HBO's The Leftovers

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Uniform Bomber, Jul 2, 2014.

1. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Not exactly sure where to begin the discussion.

How about, to start: did you see it? Apparently, only 1.8 million people in America watched. Based on reactions I've read, it seems that some people hated it. Some liked it. Some said it has a David Lynch feel to it (I liked Mulholland Drive a lot). Some people compare it to Lost (which I never saw) and Left Behind (which I never saw). Some people compare it to The Walking Dead. Some say it's quite original.

Personally, I try not to make quick judgments of shows after the premier episode. Having said that, I liked the first episode. The dialogue and acting were both pretty solid. I like Justin Theroux, too. It's interesting to see him play that hilarious villain in Wanderlust, then play this role in The Leftovers.

I'm a big fan of the old Rod Serling Twilight Zone series, and The Leftovers feels like a more intense version of some of those old TZ episodes.

Anyway, I'm wondering who else watched it/will continue watching it; what's your overall feeling of it?

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Haven't seen it, but that's the show with the missing people that return, right? At least that's what I think the promos for it showed.

3. The Uniform Bomber

Oh, I forgot to mention the music. If the first episode is any indication, then the music for this show will probably be really good.

If you saw the first episode, this is the song that was playing during the scene at the remembrance day (*I don't want to reveal too much in fear of spoiling*). It's called "Sweet Love for Planet Earth" by the Fuck Buttons. Just figured I'd mention it because the musical aspect is worth mentioning, and people have been asking about it.

(approx the 4:15 mark is the part that's used during the show in that scene)
    [YOUTUBE]

4. The Uniform Bomber

Duuude, no one has returned yet. Haha thanks. Just kidding; if the promos revealed that (I never saw any), then I can't say you spoiled anything.

5. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Just saw it last night...Not sure how I feel about it, I dont get it yet. Whats the story here?

Hope we find out more about the missing

6. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I think you are talking about some show on ABC called Resurrection. No signs of people coming back shown

7. abyzmul

Yeah, I think you're right. Red from That 70s Show, right?

8. abyzmul

I love shows with dynamic soundtracks. The Americans started out strong that way (with period music), kind of slacked off on the music but finished this last season well in that respect.

The Uniform Bomber likes this.
  9. The Uniform Bomber

Actually, this is what I like about it, right now. Nothing is really spoonfed to the audience. So it's kind of a mystery, kind of interpretive, which makes it challenging. It won't surprise me if this show doesn't catch on for that very reason.

As of now, this is what I gather the story is: A suburban town reacts to the mass disappearance of people. In 3 years time, there's still no explanation for the disappearances, and as humans, that uncertainty and lack of closure affects people in such a way (psychologically), that it drives them to the point of doing the things we've seen them do on the show. In that aspect, it is similar to The Walking Dead. Essentially, individuals and society are reacting to a major break in reality.

10. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Saw the first episode and I'm intrigued. I'll give it another few episodes and see where it goes from there.

The whole "rapture" thing is just a small part of the equation. The chain smokers in white? Wayne? The Liv Tyler storyline? The cop? What was he doing during the "event"? Laurie? The feral dogs? The dream stag?

Very layered.

_

11. The Uniform Bomber

Yeah, man, music is a pretty significant criteria for me. When it comes to shows/movies, poor music isn't a deal-breaker; but when I'm ranking my hierarchy of shows, the soundtrack/score/music element becomes a big factor.

When AMC had that remake of The Prisoner, one of the things that kept me going back to it (despite not fully grasping the content) was the soundtrack.

The first episode of the Leftovers used music very effectively. One thing they did a very nice job with, was layering the music under dialogue and over scenes, and the music selection for those moments really worked.

12. JStokes

Ordinarily I'd agree but one of my top 5 movies of all time as absolutely no sound track, no music at all. And it's used (well, not used) for eerily good effect.

Love them Cohen Brothers.

No Country For Old Men.

_

13. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

God, I love that movie!

That's a movie I can watch over and over again, and never get tired of it!

14. The Uniform Bomber

No doubt.

NCFOM is one of my faves. In fact, that movie is on my course syllabus. It's great for a particular topic that I need to cover during the semester, especially when trying to engage a bunch of college freshmen.

So, yeah, music doesn't HAVE to be a key in whatever I'm watching, but it really does enhance the emotion effectiveness of some of the scenes, in this case, The Leftovers.

15. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I saw a trailer for it and was pretty intrigued but haven't checked it out yet. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see how people's thoughts and feelings of it evolve and if it's generally positive I might check it out.

16. JStokes

So I read the short novel and loved it, and was intrigued how it would be adapted to the screen and it was one of those movies that was as good as the source material.

I didn't realize it had no music until I read it in an article after I had seen the film at least half a dozen times. Was dumbfounded.

_

17. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

Bc of the Lost aspect I'm very suspect of this show and won't last past 2 more flashback episodes

18. JStokes

What about if those flashbacks include a naked Jill?

_

19. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

I was intrigued enough by the first episode to give it another crack next week. Very dark, but unique. Has almost a Children of Men feeling to it.

20. The Uniform Bomber

While watching, I got this feeling that it's not quite SciFi or Fantasy, but it still maintains an 'otherworldly' aspect, or maybe that's a way that humans have to try to rationalize it, ironically enough.

This show might very well result in no answers (i.e. not the answers we want), but I think that that's okay if it does end up presenting an experience/concept/etc that goes beyond the meaning of the event itself.

Using The Walking Dead again as a comparative example: At this point in the show (TWD), I'm not overly concerned if we find out the cause of the zombie apocalypse. Sure, I'd like to know if there's a legit explanation, but now, TWD is so much more than the "why?" that I don't necessarily need to know the cause, in order to be satisfied.

If The Leftovers takes that route (in its own way), then I don't think I'll be too disappointed, although it's still way too early to say anything definitively.