2014 Jets Defense could be by far the most talented Rex has had here

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenBlues, Jun 28, 2014.

1. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

The two years where our defense really shined under Rex, 2009 and 2010, I don't think we really had that much talent overall on the defense, although we did have solid players at most positions.

In the secondary, we had the great Revis, but that's it. The other cornerback was first Lito Sheppard, and then Cromartie. Now, Cromartie in his prime was a good player, but let's be honest here, he was always a bit overrated. He never did anything in the running game, and smaller quicker receivers who changed direction always abused him. The safeties were Jim Leonhard/Eric Smith/Kerry Rhodes/Ihedigbo, solid role players, but not one of them was a star. So we had one great player in the secondary, another pretty good one, and the rest just solid contributors.

In the linebacking corps, we had the always productive but hardly great David Harris, another solid LB in Bart Scott who came to us on the downside of his career, an aging Bryan Thomas, and Calvin Pace, another guy who was up there in age. All solid, productive players, but again, no real stars.

Finally, on the defensive line, we had Kris Jenkins, who battled injuries throughout both 2009 and 2010, and ended up missing most of those two years, and then retired. We had Shaun Ellis, a solid DE who really stepped up in the playoffs, but overall, wasn't exactly a star. And then role players like Sione Pouha and Mike DeVito.

So basically, we had just one really outstanding player on the entire defense (Revis), and then maybe a couple of above average ones (Cromartie and Ellis), with everyone else being an intelligent and productive role player. And those defenses ended up being ranked among the best in the league. I think the lack of true talent though was exactly what caught up to them in the end, when they just couldnt stop Peyton and Pittsburgh in those championship games.

But this is what makes me excited now, because this upcoming year, Rex could have more toys in his box than he has ever had with our team. Some of it is just projection at this point, of course, but we've got 3 studs up front, Coples has impressed me with how he played later on last season, and between how Milliner finished the year and the expectations for Pryor/McDougle, I am really curious about and excited for our defense.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Great OP!!!

I think the key here is Rex doing the opposite of what he did using Revis as a crutch for a poor defensive front. Rex overloaded the blitzes to compensate for a lack of elite talent in the defensive line and LBs.

Now, he has a great source of talent at DL and a pretty experienced LB corps, even if there isn't anything resembling elite talent at the second level. Solid safeties, unproven players at CB.

He's got to get the most out of rushing the fewest men possible on any given down, and overload protection beyond 5 yards. This may even mean a ton of zone coverage, something he doesn't like, but has won key games (ie Pats playoff win) by resorting to it.

I'm extremely excited about the defense this year.

JETS1116, Spike_D, Jets Esq. and 2 others like this.
  3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Hopefully, the offense can keep them off the field long enough that they can rest up and pressure for the entire 60mins. Didn't happen much last year...

JetLifeLo likes this.
  4. NYCKNP

NYCKNP Member

My thoughts exactly. An effective offense will have the defense well-rested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I expect the offense to be vastly improved.

6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

They better be.. The defense needs a break when they get off the field. Those quick turnarounds aka: 3 & outs and/or turnovers take their toll over time.

#6 Cman68, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  7. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Talent wise its far and away the best defense we've had since Rex got here. (and rivals the 2010 team for the best offense too.)

But sticking with the D , there's so much potential here. Even the CB's which is a big question mark , shouldn't be anymore of a liability then our safeties were outside of the year we had Landry and Bell. And is it a shock to anyone that Cro had his best season with us in that year? Shows how far having 2 above average safeties back there helps a CB so I have no doubt if Pryor lives up to expectations and Allen continues to develop the CB's wont struggle as much as some out there think.

8. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Well, last year the run defense was great, but the pass rush was average and the secondary was weak.

Virtually the entire front 7 other than Pace could get better as they move into their primes. Coples being healthy from the jump is great, too, since he's the one guy who has the talent, pedigree, and defensive role to take our defense to another level.

The secondary should be improved. Last year, both cornerbacks were bad, virtually all year. Milliner showed at the end of last season that he'll be an upgrade over what he was most of the year. Cromartie was poor, so hopefully someone else can improve that level of play. Then add Calvin Pryor to the secondary to hopefully force some more turnovers and add a fear factor that wasn't there previously? Can't wait.

With an improved offense that hopefully improves from horrendous to mediocre, there's good reason to be excited about this defense and this season.

101GangGreen101 and Cakes like this.
  9. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

One thing that's contained within the ideas of youth and talent, I feel like we have speed all over the defense too. In the past, it felt like anyone fast could burn through our LB and secondary and then be gone right away and win a foot race, but maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like we have players that explode to and through the ball carrier and that can use their speed and fresher legs to cover up a mistake here or there.

A defense that truly will fly to the ball and create havoc. So overall, I think we are quick for the positions all over the defense. I'm excited about that. I remember Scott, Smith, Thomas, and whoever, and while they were solid in our defense, you got them in the open field and they were going to struggle to slow you down near the end of their careers.

10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I agree and that's the exciting part of having a young team on the up tick. You just know they'll be better the next year even if nothing else changes. Same with a young QB like Geno.

This is in contrast to a really good team built on Vets. With a Vet based team you know the window is starting to close so it's now or never. You dread seeing your 'starts' start losing a step or two.

But with a young talented team you can't wait to see how much better they are the next year.

11. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I hope our defense is more opportunistic this season. As great as our defense has been under Rex - I feel we have been missing the ability to turn a game around with a big interception. Hopefully Pryor is the center fielder I think he is. That is WAY more important than him putting a lick on someone.

12. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

Every team Rex has had...has been his best team!

TNJet and Jets69 like this.
  13. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Before I read this thread, (which I'm excited for) I just have to say that although the thread title makes a good point, we have too young of a secondary for that to be true, but I'm very confident this D will get there very, very fast. I say the defense is one year away from truly special. I already think we'll have an elite, top 5 defense, but with how young the unit is in the area where you can't afford to get burned (secondary), there will be growing pains similar to last year, just not as bad. The team will slowly get better throughout the season. (Especially in the 2nd half of the season, as the opposing passers get easier to contain)

#13 NYJalltheway, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  14. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

I definitely agree that 2015 will be a huge year for the Jets (also said that before the 2013 season), but if the younger players (especially the rookies and Coples) make big strides, we can definitely be a playoff team and make some noise in 2014. I hope that the defense will be top-5; I think that if Milliner and whoever the #2 CB ends up being- if they can play well, and if Pryor is a playmaker, the defense can be excellent this year.

15. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

QFT. The depth of the defensive talent, particularly on the DL and secondary, suggests that the CS and FO know that they've got to field better rested players. Due to the depth, it could be that we'll see more packages and subs than we typically do. Either way, totally agree with the rest component. Under reasonable TOP scenarios, the talent is there for this D to be better than years past.

16. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Probably the most excited I have been for a season... The potential of this team is off the charts..

17. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

If Pryor is the real deal, and Milliner plays the whole season like he did during the last four games of last year, we will have a top 5 D, and as others have said - something very special in 2015.

Everything hinges on the Offense. EVERYTHING.

18. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Not to sound like negative nancy, but what's the book on Pryor's technique? Can he tackle conventionally well? I'm more than a little concerned that his rep is for destroying guys, which is both going to be at lot harder playing against pros, and with all the scrutiny surrounding defenseless receivers and concussions. Will he be able to do what he does best?

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That is one of the sixty four something something questions. The other is whether he has coverage instincts.

I'm not buying into scouting reports, since most of them are written by dorks that never strapped a helmet on and watched cutups they struggled to understand.

I'm interested to see tackling technique and direction choices by Pryor during the preseason.

20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I am more than certain that... Rex and Idzik watched the clips till blood dripped from their collective foreheads. If anything, it's defensive pick in Ryan regime that I doubt. Even Kyle Wilson is serviceable. After that, every other pick has been pretty solid - as in, you haven't seen stupid pick a la Anthony Schlegel. If they thought Pryor was worth 1st round status, he probably is good enough for that.