Predict # of 2014 Starters from this Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by legler82, May 10, 2014.

1. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Opening Day -> One.

Although Pryor looks like the only opening day starter, I'm expecting multiple rookies to get good # of snaps this season. Amaro should make the starting lineup by game 16 and hopefully other rookies can join him there.

#41 ajax, May 11, 2014
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
    abyzmul likes this.
  2. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I'll guess that to open the season Calvin Pryor will be the starting FS, Jace Amaro will be a starting TE with Cumberland (I'll predict that the starting lineup consists of two TEs rather than a FB). So 2 opening day starters.

I think McDougle will begin as a subpackage and special teams guy and Jalen Saunders will be a kick and or punt returner.

Dozier will eventually start in 2014 or 2015, but not to open the season. I can also see Jeremiah George gaining playing time at ILB, but not starting in 2014.

I wouldn't be shocked if Shaq Evans ended up as a starting among this group especially since Jeremy Kerley seems to be a more likely fit in the slot.

3. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

I think 3 this year with the obvious choices being Pryor, Amaro, and Saunders (PR/KR) as previously mentioned. Long term I could also see Dozier, Reilly, Enunwu and McDougle as potential starters. The others may not be starters but could be serious contributors.

4. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Yes. This is the point that the fans whining about using all 12 picks are missing. Even the best talent evaluators have historically shown that the late rounds of the NFL draft are both low-probability and mostly about luck. You can get starters/major contributors from the late rounds for sure, but despite what lots of people want to believe, the biggest factor (though not only one) in finding these guys is coincidence, not skill.

That's why there's no problem with using all 12 picks on themselves. Trading up for the right deal would have been fine. Using all 12 is also fine. It just increases the odds of actually landing that late round contributor.

5. laxin

laxin Active Member

Id say its a given, barring a camp injury, that Pryor and Amaro will be starters and big parts of their respective sides. Amaro should be at the very least, the #3 target on offense.

Jalen should be the starting PR, and can be an OW type. I think its possible that Evans starts as the #2 at some point.

McDougle will probably start as the #4 CB and might end the year as the #2 if he progresses well.

Dozier will get a chance to start next year.

So Im going to say 2 start day 1, and by the end of the year 4 are starting and 2 more are nice role players.

Run_N_gun10 likes this.
  6. laxin

laxin Active Member

Amaro is easily the best TE on the roster right now, there's no way he's not the opening day starter (barring an injury).

7. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

I was gonna say 4-5...but after reviewing the picks, reality set in & it seems more like 1-2....I'll just say they may have a lot of contributors.
    1-Pryor;
    2-Amaro...might not start but will make big contributions{just as good a starter};
    3-Dozier & one of WR's may get a start or 2 due to injuries.
    4- ILB George may get a lot of playing time & maybe a late season start due to injuries.
    5-Jets drafted & signed (UDFA) some interesting DB's...I see some starts or a lot of playing tome for new DB's.

8. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

Call me crazy but....my vision is that Dozier will push LG Winters for playing time if Winters doesn't improve; but Winters will eventually become Mangolds successor at Center...which I believe will be Winters best OL position. Bottom line, Jets have to improve OL, RB's can't run w/o holes & blocking....not even the best back; but even a bad RB can gain a few yards with a very good OL ???
    Jets still have to improve OL. OL has taken steps backward ever since they released there best OL back-up Robert Turner. OL still hasn't recovered. IMO...Jets still need a big/strong /agile/smart Guard @ 6'3"or4" 330lbs. Maybe even 2 of them...then we can be in division winning conversations.
    Next years Jets draft...concentrate on OLB & OL & upgrade overall LB talent. Jets also need to upgrade DL....Coples really has a lot to prove this season, but since it's his contract year ???....it's show or go time. Klecko has already called him out.

9. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I'm gonna say Pryor and Amaro are locks to start.

10. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I agree. Not much competition and good talent. I don't think McDougle starts, maybe one of the WRs can steal Nelson or Hills spot. Barring injuries that's about it though.

11. shelbyblue

shelbyblue Member

Pryor of course, Amaro with the two TE sets we will run and give defenses fits, Saunders in short yardage and P/KR, Dozier might push out Vlad and Evans and Enunwa split time. Mc Dougle if healthy will play behind Walls or Patterson.

12. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

He's coming from a whole different style of offense. I don't think it's a lock he starts.

13. joe

joe Well-Known Member

King Ugly's left the building. Vikings.

14. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

gotta be a minimum 3 from this very deep draft. me thinks 4 would be more of a home run considering the number of picks we utilized.

15. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

this appears to be an improved lineup but 2 things stand out to me (glass half empty way).....the fact that we have pace still penciled in at OLB and the OG position is the same as last year. i do hope we can get better play at guard and younger, faster at OLB.

16. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Game 1 will have 3 starters. Pryor, Amaro and Saunders.

By the end of the season I'm thinking 5-6, depending on injuries.

I could easily see McDougle, Evans, Dozier getting starts if other guys get injured, or if Colon/Winters sucks.

17. GriffDog

GriffDog Member

If Patterson is healthy I don't think Mcdougle is going to beat him out...there is a learning curve for CBs as we saw last year. Pryor Amaaro and Saunders should all start. It is going to be a real interesting training camp to see who beats out who. OLB should be interesting to watch especially.

18. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Lol, Saunders starting? Don't be ridiculous.

19. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Does punt returning not count?

Pretty sure it does, and if not, it should.

20. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I didn't realize that's what you meant, but yeah that makes sense. As far as calling returners "starters," that's pretty open to an interpretation. Personally I wouldn't, since they play such a small percentage of the overall snaps, but I wouldn't give you a hard time if you did.