NY Rangers 2011-2016 Season + Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by FrankTheTank, Oct 7, 2011.

1. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

My number one priority this season would be to try to move staal for a centerman.

2. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

That would be a wild ending to a wild playoff run for both teams...the team that has comeback against everyone gives up the last series up 3 to 0. Lets go with that. Why the F not.

3. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

whatever happens it was a fun ride. I can think of 29 other teams that would want to be where we have been for the last few months.

4. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

How about freeing up cap space and get rid of Richards? Rangers MUST resign Zucc also.

5. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Never a better time to go on a 4 game winning streak, Rangers are due for one. I bet you a million bucks the Kings are cocky and think they have this one in the bag. If there was ever a game to leave everything on the ice for the Rangers it'll be Wednesday, then Friday, Monday, and Wednesday is the mother of all games. LGR!!!!!!!!!

6. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

At least you're optomistic.

7. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

hey what else is there - maybe car bomb comes in and saves this series :)

8. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Have no idea what this means, but saw Nash had a rating of -2 going into last nights game. I wonder what his rating is going into game 4. Has the guy ever scored a goal before? Zuc was the best Ranger on the ice last night, but even he got denied.

9. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

- means that you were on the ice when the other team scored. + is when your on the ice for your team scoring.

10. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Got it. I also saw he was 0 for 14 on shots going into last night and he missed at least one more. Either Quick is dirty dirty or the Rangers can't score for shit. Also, St Louis has been pretty non existent.

Seems like the Kings are bigger and just keep coming. Rangers got the speed in the first two games early and often, but the big Kings just keep coming. Defense was atrocious in the first two games, the goals were gifts. Rangers have a bad knack for tossing the puck in front of their own goal, it's really bad.

11. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

I'm giving up on them winning series, but not giving up on stealing a game and extending it once more. They've had a great run, and any idiots claiming they don't belong here or the Western Conference so much better and all of that..sheesh this series could easily be 2-1 Ranger right now. The first 2 were a tossup of strange plays, blown leads........last night was the Quick show. (Sorry Hank but this guy is money, and you are not quite there yet).

So many crazy things go the Kings way (they work for the breaks though, great teams get breaks). They score with under 1 second left in the first......they score on a 2-1 pass of Mac's skate right back to the passer's stick for an easy goal......

I stocked up on Conference champ gear because I knew this was an uphill battle.....but I didn't know that we'd blow 2 games leads and lose in OT......that was tough. Last night's game was more what I expected from the start.

12. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

So if you're on the ice for 5 of your goals but 7 of your opponents goals you're a -2. Conversely, 7 of your goals but 5 of your opponents and you're a +2.

Justin Williams is highest at +14 for the playoffs. Dan Girardi is at a -5.

_

13. JStokes

By the way, Bobby Orr is second all-time +/- behind Larry Robinson (who played about 10 years more). Orr never had a minus season. Gretzky is 4th but he had 8 minus seasons.

Interesting that the top three guys are all defenseman. Ray Bourque is 3rd.

_

14. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

man this fuckin sucks to get so close

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's not over yet. The Rangers need to go one game at a time and just stay focused on keeping the puck out of their own goal. They get the breakaways and score when they do that. When they're pressing in the offensive end they rarely finish with a goal and they give up too many odd-man rushes.

The team doesn't have a big scorer at this point. They need to win by attrition and outworking the other team.

16. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

So, do the Rangers have a chance? Is it really unrealistic to think they can come back from 3-0? Hockey never really upset me before, but I did feel a bit shitty leaving the Garden last night, probably because of the atmosphere.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You're never out of a series until you give up. The Rangers identity at this point is hardworking team that never lets up shift after shift. That's because they've got 4 lines that all have two-way players on them but no line that consists of stars. If I was AV I'd open up with the best checking line in game 4 and roll from there. Establish a hard-hitting tempo and keep grinding until the Kings decide to give the game up and come back for game 5.

18. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

unfortunately this is negated agaisnt the Kings as it's their stregnth as well. They had their chances in the first 2 games, and couldn't, as the Kings did last night, get the all important 3 goal lead. The 3 goals lead is demoralizing no matter what point in the game you're at.

and when Quick outplays Hank = no chance. They had plenty of grade A chances again last night and Quick denied every one of them.

Let's face it, the Kings have the champ pedigree for a reason, I've never seen a team pounce on every opportunity they get (no matter how few) and basically cash in every time.

jaywayne12 likes this.
  19. JStokes

Realistically no. The only way they were winning the series is if Henrik was better than Quick and he just hasn't been. Althought the Rangers SHOULD have won at least one of the first 2 games--possibly both--they didn't. LA is just a better team. If Henrik can't steal the next 4 games and Quick doesn't steal one back--this thing is over.

_

20. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Dead on.

That's the thing about the Kings. Lets face it, it was no secret that the Rangers would come out last night firing on all cylinders and it probably does look like that was the case. I think it was the case. The Rangers came out flying. Problem is they are playing a team that is so good at "winning" at knowing what your opponents mind set is for that game and they up it by 1.

The first game was the tired game..the Kings were worn out..so the Rangers played 1 and a half periods and the Kings made them pay for it.

Second game was the coin flip game. Both teams played pretty evenly and the Rangers had their chances and the Kings just kept hitting and hitting and hitting...2 overtimes later...

3rd game is the emotional game..so the Kings change their gameplan and say lets go back to the during the season Kings. Smother the shit out of them to get the crowd out early. Rangers, even with that, had chances..but nobody saw a shutout coming after the first 2 games.

Many of us...MANY of us all season long said that the speed was a great thing but this team was not the kind of playoff team that could go far because of our size. Yeah we have some bigger guys..but true size..hitting etc. The Kings are the ultimate size team with speed. Are they are once every decade team? Before the season..no way..but they are getting there.

Tough matchup..real tough. We need to get bigger in front of the net next year but I doubt that can happen