ASOIAF: Game of Thrones Books (Contains SPOILERS!!)

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by abyzmul, Jun 10, 2013.

1. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I can't remember for sure but wasn't there something that said that Hodor isn't even his name, it's just the only thing that he says so now everyone calls him Hodor. I think Old Nan was the only one who remembered his birth name or something...but maybe I'm wrong.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That's correct, his real name is Walder.

deerow84 likes this.
  3. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Wow, lots of important stuff next episode unless they are going to push off certain story lines til next year.

4. displacedfan

I'm starting to think the last scene of the season won't be LSH and that it will be chanting.

5. abyzmul

If they push the Tyrion/Tywin scene to next season, you know the producers are scared about GRRM's ever finishing the books in time. They'll probably add half a dozen bullshit scenes just to prolong it to at least mid season.

6. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

It's gotta be next week doesn't it? They can't do another whole episode on the Wall

7. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

Definitely happening next week.

I'm a bit confused though, I haven't read the book in sometime, did Jon actually leave Castle Black after the battle? I thought he was going to be named Lord Commander, is this all happening next season now?

8. abyzmul

You could be right, I guess they will do Tyrion/Tywin, have Bran find the CoTF, and have Jon treat with Mance in the final episode. Plus some irrelevant crap with Dany and Arya.

I'm kind of annoyed that they killed off Pyp and Grenn, but since they didn't bother developing either character, I'm not surprised.

Looks like if they decide to have the final battle with the wildlings, it'll happen next season with Stannis saving the day.

9. abyzmul

He isn't named LC until after the last battle where Stannis shows up, and after they bring the remaining wildlings through the gate. In the books, the reason he goes to treat with Mance is that Thorne and Slynt want him to kill Mance, that's the only reason they don't have him hanged for being a traitor. Before Jon gets the chance to kill Mance, Stannis' army shows up.

10. displacedfan

Yeah I think everyone chanting Stannis could be the final scene of the season. Or they could still sneak in LSH but they have a lot to cover next episode.

I definitely thought Stannis was showing up this episode to bring the fight at the wall full circle for non book readers. Because if you watch the show only, the battle left in the middle of it

11. abyzmul

The only way the Stannis scene is the final frame is if they postpone Tyrion/Tywin until next season. The Stannis battle is small potatoes compared to something like that. People will lose their shit. No pun intended.

12. displacedfan

So then it's back to LSH. That's probably one thing that can compare and be remembered after Tyrion does his business. Make it look like the Lannisters are finally losing

13. abyzmul

LSH wouldn't measure up to Tyrion/Tywin either, in terms of final frame. Not saying they won't do it, but it's just not needed at this point. The best point of the reveal for LSH is when it actually happens, the Brienne execution scene. Because Brienne's storyline is just tragically boring. Probably why they accelerated a Feast storyline way in advance.

14. displacedfan

Yeah, the big scene happening in episode 10 is a curveball for the final scene. I think it has to be something that leads into next season or creates a run for it. If they end with Tyrion scene, maybe that? But I'm not sure they would do that, they need all the exposition after it.

Maybe it will just be another white walker scene or Khalessi's dragons being locked up, I think that's right about where that is. Maybe it will be nothing big because nothing can compare to what is going to happen with Tyrion

15. abyzmul

That's a good call about a cliffhanger, I just think they have enough of a following now not to need one. They will need as much punch next season as they can get considering the dry material they have to work with.

16. displacedfan

Yeah this might be good enough of an episode to push the series forward. Well, it seems they are just skipping the dry material and now this is a total guess, they will focus on Dorne and the Greyjoys/Kingsmoot and all of that stuff next season since those are interesting and "new". Sprinkle in the older characters to keep everyone connected to them and introduce those two big new story lines and characters. Hopefully GRRM gets the next book out before they start filming for season 6 of the TV show. Eventually the show is going to ruin the books, but I think they can push off anything big for another season

17. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I don't know how they are going to cram everything into one episode. They could have half the episode dedicated to Jon Snow meeting up with Mance and Stannis showing up alone, they have to put in Tyrion taking out Tywin and a final frame of seeing LSH would be pretty epic as well.

I think they start off with Dany and give her some kind of ending that won't be particularly exciting (i.e. locking up her dragons), show Jon meeting with Mance but not the Stannis showing up part yet, go to the Vale and wrap up whatever is going to happen with Arya (hopefully she gets on a boat for Braavos), show Brienne get kidnapped while still in the Vale but don't show LSH yet, flip over to Tyrion to show him escape and kill Tywin, flip back to Jon at the wall now and Stannis shows up with Melissandre and then use the lord of light segway into showing LSH as the last frame.

Or not. I guess we'll see soon. I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if they didn't show LSH yet but it would be a huge "WTF!!!" moment for non-book readers. Even more so than Tywin getting capped on the crapper, IMO.

18. displacedfan

I like the show too. I reread my comment and when I said "ruin the books", I didn't type what I meant to. I meant to type "spoil the books". The books "spoil" endings for show viewers. There is a possibility that the show will start doing that to book readers.

And, I found it hard to believe Stannis didn't come in episode 9 because of the way the episode ended. I'm thinking of the show as a person who hasn't read the books, the battle is kind of put on paused for a week. I just didn't think from a TV perspective that the writers would do that. It surprised me. Epusode 10 would have still been the big one without Stannis. I'm just making a large assumption here, but I think a lot of viewers kind of forgot about Stannis and don't have a strong opinion of him.

19. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

So how is this all working now? Season 5 will comprise of the end of ASoS and the beginning of AFfC?

20. abyzmul

The timelines are all skewed now, things that happened at the Iron Islands in ASoS haven't happened yet and things that happened with Brienne in Feast have already happened, although they have butchered Brienne's arc so much that it's inconsequential until she gets captured by the Brotherhood.

Fonzie is strapping those waterskis on.