin genius after the game is played. He throws a td and everyone is congratulating the guy. They weren't freakin winning anyway. It would have been 31-31. Totally stunned at the loserness in alot of Jet fans. Well, actually not.

4. glenn212

glenn212 New Member

you freakin go for it, thats the correct call..but they'll be alot of second guess BS by the media,,Mangini is the man and these guys are bustin their hump for him..i;m proud to be a Jets fan

5. #28Martin

What are you 3 years old?

** 30 day suspension **

#25 #28Martin, Oct 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2006
  6. #28Martin

Hey, someone gets it.

7. #28Martin

It's amazing to me, guy with 971 posts gets told he might not be back.

8. InChadWeTrust

InChadWeTrust New Member

My thoughts exactly. You guys need to understand that this is not something Mangini is going to be dumb enough to do on a regular basis. The idea behind this play call was that the Colts are going to score a touchdown and we need to match them. What's that you say? Why didn't he trust the defense? Did you guys watch the last two minutes? I completely agree with the call to go for it on that down, but the playcall itself was not the right one to make for the reasons Blair listed. And like someone else said earlier this was not the call that lost the Jets this game.

9. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

2nd and goal from the 2 1/2 - run to Houston no gain.
    3rd and goal from the 2 1/2 - run to Houston no gain.
    4th and goal from the 2 1/2 - INT.

If you're going to throw in that situation, do it on 2nd or 3rd down. You don't give away 3 points to one of the best teams in football. Especially in a situation where you can go ahead.

10. XxAlbert84xX

XxAlbert84xX New Member

i think those of you who question this call are retarded. I will go on and say it, yes it didnt work out but then again he doesnt have a crystal ball sayinbg the 3 would tie the score. Who does, the Colts went down the field and scored 3. Anything could happen, i mean he didnt throw the ball into double coverage. I still back magini, you dont win games being conservative. No one knows and who knows if we ever drive back in there, we gotta go for the win, no one should question this, because any great coach with this team believes to drive it in. So don't go with fire mangini and that was stupid. If anyones to blame, blame chad for giving them great field position for the INT, relax people i still am proud and the season isnt over. Relax

11. #28Martin

It's typical Jet fan nonsense. YOU HAVE TO GO FOR IT ,,, based on the opponent. Case closed.

12. Jetrik

Jetrik Well-Known Member

Tony Dungi on the other side just said he would've done the same thing. Hey man, I'm glad to see guts like that. Yeah, we lost I know, but when is the last time you saw our Jets fight tooth and nail so much in the face of adversity?

13. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

Taking the 2nd time out was worse.

14. docdhc

docdhc New Member

I don't know if we would have won or not, but 4th and almost 3 at that point in the game, take the 3pts. Its a no brainer IMO. Mangini is entitled to a few mistakes though, the rest of the coaching job seemed excellent, they had the Colts on their heels, they made them burn their time-outs, and they almost beat them anyway. 2-2 at this point in the season is fine by me.

15. LI JET FAN

LI JET FAN New Member

Tony did you think our D would have held that 3 pt lead. As it was they went 80 yds for the score. I think by his actions today Mangini knbows his defense is :rofl:

16. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

A team like the Colts. You go for the points you can get with no trouble. And don't say we weren't winning anyway. You have no clue.

17. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I support the call 100%.

An explanation isn't needed.

18. jetsaholic10

jetsaholic10 Member

At that point in the game, it was the right call just because you're trying to outscore the Colts who do score alot of points <-- i sound like the jets color commentator. But anyway, looking in hindsight, of course it was the call to go for it which cost us the game. But look, kicking the field goal changes the whole game. If we kicked the field goal, we would've kicked it off. Who knew what would happen in the kickoff return. The plays change, everything changes from there. We just never know what would happen.

19. XxAlbert84xX

XxAlbert84xX New Member

its easy to say when we lose by 3, but its not a no brainer, every redzone opportunity the jets punched in and the colts didnt stop them, you go for it but call a better play call thats all, its not a no brainer and i think alot of people are going to be questioning this, its the colts, they are 4-0 in an easy division, we arent guaranteed to win alot so we take it as it goes, regardless the team is getting better and dont be down, was hard fought. 2-2 not bad, lets hope we can take it on the road to jacksonville

20. Baron von Jilma

Baron von Jilma New Member

I don't think it was the right call to go for it. I know the Colts have a great offense and can put up a lot of points, but when you are tied 14-14 in a game many people expected you to not even be in, you take the lead.

The argument that those 3 points would have made the tie is not really fair though since it changes the whole game after that point.