When Vick beats out geno dont be surprised.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by champmv7, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I find it amusing after having lived through the four years of Mark Sanchez with the arguments back and forth between his defenders and others as to who was at fault for the shortcomings on O, the end result on the team of his being retained for those four years, the finger pointing at others including Schotty, the OL, the receivers, Tebow as a distraction in 12, and other things, to have people say here that they expect it will be a clear up or down picture of whether Smith is going to succeed or not.

Sure at the margins, pro or con, it can be relatively clear. But then there's the on the Jets anyway often vast gray area in the middle, even if some say it should not be so gray.

So there's that.

I also think if Vick plays better in camp and does not start, even if Smith is "decent enough", and that does anything, anything at all, to harm the Jets' playoff chances, don't be surprised if there is a certain amount of controversy coming out of that. As there should be.

Ben Had likes this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i find it hilarious that people hold onto past results as proof as what will come when most of the past characters are no longer in play in the present scenario.

3. MoWilkShakes

MoWilkShakes Active Member

I'll feel whatever damn emotion i please when i please.

FJF likes this.
  4. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Geno works too hard to get beat out by Vick who I think is just padding his bank account at this point

5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Geno will win this job. I don't think it's because he has the support of the front office. I think it's just because he is outplaying Vick.

We can all only go by what we are hearing, but so far, he is apparently doing great.

6. Big Blocker

Those who do not learn from history are bound to repeat it.

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Its "doomed" not "bound"
    Past performances does not guaranty future results.
    btw marty said geno will see 70% of the reps in t.c.
    guess he is pretty high on geno

8. Big Blocker

yes, doomed is better.

I think Marty is great, but imo this is likely Idzik's doing. I know I don't have any proof of that, but how is that a real competition if they know before they get to camp that one guy gets so much of the attention?

Vick is probably just going to collect his pay and wait to see if Smith flops or gets hurt. I don't like it.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

So the situation we have with the Jets is that they're probably going all-in on getting Geno up and firing this season. They have also imported a guy who absolutely can handle the job if Geno falters.

Why do you spend so much time grumping about the Geno-Vick situation and so little appreciating the GM who basically guaranteed that if Geno failed we had an answer in-house that gave us real hope for the season?

John Idzik is a fairly economical GM. He doesn't hand out big contracts all that often and yet he has given us a QB at a significant cost that takes much of the risk out of Geno Smith.

How can that not be a good thing?

AarontheJet, The 1985er and FJF like this.
  10. Big Blocker

First of all unless certain holes are filled, I do not think this will be a playoff team. But they could have been filled, and with certain breaks things like #2Cb and who the OG's are, who will step up (if anyone) opposite Decker at wideout, the Jets still might be a playoff team.

And since I feel that Vick is the better prospect to lead the Jets to the playoffs, to the extent there is ANY performance lacking in Smith compared to Vick, then I do not like that since it by definition would undercut the Jets in their attempt to get into the playoffs.

Now of course one answer to that is we don't know that Vick is the best candidate at Qb to lead the Jets. Which is why I was fine with having a real competition between them. Let the best player win, and I even went so far as agreeing that a tie should go to Smith.

Instead, and let's be clear about this, all indications are there will not in fact be a real competition. That being the case, the Jets in effect are ranking the effort to pursue Smith's development over taking their best shot at a playoff run.

Some here will argue that that is the right approach, because they don't think the Jets are in anything more than a rebuilding year, and ironically they may be right if the aforementioned holes are not filled. But again I think those holes could have been filled. And to some extent might still be resolved favorably.

It all just smells like Smith was Idzik's pick and despite the poor rookie year he's going to get max support from the team in part to justify that pick, when the net effect is Vick goes into camp with no real opportunity to compete for the job, and instead it is being handed to Smith, for him to lose (and how badly must he lose it to really lose it?).

Those who either do not like Vick or have what I consider an overly optimistic view of Smith's prospects going forward will not be bothered by this. Since neither of those apply to me, I am bothered by it, and i say that despite acknowledging the "best" result would be if Smith turned out to be even an average NFL Qb with the proper grooming. I just doubt he can do that.

Maybe Marty and the rest of the CS can really help Smith. Who knows? I guess I am left with hoping that happens, which is not much to go on. But since there is no real Qb competition this off season, I feel significantly less optimistic about 14 than i did when the Jets signed Vick.

11. wGENOvFANu

wGENOvFANu Active Member

So you are bothered by it not being a true open competition, even though Vick has not outperformed Geno in practices yet? Until Vick can outperform Geno in practice, I wouldn't worry about Geno getting more 1st team reps or being the planned starter. The coaches will play the best guy and so far it looks like that is Geno.

12. Big Blocker

The comments about the large proportion of snaps Smith would get preceded practice. The open preference for Smith had nothing to do with Vick's performance.

In any event I don't know how reliable any such statements about Vick can be. This btw is precisely my point in being skeptical about the view that there will be some clear case of Smith being "up to the job" compared to Vick.

In any event, how can someone outperform someone else when that someone else gets the vast majority of the team's support and attention? It certainly becomes harder.

In short this is not going to be an open competition.

13. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

In any event, in short, what the hell are you taking about? Geno is getting the "support" because he has the potential to be our franchise qb, Vick is a scapegoat in an event that Smith does not perform well in camp and preseason (his contract reflects this).

Why does Vick need a ton of snaps when he is seasoned under MM's offense and has been in the league for 10+ years? It has been noted that the whole team supports him too. Most of the players say they looked up to him in their younger years as well as today.

The 1985er likes this.
  14. Big Blocker

Sometimes I have less patience for homers than other times.

Smith sucked last year. WHen he shows he has a realistic chance of being a franchise Qb, I guess I will hear about it, if it ever happens. Meanwhile...

15. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

Does that include Vick homers like yourself?

16. wGENOvFANu

wGENOvFANu Active Member

LOL...I think you're out of your element Walter.

The comments about Smith getting the majority of 1st team snaps didn't get made until after practice yesterday. The first reporter to tweet them was at 4:00 pm.

The people in charge definitely want Smith to be the starter and if Vick really is better, then he needs to show that to change their minds. He hasn't done that yet.

If it was an open competition Vick would still be losing right now.

So again, those complaining about it not being an open competition should stop until Vick shows why it should be an open competition.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If the Jets didn't like what they were seeing out of Geno coming out of the OTA's and the mini-camp there's no way they leak that he will get the majority of the snaps. Step two in the Geno Rehab process is over and the Jets obviously think he's getting over the hump this season.

18. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

Thank you, this is spot on. If Vick looks better than Geno at TC you can bet that Vick wins the competition, if he looks worse or about as equal tie is going to go to Geno.

19. inri2000

inri2000 New Member

Do you mean the competition that doesn't really exist?

20. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

What's your opinion on the future or Geno? Do you think he could be the guy?

What's your idea so far