Interesting Words From Our Old Friend : Mike Pettine

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BrowningNagle, Jun 19, 2014.

1. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I'm as big of a supporter of Rex as there are (yes, I'm a Rex homer, and proud of it), but giving play book away is bullshit. Maybe there are some customs between college and pro coaches that make it more palatable, but as it stands now Rex is in the wrong big time IMO.

Brook!, JetsNation06 and abyzmul like this.
  2. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I hope this isn't true.

3. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

Wow- I didn't know Pettine was a high school coach before Rex hired him! That was a bad idea, although Pettine did prove himself in Baltimore.

It's bizarre for a high school coach to go straight to the NFL, and he should be worshipful of Rex Ryan for giving him the chance to do that. If it weren't for Rex, he'd still be a high school football coach. Because of Rex, he got to earn millions of dollars and become the Head Coach of an NFL team.

I have no idea why he'd be trying to stir up drama with the Rex- that is profoundly disloyal and shocking. He was rumored to have been the leak to Mehta in 2012 (whose reports basically created the "circus" label and perception), and I see no reason not to believe those rumors now. I don't know why he's so hostile to Rex after everything he's done for him, it just doesn't make sense.

dawinner127 likes this.
  4. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Well according to the dates of when the playbook was supposedly being passed around, Rex was not calling the plays at that time. Rex started callling the plays again this year so maybe thats why Brady was stinkin it up against us this year lol.

Fuck New England and everybody that love em.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

To be fair, Pettine came from one of the most storied HS programs in the country when he was hired under Rex in Baltimore, but it is pretty much unheard of for a HS coach to be hired into the NFL ranks ever, you got that right.

As far as the rat part, there are mostly unsubstantiated rumors that he was a leak with the Jets, but it has been proven that he was known to play basketball with "unnamed sources" Mehta when he was a coach of the Jets, and he also talked some shit when he was with Buffalo.

This is just the latest in a string of character revealing issues with that guy.

Not that I'm availing Rex from giving his playbook to that ASSHOLE Saban.

Rex needed to learn a thing about keeping your cards close, and for my taste, he has taken far too long to do it.

Brook! and jonnyd like this.
  6. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I'm late to this thread but here is all my thoughts:

1) It wouldn't be the first time the Pats have (been to rumored to have) had someone elses plays.

2) Do you think Mehta called up Pettine and said "Hey man the Jets have been boring, you got any good stories?"

3) Rex was way too trusting if he gave a playbook to Saban, expect the worst. At the same time is that considered unethical in coaching circles?

4) Is this common in coaching circles?

5) It would be awesome if the time period for this was pre 2010-2011 season starting. Or pre 2013-2014 season. Basically pre season in a year we beat them

7. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Fuck Pettine. He's still bitter that Rex stripped him of his play calling duties when he was piss poor. It's clear he was the media leak for 2011 & 2012 anonymous sources. Now he's just stirring the pot, yet again. The whole concept is ludicrous. Pettine's a liar and a fraud.

Besides, Westhoff talked about this on the radio and said that even if it's true, it's not a big deal. The playbook is huge, it doesn't affect game planning and choosing which plays to use and when. It isn't like nobody's ever seen the system in play.

#87 Barcs, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Giving old playbooks away has been blown out of proportion. I mean that.

Seriously, what if I told you I have 2003/2004 Patriots offense playbook? (I had them since 2006 or so.) I DO recognize a few things from the past playbook here and there - but so what? NFL as we know it have been mostly homogenized to a certain degree, whether you like it or not. It's all about executing better and getting the refs blow the call for you.

P.S. I have a couple more playbooks from Belicheat. Yeah. I am a fucking spy too. Right?

P.S. 2: Herm's defense playbook is as vanilla as it can possibly get. I can ship his 2005 playbook to anyone who wants. You won't like it; I guarantee it.

#88 Zach, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  9. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

I really don't think it is a big deal. Rex's playbook basically stays the same every year. It is the gameplan that changes on a weekly basis.

If a patriots insider managed to snoop around the facility and get ahold of the gameplan for the week we play them, then that would be a big deal.

10. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

This. End of thead. Everybody recognizes everybody's shit out there pre-snap, some disguise it better than others. RR is an arrogant motherfucker for handing it out to people but it's not like D Revis cant break down that D for Belidick, if he already doesn't know it inside out, which he probably does.

We got some talent this year, expect trash talking RR back if were over .500 for an extended period of time. Lmao. Some hate it, some love it. Whatever.

11. Just a few theories as to the falling out between Pettine & Rex

1. The very nature of how the 2012 season ended-while the Jets D was still a decent unit..it definitely fell below Rex Ryan standards. In the heat of battle when things were going wrong who knows what type of things were said.

2. Rex could not have been happy about Pettine leaking all sorts of dribble to Manish Mehta of all people..It put the whole organization in a very bad light.I'm sure it didn't make Rex look good to Woody that "his" guy was the one stirring up all the "circus" persona

3. You get the sense that Rex was not pleased w/ the direction Pettine went w/ his career...or to put it more bluntly which organizations he's gone to. He made some interesting comments via press conference when Pettine was hired as Buffalo's DC. Now perhaps that was just sour grapes about him going to a division rival..but that wasn't really the sense I got in Rex's tone.Obviously he wants people from his "tree" to succeed.Similar comments were made when he got the Cleveland gig.

This is all purely speculation & it could be something entirely different..but Rex is a very loyal guy & was very complimentary to other coaches who have left for other positions including Bob Sutton.

Speaking of Sutton. Rex said in a PC back in 2009 that Sutton(the prior regime's DC) told him that their was really nothing extraordinary about his defensive playbook or scheme but rather Rex's intricate play calls & ability to coach technique. That's just one guy's opinion via hearsay but take that FWIW as it applies to this whole playbook ordeal.

12. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I agree.

These teams have a new playbook every week anyway. Pettine currently has 16 Bills playbooks from 2013 in his office.

Ryan undoubtedly gave Saban an obsolete playbook. It would still have value to a coach, but I seriously doubt it contained any info that could be used to hurt the Jets. Saban probably only got formations and plays- stuff Belichick can view off of film. Even if calls and cadence info was included, that stuff would have been changed week-to-week anyway.

#92 Cakes, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  13. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Pettine was probably trying to make up for the fact that when he was given more playcalling duties at the start of the 2011 season the Jets started losing to the patriots all of the time. The June of 2012 date of the wedding implies the Pats had a competitive advantage in 2011.

At the end of the 2010 season, the Jets were 3-2 vs the Pats since Rex's arrival. In 2011 and 2012, the Pats swept the Jets. After Pettite left we were back to splitting with the Pats.

#93 Organized Chaos, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  14. twown

twown Well-Known Member

• The Brady Bunch "Quarterback Sneak," 1973

While Marcia is hanging posters advertising Westdale High's upcoming "massacre" of Fairview High at this weekend's league championship football game, she is approached by Jerry Rogers, the quarterback of Fairview's team. To Jerry, asking Marcia out on a date is more important than school loyalty, or so he tells her. What she doesn't know is that Jerry is trying to gain access to any secret that Greg, Westdale's halfback, may have lying around to assist in Fairview beating Westdale, most specifically the Westdale playbook. Bobby does see Jerry trying to steal Greg's playbook, which Marcia does not believe or want to believe. To test what Bobby claimed to have seen, Greg, with Marcia's knowledge, leaves a fake playbook lying around to see what becomes of it...

- summary by Huggo
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0531122/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl

15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Here's a story, of a married lady
    Who screwed Mayor Lindsey then she saw red flags
    Little creatures walked across the woman's body,
    the Mayor gave her crabs

Here's the story, of a man named Lindsey
    Who had picked up 'Mrs. Brady' in a bar
    Then he groped and then he poked the drunken lady,
    She shampooed with coal tar

:eek: :eek:

Florence Henderson: John Lindsay Gave Me Crabs
    [​IMG]

Huffington Post:
    New York City saw the continuation of a steep decline under the mayorship of John Lindsay, who reigned over the city from 1966-1973. Teachers went on strike, riots were fought and mounds of garbage filled the city streets.
    Turns out he had some sanitation problems in his personal life, too.
    Florence Henderson, most famous for her run as Carol Brady on the campy TV classic, "The Brady Bunch," reveals in her new memoir that she had a one-night stand with the Mayor while they were both in Beverly Hills. Henderson was married to Ira Bernstein at the time.
    "I was lonely. I knew it wasn't the right thing to do. So, what did I do? I did it," she writes in "Life Is Not A Stage,"
    the NY Daily News reports. And, following a night's sleep at home, she found out the hard way about the City that Never Sleeps.
    "Guess I learned the hard way that crabs do not discriminate but cross over all socioeconomic strata," Henderson writes. "He must have had quite the active life. What a way to put the kibosh on a relationship."
    Interestingly, this wasn't Lindsay's only brush with show business; he
    appeared in the 1975 film, "Rosebud," alongside Peter O'Toole, and, in another wooing of a beloved lady actress, sang to Angela Landsbury at the Tony Awards that same year.
    Henderson stayed married to Bernstein until their divorce in 1985; she later married Dr. John Kappas, who passed in 2002. Lindsay died in 2000.

16. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

I heard Mike Westhoff discuss the playbook issue with Michael Kay and LaGrecca yesterday afternoon. He said reading old play books is like "looking out the rear window of a car". He went out of his way to state that a coach getting the Tuesday night game plan would be bad and that was "looking through the windshield." Westhoff mentioned he found copies of his own Dolphins playbooks when he landed at a new place. In fact, when Mangini was hired, he absorbed Westhoff as ST coach. When Westhoff had an early meeting with Eric he brought his playboof to show the new HC. Mangini's reaction? "Yep, I've already seen this."

Westhoff was most upset with Pettine taking shots at Rex. He doesn't underatnd why the guy would do that to the man who gave him his big break - without Rex, Pettine is not a head coach today. Westhoff also said the fraternity of coaches is small and that you should never burn bridges. Belichick was upset to be dragged into this by name.

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

18. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Rex is blameless. Pettine is a scumbag. Jets fans are funny.

19. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

Oh so what did Rex do in this circumstance that was wrong? You know you can find NFL playbooks on the internet right? This whole thing is a non-issue and Pettine in his usual pot-stirring fashion is yet again putting Rex's name in his mouth making a non-issue a headline. Also Saban and Ryan are very close friends, for Pettine to just make that assumption that Saban would do that is pretty ridiculous. Where would a team get an advantage from having a playbook when it doesn't have anything in pertaining to the gameplan for that week?

Of course Darksiders and Jets haters are loving this. They'll latch on to anything where they can criticize the team, even in circumstances where the Jets are blameless.

Barcs likes this.
  20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member