And the Talk just keeps on comin...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Loser: "We plan on working hard and hopefully someday, maybe, if things work out, becoming a good defense"

Winner: "We are the best goddamn defense on the planet and will annihilate ANY offense that wanders into our lair"

2. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

I'd probably be more concerned if there wasn't any chatter from the Jets.

3. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

I have no problem with what Milliner said because if you have basic reading comprehension you would realize that he is saying he has the "mentality" that he is number 1 and that there is no one better than him. He's saying he has confidence in his abilities and is going out thinking he is the best every time steps out on the field. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. He's not saying, "I'M THE BEST IN THE LEAGUE CHECK MY STATS, BITCH"

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

That only works if they actually Win and Annihilate. If they don't, its just bullshit. You're only as good as your words. What's that old saying about letting your mouth write a check that your ass can't cash?

#204 Cman68, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. Cman68

6. Cman68

If its all the same to you Byz, I'll pass on the hype and wait for the results to come in perhaps mid season or so. This team will be what its record says it is, not what it tells the press it is..

abyzmul likes this.
  7. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Cman I am so with you,,,,I hate the talk ! When they did it Rex's first 2 years you could not argue with it, they made strides and played well,,,,,,,then the talk kept up and then Rex had his book come out and the " talk " was about no longer being the little brother " or second class citizens " and we played the giants with everything on the line and Cruz did his thing , Sanchez did his thing along with the rest of the jets and the Giants went on a mad run and all the talking we did was that much harder to swallow,,,,,,,,,you think they would have learned ! As I said short term memory ! Talk after you play or accomplish something,,,,not before !

8. Cman68

Yanno, I had forgot about that episode when Rex talked all that shit about the Giants and we wound up losing the game anyways. I guess it was the evil NY Media that made that up or somehow tricked Rex into saying those tidbits. You're right, they've learned nothing and that's worrisome.

Funny, but you don't hear Decker, Wilkerson, Ivory, Kerley, Harrison, Brick, Mangold or other cornerstones of the team talking this bullshit. They all know better and realize you have to prove it on the field and not the backpages. Even Geno recognized you can't go around claiming you're the best when clearly you're not.He had the sense to say he's working towards that goal.

You get it from Pace and Milliner. Milliner will get his chance to prove just how good he is early on. Lets hope he doesn't blame the media if he isn't as good as he thinks he is. Pace should have known better since he's a veteran. Maybe he's been out drinking with Rex one time too many.

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I talk about said gas station to people I know. Because it affects my life, and those people are in my life.

I may mention the Jets to them in a passing conversation, but I don't let it get me worked up.

And yes, this forum is different. We talk about how the team behaves. But I'm not going to let the way the team behaves affect how I view them, aside from entertainment. That is what they are there for. Entertainment.

It's background noise for your life. Don't let it be something else.

10. abyzmul

What is that hype, really, C? It's a billion dollar football team that won't decide any aspect of your life aside from momentary happiness.

NFL wants to be a big part of your life. Don't let it be bigger than it is.

11. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

This,,,,,,,, has nothing to do with the substance of your post,,,,,, but have you,,,,,,, ever read a book,,,,,,,...??

<fill,,,,,,,,er>

12. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

We have a corner back who thi nks he's Ali, nobody across from him, and a concussed safety. We are just great!

13. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

meh.

it's not like I cry myself to sleep at night because dee Milliner said he's the best cb in the nfl. sports entertainment as a fan is a different animal. It's not always fun in the moment but in the end I think most of us enjoy the ride anyway.

There are bad losses, injuries, poor decisions, etc that are part of this. The jets talking shit in june is less annoying than any of those things but for me it is annoying none the less and it's a topic of conversation at the moment.

15. ozzieny

ozzieny Member

who says you're stupid? Not me.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That's a real leader right there. That's how a leader communicates. It's pretty messed up when a 3rd year linebacker sounds more like a respectable head coach than the actual head coach. I hope the rest of them are taking notes - Rex included.

17. abyzmul

It's a topic of conversation. That is the truth. But for whom? Really. Who the hell is talking about this? Not NFLN, maybe BSPN for a minute, but mostly shabby beat writers will put this away for a rainy day. It's meaningless unless the Jets come out like a bunch of killers, or a bunch of twats.

And if they do, either way... only then does anyone care.

18. BrowningNagle

Byz I know this wasn't directed at me but I've been following what you have been arguing, it's not about football, it's about the entertainment end. Surely I don't care about the embarrassment from some of this awful proclamations etc, but I do want my football team to win, all things considered!

This shit talking doesnt do anything to help the team win at all. Now you can argue that it doesn't hurt or that it's effects are negligible, to which I disagree, I think it hurts a little. But either way it doesn't help the team AT ALL.

Look at Demario Davis' comments. Particularly the "I think we could be the best D but it doesn't just happen. You have to work to make it happen... Right now we aren't doing that" (Paraphrase)

That's the fucking message that should be sent!!! You want to be the best? Lets unite together and be the best together. It's not an individual boasting about himself, a coach boasting about himself, a coach laughing about players boasting about themselves, etc. it should be a team working their asses off together for one goal. Talking shit to the media about yourself is contradictory to that process.

Remember when McElroy was here and he came out and said the locker room was corrupt and that players didn't care if they won or lost only about their individual statistics. People killed him because he was a 3rd string rookie, but that team did have a fucked up mindset. And when you have a coach who brags about himself and laughs off when players brag about themselves, it's no wonder they are thinking about themselves / their statistics, etc. on gameday.

They don't have to be robots like New England to win. rex can still be his funny self. but they do need to have focus. Talking shit to the media like this shows a lack of focus.

19. abyzmul

BN, your posts are always enjoyable, so I read this one with a light heart.

McElroy shat from his mouth during a season when this team was in shambles, and he was on the scrap heap. And he's a douche. I'm throwing that part out.

Does talking shit help the team? I don't know, I don't think so, but this team is confident as hell. Is it justified? Who the fuck knows? Why does it matter?

How the hell can a team unite when it is competing at so many positions? Can you really demand that of them at this point?

Why is this thread here right now? Because people want to get hackles up? There's no other reason. Preseason football hasn't even begun.

Troll thread.

20. BrowningNagle

I enjoy your posts too, I just disagree here.

When I think about Dee Milliner saying he's the best corner in the league it pisses me off not because it is a stupid comment, he's obviously not even close, it pisses me off that he even is thinking about that. He should be worrying about getting better, not thinking he's the best!

Confidence alone is stupid and doesn't get you anywhere. The best professionals keep their confidence in check. It's how you get better. Humility is a driving force. Ask Peyton Manning who he thinks is the best QB in the NFL. He's not going to blather on about himself. But he's the best QB in part because he has a legendary work ethic and doesn't stop to say he's the best.

I understand Milliner was answering a question but so was Demario Davis. Now you tell me what player has the better mindset going into the season. It's a no brainer that its Davis