Clyde Gates-Why is he still wearing Green?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LongIslandBlitz, Aug 3, 2014.

1. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a good reason as to why Clyde Gates is still a member of the NY Jets?I can't understand why we kept him around unless we plan on using him in kickoff/punt returns situations.He is awful as it gets as a WR ,sure he has speed but what does that mean? .If Stephen Hill and Clyde Gates had a child he would be the perfect WR.He has been on the team since Sept 2012 and has contributed to nothing at all

2. Vanbiesbrouck

Vanbiesbrouck Active Member

It's a fucking mystery to me, man. With the likes of Greg Salas having a good camp, Clyde Gates has to be so far down the depth chart he'd need Stephen Hawking & a telescope to see playing time this year.

For fast guys, we have Hill, Saunders, Ford, etc. For small guys, we have Kerley, Saunders, etc. For possession/tall guys we have Decker, Nelson, Salas, and potentially guys like Evans. (J-Co type of receivers). Clyde Gates literally fills no need on this team that isn't accomplished somewhere else in a player that has better hands and/or a higher upside- even if it's just in the return game. I think he'll be an early cut.

Here are the WRs currently on the (nyjets.com) roster:

18 Campbell, Michael WR 6-2 205 24 2 Temple
    87 Decker, Eric WR 6-3 214 27 5 Minnesota
    82 Enunwa, Quincy WR 6-2 225 22 R Nebraska
    81 Evans, Shaq WR 6-0 210 23 R UCLA
    19 Ford, Jacoby WR 5-9 190 27 5 Clemson
    10 Gates, Clyde WR 6-0 197 28 4 Abilene Christian
    15 Hakim, Saalim WR 5-11 188 24 2 Palomar Coll. CA (J.C.)
    84 Hill, Stephen WR 6-4 215 23 3 Georgia Tech
    11 Kerley, Jeremy WR 5-9 188 25 4 TCU
    86 Nelson, David WR 6-5 215 27 5 Florida
    17 Salas, Greg WR 6-2 210 25 4 Hawaii
    16 Saunders, Jalen WR 5-9 164 21 R Oklahoma

That's 12 guys.

I can't see why we'd keep a Clyde Gates around, given the other options. Grain of salt and all, Cimini projected us with 7 WRs on the final roster. Leaving the guy aside, let's assume that somewhere around 7 is a reasonable number, with maybe 6 as a low and 8 as a high. But likely 7, meaning 5 of those guys are cuts/practice squad players.

If you had to pick your top 7/8, is there any way that Gates is in your top 8? Not for me. Having Decker around eliminates the need for one "tall" guy- since he's 6'3" & starting, with Nelson, Salas and Hill all 6' plus. He's fast, but I'd rather be giving the ball to Saunders or Ford at this point, or even seeing what Enunwa can bring.

I think he's gone on cut day 1.

3. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

It's training camp. Table this until he makes the 53, which is highly unlikely.

FJF and TonyMaC like this.
  4. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

He's here because he was here last year, and if he makes an unexpected and large improvement in camp we want him back. If not, he's useful as a camp body and has more experience than a random undrafted free agent, which is what we'd have to replace him with if we'd cut him before camp. Basically they feel he has more potential to make that unexpected jump than the available UDFA WRs that we didn't take. If we see it, he'll stay, otherwise he'll be cut.

Just because Gates is back doesn't mean he will make the roster again- I think that's a longshot.

We have Decker, Kerley, Nelson, and Hill who are locks, and like 6 guys competing for the last 2 - 3 spots. We will also stash 1 or 2 of the rookies wideouts on the practice squad though, hoping they can improve a lot by 2015. Haven't heard much about Gates this camp so I'd assume that he's on the wrong side of the roster bubble.

5. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Gates is on borrowed time. He seems to be a decent route runner but can't hold onto the ball. Evans has struggled, but I'd rather see him get the spot at this point. It's going to be really interesting to see how those last few spots are handled. We'll probably know by preseason end. That gates drop last year against the Pats cost us a playoff spot.

6. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Why do you need to cut him today?

Geez, relax, wait till cut down time. There's no reason to cut anyone until the time is ripe.

_

7. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

He's most likely training camp fodder at this point. I wouldnt worry to much about him, there is no harm in him being there right now. If he's there when the season starts i'd be annoyed.

8. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Clyde Gates is Edward Scissorhands.:

DanR likes this.
  9. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Both Gates and Hill had great camps last year and both played through injuries every game last year before both ending up on IR. Like Hill, Gates has had a problem of flashing in camp but never being healthy during the season. Not surprisingly both Gates and Hill have been two of the off-season stars at camp this year. But unlike Hill Gates does not have the upside of deep threat speed and size to give himself unending opportunities. Gates is competing with Ford for the KR job and a spot. Not only is his good camp giving Gates a chance at the roster but the poor play of the rookie WRs has elevated his stock. But when one looks at the numbers and Salas' good camp as Salas is an Idzik man its unlikely Gates makes the roster without an injury. But if he has a good camp he could beat out Ford for the KR job and a spot on the roster. The only real locks for the roster this year are Kerley and Decker. After those two Hill is likely number the closest to a guarantee with Saunders the next. Nelson, Gates, Salas, Ford, Evans are fighting for the last 2-3 spots which one of which will likely be a KR of Gates or Ford. I don't have a problem with Gates, like Hill I would like to see him healthy and get a chance to play and get better but unlike Hill I think that window has passed for Gates.

#9 Noam, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
    LongIslandBlitz likes this.
  10. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Gates is a camp body and it'll take a crazy preseason for him to make the team.

Turbocharged23 and kevmvp like this.
  11. NYCKNP

NYCKNP Member

Not sure why, but he'll most likely get cut and picked up by another team as practice squad receiver.

12. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Actually, as a member of the offense he wears white, not green, during practices.

Hahaha bad joke sorry. He didn't do a terrible job at returner last year but Jacoby Ford is essentially an uprgraded version of him. Everything Gates does well, Ford does better. I don't see any way Gates makes the 53 seeing as Ford himself isn't even a lock.

13. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

Maybe we can trade him to the Browns?

themorey likes this.
  14. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Gates must have done something right to be on the roster most of 2012 and make the opening day roster last year. If he somehow shows the ability to catch the ball with his speed, he can compete with Salas, Ford and the rookies for the last roster spot. But clearly his on-field performance leaves a lot to be desired.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I've been asking the same game since the rainy Patriots game. Despite the conditions he was absolutely horrible, and even though Geno's late interceptions were terrible, if Gates/Hill catch even one of those several deep drops, we probably have a chance to at least push that game to overtime.

I love Rex and understand the royalty to his players, and the fact that it's another camp body, but most successful organizations cut a player (that has never been successful) and essentially cost them a big game, the day after.

16. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

He's actually having a good camp. He also did last year if you remember. He's a good person to help manufacture competition and will have a chance to earn roster spot. It would be between Salas, Gates, and Ford. Personally, I don't think he will make it this year, although if he has some amazing games here....he will put himself in a better spot.

Say what you will...but in minicamps the first WR that stood out to vick? "Clyde Gates"

17. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

With Vick working with the #2s most of the time Gates probably would have been targeted often. He's got the speed but really can't bring it together when ti comes to game time. His drop rate is horrendous.

18. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Mark Sanchez had good camps every year to,good camps don't mean a whole lot .Gates will likely get a decent amount of snaps on Thursday will see what he looks like then

19. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

we have more depth at WR than I can remember in a long time, cut down day will be interesting.

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

No he didn't.

Sundayjack likes this.