Which is the best sport to watch IN PERSON?

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by HackettSuxTNG, May 12, 2014.

?

Which is the best sport to watch IN PERSON?

1. NBA Basketball

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. NFL Football

13 vote(s)
    27.7%
  3. NHL Hockey

30 vote(s)
    63.8%
  4. Major League Baseball

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

You sound like a casual fan. Not a serious fan who likes watching isolated match-ups and tree progressions.

Your kind is not welcome amongst real football enthusiast/analyst-type fans.

_

joe likes this.
  2. JStokes

x a billion. The Giants/Jets screwed the upper-deckers at the expense of the lux boxes.

I wouldn't sit up there if the seats were free. Maybe the prime upper decks but that's it.

_

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I got on the waiting list in the early 90s, by the mid 90s the jets called me up and offered me a single seat while I waited for my 4 seats. that seat was the last row in the UD around the 25 yd line. It was a GREAT seat, last row in this stadium and you can't see who is playing. I heard somewhere that the distance from the field of the first few rows at the new Stadium is equivalent to the distance in the last rows at the old place. anything beyond the first few rows in the UPD is awful. I gave up my tickets a few years ago but I still go to every game and I have only sat in the UD twice but I don't like it.

4. JStokes

Yeah I had heard that as well. It was like adding something akin to a 25 row difference.

My seats in the old stadium were upper deck smack dab in the middle of the endzone--about 10 rows up. Great perspective of the play development.

We had family in and I bought some upper deck primes last year for a passel of them and they weren't too bad.

_

5. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Boxing is the best sport to watch in person. Football not to far behind 2nd.

6. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Your quote:

"IMHO football is so much more enjoyable on TV. The least enjoyable experience live."

I didn't say you didn't enjoy going to the games, I just don't understand why'd you'd keep renewing season tickets when it is "much more enjoyable on TV" and "the least enjoyable experience live". It sounds like you'd be better off going to a few games a year rather than all of them.

7. JStokes

I love going, I take my kids, I take my GF to the preseason games, I want to pass my PSLs down to my kids, I'm a die hard Jet fan from 1969. I'll go regardless of how inconvenient it is. 10 games versus 81 games or 40 games.

A varied pilgrimage as it were.

Football on TV is a better overall experience. JMHO.

_

8. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

I've found that the idea of going to football games is more appealing than actually going. Having had season tickets in the past, there was nothing better than prepping the day before for a tailgate. Unfortunately as I got older I realized the best part of the gameday experience was the tailgate.....and everything went downhill from the minute you walk into the stadium. Between over priced food and drink, people constantly getting up and down, constant regular stoppages of play, contant tv timeouts it just wasn't worth it anymore. (not to mention fan fights, overly drunk idiots....of which i guess I used to be one).

Every season now I feel the tug of wanting to stub hub one game at least.....during the Sept-Oct period, but I've resisted and don;t feel I'm missing much.

9. nyjunc

I hate tailgating, for me that is the worst part and I don't go to games to buy food and drinks. I go to watch football, I hate the long TV TOs too but it's still great watching games. the older I get the less I like going unless it is w/ my kids(who go to 1 game a year or so) but I still enjoy. I will enjoy more when they start playing big games again.

I LOVE going to road games.

10. JStokes

I am a better BBQ cook, a better chef, have better beer and liquor, have a massive HDTV, have heat in the winter and AC in the late summer/early fall, have roof coverage during rain and snow, have a game on either before or after the Jets, the traffic and drive to my family room in 22 seconds, I don't invite illiterates, I don't invite a-holes (other than me).

Yet I'll never give up this:
    [​IMG]
    _

nyjunc likes this.
  11. nyjunc

My wife was mad at me for driving through the snowstorm to get to that game. I had a long streak of consecutive games attended and I never saw a snow game so I wasn't missing it.

That snow was wet and heavy, I was soaked when I left the Stadium.

12. JStokes

We'd sit for 15 minutes and get up and literally have 20 pounds of wet snow on us.

Like she said, we'll never forget that game.

_

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

There's a lot of things great about being in-person for NFL games, mostly experience based though - the game is completely tailored for television. Even more so in recent years with HD, camera angles and new rules even.

Think of when there's a challenge and you are at the game - they have the jumbotron and show it, but you really still have a hard time making sense of it/knowing what the call should be. I remember being at the game in Cleveland a few years back when we lost in the last minute on a challenged pass incomplete in the end zone from Pennington to Baker I believe. I had end zone seats and I enjoy seeing plays develop too - but in this instance it sucked because the play occurred in the opposite end zone corner and I couldn't tell anything- Cleveland's shitty jumbotron and/or video operator made it hard to tell anything about the call... totally ruined it. - - If I'd have been home on my couch I would've gotten 37 clear HD angles, analysts describing what the rule is, etc. (and I wouldn't have had to deal with a stadium full of ohio's finest deuchebags!!!! ) - - In that instance being at the game was a lot worse than watching it on tv at home.

Because of the big improvement in the television experience and not-so-fan-friendly in-game experience, the NFL is seeing attendance numbers hurt overall. IMO they need to do something to improve the in-game experience to keep up with the television experience. I'm not exactly sure what that is though, but something should be done to improve the in-game experience more, or at least make it more of an incentive to attend the game.

14. JStokes

I pretty much always call my brother at home and ask him "was it a fumble"?

_

15. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

do you let your kids have food and drink? or are they charting plays ; )

16. nyjunc

haha, they will always want food whether it's a hot dog or ice cream or something but other than that I avoid all concession stands.

17. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

not that I want to argue, becaue to each his own, but how can you "hate" tailgating? If that were not allowed I'm willing to bet football stadiums would be half empty.

18. nyjunc

I like throwing the ball around but I don't like eating burgers, dogs, chicken, steak, whatever at 9-10-11 in the morning. I don't drink which is what most people like about tailgating so I am surrounded by drunks waiting to watch a game. If I could drive up to the Stadium at 12:50 and get in I would but I have to get there early

when I have my kids w/ me we go in early and they have some kids stuff around the Stadium which is fun but grilling at the car and watching people get drunk isn't fun for me.

19. FirstTimeCaller

FirstTimeCaller Active Member

So I just got back from 3 weeks in Brazil watching the US team and others in the World Cup, it was an amazing experience. Being on the touchline when Brooks scored the game winner against Ghana, singing the US National Anthem with about 20K other Americans on foreign soil… playing soccer on the beaches of Copacabana with people from all over the world were all really incredible experiences for me. I can imagine how Super Bowl week could bring about as much excitment if the Jets were playing in it and I was lucky enough to have a ticket. So for me, given the choices in the poll I would vote for NFL, if given another option I would probably say World Cup Final in person would be the top one for me.

One thing that I find very encouraging about this thread is that some things have remained constant over the years… good informed debate continues on TGG, love of sport and sporting experience is still a focus on this forum, and NYJUNC is still here jerking off about soccer and soccer fans. Five years ago the expert(s) were here telling us how soccer was doomed in the US, no Americans cared about it, and it's only supported by immigrants. Great to see those of us who challenged that have once again been proven correct by the support displayed for both international and domestic US soccer in 2014.

Enjoy the WC final all… if Brazil play in it at Maracana with the opportunity avenge their 1950 loss at the very same stadium, there will be very few events in the history of sport that will be able to compete with that atmosphere.

Brook! likes this.
  20. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

None of the above. The correct answer is women's curling. Some of those ladies really know how to work a broom.