CBS: Bring Jets Training Camp Back Home

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hwismer, Jul 29, 2014.

1. hwismer

hwismer Active Member

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/07...anity-and-bring-jets-training-camp-back-home/

Schwartz: Stop The Insanity And Bring Jets Training Camp Back Home
    Memo To Gang Green Brass: Butts In Bleachers Are A GOOD Thing!
    By Peter Schwartz

Sometimes it’s good to get away.

There’s nothing like a nice weekend on the road to recharge your batteries. What’s even better is a solid week on vacation to enjoy some fun and relaxation.

But when it comes to New York Jets training camp in Cortland, the novelty has expired. It’s time to come back to reality, and the reality is that Gang Green needs to hold camp at their practice facility or at another venue in the Tri-State area.

Don’t get me wrong. This is not meant to be negative toward Cortland. I really enjoyed the two training[​IMG] camps that I covered up there. It’s a great city with nice people, and the campus is wonderful. There’s even a whole bunch of great restaurants, including Doug’s Fish Fry.

But being away is no longer in the best interests of the franchise or its fans.

Some may say it’s important to get away so that the team can build chemistry, but there’s no evidence that proves it. It’s true that in 2009 and 2010, Rex Ryan’s first two years as head coach, the Jets started their seasons in Cortland and made it to consecutive AFC Championship games[​IMG]. But where was the chemistry the last two years, both of which ended without a trip to the playoffs?

The Giants certainly didn’t need to get away to Albany in 2011 after the lockout, as they held camp in New Jersey and won the Super Bowl. (The lockout also forced the Jets to skip Cortland that year.) Big Blue has now relocated their training camp to their practice facility.

That was a smart move, and the Jets should do the same next year.
    It would be good for the team and good for the fans — and it would be great for business[​IMG]. I haven’t been up to Cortland during camp this year, but I’m told by some people up there that, other than the first couple of days, the crowds have been very small.

That should tell the Jets something. Fans are not interested in spending hours in a car[​IMG] to go see them practice — and I would think that the team should take note of the crowds, or lack thereof. Fewer people in attendance means less in merchandise sales. A huge part of training camp is that big Jets Shop tent, and they would sell more stuff if the camp was back home.

Take a look at the NFL training camp highlights around the league on television. See all the big crowds watching teams in other cities? Don’t you think the Jets players would like to see fans in the stands instead of empty bleachers?

These days, with money tight in many families[​IMG], who has the cash to schlep up to Cortland to watch practice? When you figure in gas, tolls, lodging and food, you’re better off using that money to go to a regular-season game.

Of course, that might require finding a good deal on the secondary market, but that’s a story for another day.
    I know the Jets are going to have a couple of training camp sessions at their Florham Park practice facility at the end of camp along, and one at their old stomping grounds at Hofstra University (if that one doesn’t get canceled again). But the whole camp should be closer to their fans. When they do return to Hempstead on August 21 — again, keep your fingers crossed — the Jets can expect to see a huge crowd, probably in the five-figure range. The Jets drew 10,000 fans for their last Hofstra practice, which was back in 2010.
    Another positive factor in having camp in the area would be the possibility of a combined practice with the Giants. The two teams don’t always see eye-to-eye, but it would make for quite an event, much like it did up in Albany back in 2004 and 2005.

Now, where should the Jets hold training camp?
    Selfishly, I’d like to see them go back to Hofstra, but that’s probably not realistic. If they decide to go back to their Long Island roots, they should seriously consider Stony Brook. They have a fabulous football stadium as well as surrounding fields and other necessary facilities. Stony Brook made a run at the Jets in 2009 before the team settled on Cortland.

Maybe next year, Stony Brook should pick up the phone and try again.
    Another option is following what the Giants are doing at their practice facility. The Jets would have to bring in some more bleachers to handle the bigger crowds, but this would be far better than being hours away in Central New York.

Will the Jets re-up with Cortland? It’s possible. But in my opinion, it’s not working up there.
    It’s time for the Jets to stay home[​IMG] — or at least be a little closer to it.
    Who says you can’t go home again?

2. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

Weak article.

The veteran NFL players who've been with multiple teams say that having training camp away from the stadium builds team chemistry because it forces you to spend more time with the guys, and takes you out of your element. There's fewer distractions.

Obviously you can win a Super Bowl either way, and obviously having TC away doesn't guarantee a good season.

As for fan convenience- that's totally irrelevant. If the coaches feel like they get an advantage by doing TC away, then that's what they should do. If it boosts your chances of success even a little bit, it's worthwhile.

There are so many variables that go into winning that it's hard to pinpoint the effect of going away, but I'd put some serious weight on what veteran players and coaches say anecdotally.

On bleacher report, Matt Bowen talks about how it gives you a bit of an edge, and every player I've heard on podcasts and in print seems to say that it's better to hold camp away from home. I think this is simply the case of a lazy reporter who resents having to travel upstate every year - in which case, cry me a river.

Big Derty likes this.
  3. Capt. Ace Nick

4. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Cortland is perfect for the team. Less distractions, focus on football, your job, and the upcoming season.

Let the media hacks travel.

Axel3419 likes this.
  5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I love it. Make these overfed underachieving dildos figure out how to write an article without their editors sitting in the next room.

It weeds out the actual writers. Cimini has already tapped out. I can't even recall a Mehta article that got buzz in the past week.

You have lesser known guys tweeting observations that may not be right, but they are trying.

It's nice to see the hacks struggle, Cortland is worth that at least.

NY Jets68 and JetsVilma28 like this.
  6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I'm with Schwartz, both Hofstra and Stony Brook are "away from home" in New jersey but are still close enough to be in the fanbase area.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  7. BigGreenUgly

BigGreenUgly Well-Known Member

It was packed Sat when i attended .......and I assume at least 7K will be there for Green vs White scrimmage this Sat night

8. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I doubt Rex is much concerned about merchandise sales. That probably ranks well down the list of factors, if it's even on the list.

9. abyzmul

I'm guessing that the Jets press corps all pitched in to fund this guy's weak article, a plea to let them not be stuck in fucking Canada for a month.

I hope they never have camp outside Cortland again, just to spite our faggot ass beat writers.

JetsVilma28 and fozzi58 like this.
  10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I remember when Rex came on board just when our $50M state of the art training complex was finished. Jets brass were real proud of it. Right up till the moment Rex says "Thanks but we ain't using it". pfft "We're off to Cortland!" That decision definitely ruffled some feathers in the FO

11. abyzmul

The complex they built isn't suited to deal with training camp.

12. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Bring the training camp to Central Jersey or South Jersey. Still get away, but let different parts of your fan base watch. You think I'm going to drive over 4.5 hours to watch a practice? Get the hell out of here. Having camp that far north alienates everyone that's not in North Jersey or NY.

13. abyzmul

I don't see why it matters.

14. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Good article. Move it back to Jersey.

15. Big Blocker

Too funny. The hell with people from South Jersey. They are mostly Eagles fans.

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  16. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

Would love it if they practiced in Jersey City.

17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

By keeping practice out of Jersey they save tons of money on loss prevention from the Jets Tent

18. Big Blocker

Upstate New York has horrible winters. Just awful. But the summers are great, the scenerry is awesome, and the ride up there, on Route 17 past Goshen, especially from Liberty on, is one of the most beautiful roads in the entire Northeast US. Cortland State is a SUNY school with apparently suitable facilities, not being used right now. It makes complete sense to me why they use it.

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I like the fact that they are still old school and holding camp away far away in a secluded atmosphere, staying in college dorms, etc..I think there is something to be said for the difficulties of camp and the team building concept. You get that at Cortland instead of holding it at the facility at home. That trend is dying though, more and more teams are holding their camps back at the facilities.

I do feel for the long-islanders who get screwed with it not being at hofstra much anymore. Great loyal bunch of Jets fans on the island.

Cortland is definetely a Rex thing, he's an old school football guy. I suspect whenever Rex is gone from this team they start holding camp at Florham Park.

JetsVilma28 and matt robinson 17 like this.
  20. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I live near AC and surprisingly, it's not as many Philadelphia fans as you'd think.