Geno or Vick? Who do you think becomes starter week 1?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Apr 17, 2014.

?

Geno or Vick? Who starts week 1 of 2014 season

1. Geno

88 vote(s)
    56.1%
  2. Vick

59 vote(s)
    37.6%
  3. Matt Simms?!?

10 vote(s)
    6.4%
  1. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

Geno didn't play great but he didn't play bad enough that I'm ready to give up on him. Geno will be the starter week 1, I think we all know that at this point. I do think at some point in the season Vick is gonna get some action though.

2. Innocenti

Innocenti Active Member

Actually what gets really old is the parade of people who want the team to keep investing more resources into a player who isn't producing well. Should we have kept Clemens longer? Should we have not drafted Geno in the first place because we needed to give Sanchez more time?

It has nothing to do with Geno sucking or not sucking. The numbers are what they are no matter what qualitative description you attach to them. Call his 66 qb rating great all you want but there were 30 teams better than us in passing. It's not worth trying to tweak that up.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

so every player gets 1 year then we scrap the whole thing?

4. Innocenti

Innocenti Active Member

Dude don't twist my words. But Geno's numbers haven't earned him any job security.

Big Blocker likes this.
  5. Innocenti

Innocenti Active Member

You know what guys, I concede. Let's start Vick, let Geno learn from the bench, so that in year three he has a shot at being as good as most of the early round rookies. That's the best idea I've heard.

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

those are your words. how else should that be interpreted?

7. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Bet you would. That's not the QB we have today though in Vick. He had a magical 12 games. Other than that he's relied solely on his now degrading talent. I don't think you guys have seen enough Vick games. If you did, I think you'd agree. Eagle fans hate him because he makes a million dumb mistakes. At his age, that's not acceptable because he doesn't learn. Geno might.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

8. Vanbiesbrouck

Vanbiesbrouck Active Member

The four of you that voted for Matt Simms better all be named Matt Simms.

Vick could be the present, but only Geno has a chance to be the future. I'd like to give him that chance. We're still a year away anyway (if not more).

9. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

We do? With all due respect, who is "we" and upon what do you base this rather confident assumption?

10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

He was such a dummy that he got a several million dollar contract from JI and was rated the highest QB pick up in FA. That doesn't sound like someone who has "magical games" --12 times??? Vick must be rubbing the Genie bottle instead of making plays lol.

11. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Well honestly a $5 million dollar 1 year contract is chump change for quality QB's in this league. Vick has shown more ability as a QB than you can sum up in the phrase "12 magical games" but he makes a lot more mistakes than you want a veteran starting QB to make. If he didn't, he wouldn't be in a competition with a young unproven QB playing for peanuts in terms of what QB's make in this league. Geno made a lot of mistakes as well, but they are relatively excusable considering he was a rookie playing with a putrid offense. Geno is more than likely our starter week 1. Vick is here because he:

1. Has familiarity in Mornhinweg's offense.
    2. Has a similar skill set to Geno in that he has good mobility and has a big arm.
    3. Showed he can handle playing second fiddle to a young QB.
    4. Can play if Geno's development proves to be as bad or worse than his rookie year.

12. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

I picked Simms on a goof so sue me. But now I would say go with somebody proven. Put
    Vick out there unless Geno has a super pre season. Let him learn on the bench it couldn't
    hurt him.

13. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

How many handles does Mrs. Smith have here?

14. Big Blocker

The main reason the Jets got Vick you did not mention, and that was the poor play of Smith last year.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. Big Blocker

Seriously, a very good NFL QB??? You saw that? I sure as hell didn't. I saw 3 wins against the weak sisters of he NFL, especially a cratering Fish team that had gone scoreless the week before against Buffalo (how do you do that???), and of course a loss against the one good team they faced. Smith cut down on his turnovers. Woopie. His ypa actually dropped from his season long average.

To me it was more like stopping knocking your head against the wall than it was something truly great like getting laid or high or something.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I definitely want to see what Geno can do with an improved offense around him.

His numbers last year when Kerley played was very respectable for a rookie. 59.5% completion 12 TD's/12 INT's.

Now add Decker and Amaro, you're improving Geno's support exponentially. Add into that Saunders who I think is going to be the Offensive Weapon this year, doing a little bit of everything, Geno is primed for a good season.

If Geno still sucks, than you have a decent backup in Michael Vick to come in and take over, and you'll know Geno definitely isnt the guy. Then you go get your QB in next years draft.

The 1985er likes this.
  17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The end of the season mirage was created by how truly awful he played for a large portion of it. When a QB goes more than a month without completing double digit passes in a game (Tebow level play) they don't have to play at a very high level to appear much better than they previously were. So while he did play better at the end of the year I think people over rate that by a large margin. There are some other variables involved in the end of the year improvement add to my skepticism such as the quality of opponents and the amount of running Geno was doing. In any case, he was hardly very impressive and I don't see how anyone saw signs of him becoming a "very good QB".

Geno is very much a work in progress and by no means should be handed the starting position without strongly considering Vick, who obviously is the better QB to date. That's not to say Geno can't become better just that he clearly has not shown that yet and anyone who wants to claim he has is probably watching with thick green goggles.

abyzmul likes this.
  18. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

If Vick is here in case Geno is as bad as his rookie year, it's implied that he had a bad rookie year. Don't be a douche.

19. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I hate the quality of opponents argument. This is the NFL. if Geno stunk against Oakland then he would've stunk. But he had a solid game but it's dismissed because it's the Raiders? Geno had a solid game against the Panthers too and they were a good team last year.

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

It wasn't my argument and I never "dismissed" anything. It was stated in my "some other variables involved" as somewhat of an afterthought to my main point. Of course if you stink against a shitty team it is much worse than if you stink against a very good team. That's just common sense.

Geno never threw for more than 219 yards or 2 TD's in his 4 game improvement and against the Panthers who you mentioned he was 53% completions for 167 yards with 1td and 1int. These are the types of games people are getting pumped up about because he was so awful prior to that. Those games might give you a lot of confidence in Geno but I am still very skeptical for many reasons.