Leberfeld : " Jets' roster moves don't add up " ~ ~ ~

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by kelly, Sep 29, 2006.

1. JoeJet

JoeJet Banned

I read the NFL transaction list everyday,,,,and teams all over the league are making moves every day.

2. floridajet

floridajet Member

Retarded post, don't question Mangini.

3. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

I always thought Leberfeld was one of the more sensible Jets writers but he seems to be reaching for something that isn't there this time.

4. KSJets

KSJets New Member

Remember, this is the guy who was in love with Bollinger. He's probably still not over them getting rid of him so he'll take his shots here and there whenever he can.

5. JetsFan58

JetsFan58 New Member

My take on Mangini's praise of the released players was that he was trying to help them land jobs elsewhere. I mean, would Danny boy have felt better if Mangini would have said, "Well, these guys really suck, they can't even make it with a team that had a 4-12 record last year. UPS, you need any drivers? These guys just might be able to handle that. They sure suck as football players, though."?

6. NYMagpies

NYMagpies New Member

i like how they got katnip back on the PS tho.

7. RedWhiteBlue&Green

RedWhiteBlue&Green Active Member

I'm surprised we got rid of Katnik, myself, because of his flexibility in different positions, but this article is way off! You would think, with the tone of this piece, that Chad and Vilma were getting cut! Give me a break!

8. Ambrose

Ambrose New Member

Angry:

Can you please point out to me the play that Myers made that was a key to a Jet victory?

He had an assist on Specials and a penalty on Specials. Thats about it.

9. Ambrose

Ambrose New Member

Uh . . . Schlegel has yet to play a regular season game.

Its a shame the Jets didnt hire you to do scouting for them. I mean its obvious from your credentials of having watched Smith and Schlegel so closely that you could have done a better job than the actual scouts and coaches of the Jets. Man those guys must really suck if you think they do!

10. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Ok, I never said a word about playing Smith or Schlegel...

All I said was Smith has done well on special teams, and has even played in dime defenses for the Jets...To POSSIBLY be groomed to play FS next season for the Jets...Just an observation.

11. asscue35

asscue35 New Member

WHY? what are you basing this on? guess? some sportswriters opinion? some draft guru talk or the assesments of some scouts and GM's who do not work for the Jets? Do you think that these players will never make a meaningful contribution to this team? If you do , please make that arguement in a couple of years, AFTER they have played, not before they have played. Unless you are Psychic or the second coming of God, please leave the baseless predictions to the sportswriters who enjoy indulging in this kind of talk.

12. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Smith has played a few snaps and schlegel has played on special teams. I don't think they suck at all. They just sucked on that 3rd round. I love the new regime but I'm not going to love all their moves. Conversely, I hated Herm and Badway but didn't hate every move they made. I guess you must be the funny guy on this board.

13. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

schlegel hasn't played on special teams

14. John127

John127 New Member

This is simple. Leberfeld is yet another member of the media who is upset that he is not privy to information. That's that. It kills him that maybe the coaches know something he doesn't about why the moves were made.

The Katnik move looks strange, but who knows what really goes on off the field (or on the practice field)? Certainly none of us and obviously not Dan Leberfeld. So sorry his feelings are hurt - that's certainly what the article stems from.

15. legler82

I could of swarn I said what I was basing it on. Let me see:

Oh I did. Oh look there's more. I said "At this point if either starts or gets significant playing time it would not be beneficial for the team. They are both serious liabilities on defense". Operative phrase being "at this point". I'm definately not a psychic. Anything can happen in the future, but "at this point" they are liabilities. BTW Smith, in his very limited time, might be top 5 in missed tackles on the team. I would go back and look at all the games to confirm that but it's not worth it. One thing for sure he has missed quite a few.

16. legler82

My apologies. I'm probably thinking of the preseason.

17. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

We're 2-1. Leberfield has to find something to complain about. maybe he's been having lunch with Cannizaro and Cimini? And caught their "The Jets have to suck because they are the Jets" disease?

18. JetsFan58

JetsFan58 New Member

I agree with him on Schlegel. I too have seen him play--two years here in college and in TC and he's still unable to cover anyone on pass coverage. A TE or a RB on a pass pattern through his area will be open. I think it will be difficult to teach him to be quicker. Not saying it can't be done through showing him how to better position his body and through raising his anticipation, but I'll be surprised if it happens. I can see him being effective in short yardage situations where he has no pass coverage responsibilites and only has to take on the blocker and fill the hole. But do you keep a guy with that limited of a role?

Smith has already made some plays in limited appearances. I haven't keyed on him in re-watching the games, but I'd be very surprised to find that he's in the top 5 in missed tackles.

And I have to disagree with you on the timing of voicing an opinion on the worth of a player that you've seen play before he became a Jet. If that is his opinion, NOW is the time to voice it rather than in two years. If he waits two years before speaking up and then says, 'Well, I thought all along that these guys were no good'--who's going to believe him? If you've seen a guy play and you have an opinion, you state your case and you get proven correct or you look like a bozo. Takes a little more balls than waiting until the player has a proven track record, though. And if he's right then we'll know that he's either psychic or a god, I guess--or else he's someone who can watch a player play and can form an opinion.

19. glenn212

glenn212 New Member

Let Mangini and Tannenbaum pick and evaluate the players, let us cheer for the players..This is the big boy league here, anytime you feel the chance to make yourself better you DO..Those guys were payed very well and hopefully they get picked up by someone, but I'm not crying over it Danny boy..Maybe they can use their college degree for what it's meant..a real job..you know like the rest of us!!

#39 glenn212, Sep 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2005
  20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Hey, I know, the Jets should give the players a care package when they get cut. Like a box of candy and some gummi bears and some Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle action figures.

Give me a frigging break. They are being laid-off from a team that spends millions and millions of dollars a year to employ their players. Sorry, but they get paid enough not to get special treatment. This is a specialty field, Barney the Purple Dinosaur should not play into the equation at all.

Dan Leberfeld is a hack.