Which is the best sport to watch IN PERSON?

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by HackettSuxTNG, May 12, 2014.

?

Which is the best sport to watch IN PERSON?

1. NBA Basketball

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. NFL Football

13 vote(s)
    27.7%
  3. NHL Hockey

30 vote(s)
    63.8%
  4. Major League Baseball

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

This. 100%.

2. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

You have to remember who I root for so you may have to refresh me what postseason baseball is :)

Honestly it really depends what we are talking about, is it just watching the game or is it the whole experience?

For me a great experience is taking my son to see the Padres, paying 10 bucks each for GA seats. Getting a few tacos and taking him to play on the playground in the outfield while I sit on the grass and watch the game eating some tacos and drinking some cerveza. The view is usually terrible as it's obstructed and you are dealing with kids running around but it's a fun experience.

Of the 4 listed I love live hockey, you get a real feel for how hard those guys hit the puck, how fast they are and how rough the game is physically. I don't think you get that with the NFL (as you are usually too far away from the action to see those things)

Now best live sporting events for me are UFC fights. I was in the 2nd row for one of the Ortiz/Liddell fights and the atmosphere, the intensity and all the other stuff that go with it are second to none. UFC put on an amazing live show and if you ever have a chance to go to one you won't regret it and I'm just a causal fan, in fact I'd rate it after tennis and track and field for my personal favotites but it is awesome live

Brook!, HAYN, abyzmul and 1 other person like this.
  3. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

Yup.

Will post some thoughts on the whole experience as well as the travel and safety concerns. I saw a video of some Brazilian fans firing off AK-47 rifles into the sky after a goal their team scored (somewhat recent footage). I think during the actual World Cup, it may be some what different, and I am expecting security tighter. I am also hoping fans will help other fans should anything go wrong.

4. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

I have only ever been to 2 live professional sporting events, and they were both NFL regular season games at Century Link in Seattle. That was pretty awesome; the atmosphere in that stadium is bananas.

Oh, and I also went to UFC 84 at the MGM in Las Vegas. Saw mah boy BJ Penn reclaim the Lightweight belt and met Shaquille O'neal. The intensity and brutality of a UFC event was pretty epic.

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

it tells us more people like basketball than hockey. that's really not debateable

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Fixed like a motherfucker.

I own season tickets for the Spurs, and I love, LOVE, watching them play, but I have never felt the rush that I got watching NHL games. Not once.

#66 abyzmul, May 20, 2014
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
  7. nyjunc

clearly not many people agree or they'd watch more hockey. The TNT studio show(not the actual game) last night destroyed the Ranger game in the ratings.

8. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I'm not sure tv ratings or the sheer volume of fans is really the best criteria for judging how exciting a sport is, especially live.

Millions of people watch rednecks turning left around an oval for hours upon hours and billions of people watch a bunch of prisses jog around a big grass field chasing a round ball and rarely scoring.

_

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Many people have Facebook accounts and watch American Idol. Many people are drooling idiots.

And none of your argument has anything to do with watching a live game.

10. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

You only watch hockey in Hawai'i if you're from the mainland. Lolz.

11. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Except when discussing which is the best sport to watch in person TV rating don't tell us anything. That's really not debatable.

12. nyjunc

why wouldn't people watch such an exciting sport though?

we all have different opinions, I will say hockey is more exciting than soccer but there's a reason not many people care about in this country.

why would people choose to watch less exciting sports?

the "most exciting" live sport is very debatable, it all depends on personal preference but most popular sport is not debatable.

13. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

14. nyjunc

WNBA

15. JStokes

Why would people watch boring sports?

I think you meant this response for the "Which is the most POPULAR SPORT" thread?

_

16. nyjunc

I don't know, ask shadetree.

most popular isn't debatable but most exciting is. I do like hockey and I always hear how playoff hockey is the best but I don't buy it. Playoff OT hockey or playoff OT hockey in game 7? maybe.

17. JStokes

This wasn't a discussion about most popular. Just look up the stats I guess. Soccer to me is incredibly boring but billions around the world love it. NASCAR is even more boring but millions in this country love it. I can't fathom that either of those sports are more exciting than hockey or lacrosse or even darts--but the followings in those sports is dwarfed in comparison.

But popularity has little to to do with excitement.

The discussion centered around which sport is the most EXCITING to watch live--as you say a subjective discussion. Using popularity or TV ratings as evidence of how exciting a sport is in a subjective conversation is silly. Billions of people in India and Europe and Latin/South America that revere soccer--were raised on it-- have never even SEEN a hockey game--to suggest that those billions have the information to make a call on whether, for instance, soccer or hockey is more exciting is, again, silly.

India is 3 times the size of the US. Europe is twice the size. South America and Mexico combined are larger than the US.

Hell, a billion people in India watch cricket. Is that evidence that it's more exciting than baseball? Hardly, it's what they were raised with.

There are probably some sports in some nordic regions or Siberia or China that are 1000X more exciting than hockey, basketball and soccer combined--but no one has ever heard of them. Maybe it's a sport that involves axes, ice, blood, a mummified head, amputations, forced debauchery, treachery and imitation crab meat. Does that make them any less exciting? Because they don't have billions of followers and aren't televised?

_

18. nyjunc

I am not worried about what people around the world think, this discussion is more about people in this Country. Hockey is there for anyone to watch, it's not as easy to play due to the expense of equipment and all that but anyone can watch it and I do think it is an interesting sport but my preference is basketball. I love baseball to and it can get pretty boring but I'd rather watch a baseball game than a hockey game.

HAYN likes this.
  19. JStokes

No issue with any of that at all.

_

20. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

Sports is an emotional roller coaster. Of course what is fun/exciting isn't the same for everyone, it never will be, that's what makes it great. A lot of people have mentioned how boring Soccer is. That is their opinion and I understand why. Soccer was never a big sport in this country, maybe it never will be, BUT, the main reason why its boring to them is not because they don't understand it, its because they have no emotional ties to the sport/teams. These people were not raised with a sport, they aren't emotionally, or sometimes, financially invested (tickets). However, when Team USA is playing, majority of those who don't follow Soccer, are the ones paying attention.

A lot of people here have stated how great Hockey is. For me, Hockey is boring. Not because I don't understand it, but because its not something I grew up watching, its not something i have been invested in. I have been to live games, the experience is always ok, only because I don't really care who wins or who loses. Of course ill cheer for the home team the Rangers, but if they lose, i dont feel shitty like if the Jets or Knicks lost.

nyjunc likes this.