2014 New York Jets Rookie Minicamp

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jay Bizniss, May 16, 2014.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah, I've always seen it used to generically describe the break in fluidity of a throwing motion. Could happen at any point.

2. abyzmul

Yeah, Smith was described across the board by Rex, Pettine and Westhoff as really intelligent and very football smart, he just didn't have the physical ability to translate it to the field.

3. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Despite me just having mocked Eric Smith (I did, however, mock his athletic abilities), I agree with the notion that he'll be a fine coach. IIRC, his football IQ was something for which he was praised, even early in his career when he was at Mich St.

hwismer likes this.
  4. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I agree, could be a number of things but it usually refers to some sort of issue with the way or the timing of how he brings the ball up and into the throwing motion. Could be a long loop, could be a slight hesitation at some point, could be a herky jerky motion, could be a different release point, could be pushing the ball, could be not bringing the ball up enough or too much and could be bringing it up but then lowering it a touch before he throws it.

Who knows, gotta see it first.

_

mezzavo and The Uniform Bomber like this.
  5. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Physically he reminds me of D McNabb. If he performs half as well.... :)

Jay Bizniss and NYJetsO12 like this.
  6. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Eric Smith wasn't THAT bad of a safety. He just wasn't that good in coverage and didn't have the speed to cut off angles at times. When it came to blitzing, hard hitting and stacking the box against the run he did pretty well. Hopefully he'll be a good mentor for Pryor.

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

people think if a player isn't a star player he sucks. Smith played well for us on D and STs for a long time. He was an unsung hero in that NE playoff win a few years back and should be appreciated for that. all they remember is the chase of tebow when he was playing hurt. he wasn't Ronnie Lott but he wasn't bad either.

8. Warrior

Warrior Member

Agree

nyjunc likes this.
  9. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Whether you want to call him bad or not, Smith was painstakingly slow. That's not debatable. Rex tried to make up for that by utilizing him in only certain sub packages, coverages and downs. Unfortunately for us, smart opposing offenses and QBs knew this and made sure they had plays that they could audible to in order to take advantage of Smith when he was on the field. As a fan you kind of lose all thought of a player being smart, tough and gritty, when you are watching him fail to make a sideline tackle while having the perfect pursuit angle. I for one use to be more upset of him being on the field in the first place than of what he did. I'd see him in the huddle and immediately turn to my wife and say they are going to throw right at Smith; I was usually right.

10. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Pryor likes to talk smack. Good, we need more attitude at the back end.

11. Vahncase

Vahncase Well-Known Member

I know this has been mentioned before, but with the helmet on McDougle looks like a Milliner clone. Their faces are identical.

NYJets17 likes this.
  12. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

Guys, don't get bent out of shape with a "hitch" in a QB's delivery. It's just the first day. Maybe it was a stop in his motion while he was in "read and react " . He hasn't worked with any of these receivers yet and need some time to gauge their speed and learn their crispness running routes. Just sit back and watch.

BTW, I enjoyed watching all the film...back to football!

13. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone was getting bent out of shape at all. One poster asked what does a hitch in a throwing motion refer to, and a couple others explained it and simply speculated on what that hitch might be.

14. carlito1171

carlito1171 Member

He hit the decal of off Welker's helmet. That gets a +1 from me.

He was great on ST's and as safety depth for us but got exposed in coverage when he was asked to start. Overall solid player for us but yes he was frustrating when he started.

nyjunc likes this.
  15. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

ok, ok, that's enough out of you guys. Can't we all just get along? I mean, we're all Jets fans here.

16. Dreadmadseen

Dreadmadseen Active Member

LoL, I hear Smith is a bright guy..he probably know the defense as well as anyone. Most likely he's instructing players on "what to do" more than how to do it.

The Uniform Bomber likes this.
  17. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Lol I don't think anyone isn't getting along, at least in this thread. I was just saying no one is getting bent out of shape considering this was a very low key and friendly conversation about what a hitch is.

18. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

haha yeah I mentioned this as soon as I saw him. I couldn't believe it. Someone posted a side by side the other day

19. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

he was hurt in 2011, too many fans just remember that bad stretch where he wasn't close to 100% but kept playing hard.

The play of the game may have been the botched punt by NE and he was the reason the NE player took off and ran w/ it. He was actually held on that play too, luckily they didn't get the 1st down.

20. abyzmul

I think he was joking.