State of the Receivers

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ajitator, May 10, 2014.

1. laxin

laxin Active Member

I think Quincy Enunwa could be a very good sleeper... I wouldnt count him out. More upside than Nelson IMO.

you cant teach 6'2 225 4.45. Possibility also they may want him to gain 15 pounds and be an h-back similar to Jordan Reed.

boozer32 likes this.
  2. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

It's an awesome problem to have! Really excited about our new look offense!

3. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

I like Nelson also, but Jacoby Ford is a potential gamebreaker receiver. He's been injured a lot, but if you look at his 2010 highlights (and his 18.8 yards per reception average that year), you'll see someone who was pretty impressive and can stretch the field vertically, which is what MM needs for his offense. Nelson is a classic possession receiver and the Jets already have Decker and Kerley who are both possession receivers (although Decker is more than just a possession receiver, but his 40 yard time is 4.54). I guess it comes down to what the rookies bring to the table, but I think if Ford plays well in the preseason, he beats out Nelson. Of course, he might be injured by then also.

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Still not sure why we didn't draft or at least sign as a UDFA Brandon Coleman of Rutgers. He was the leading prospect on Kiper's board for almost 2 rounds and he ended up getting signed by New Orleans after the draft was over. We must have perceived a problem with him of some sort.

5. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Dude don't forget that was 4 years ago. Ford's been on the IR like 3 or 4 times since then.

6. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Ford is a low risk high reward type signing. If he does nothing special in camp, then nothing lost by just dropping him. If his talent emerges and he has a monster preseason, then the Jets may have a cheap upgrade on the roster. More than likely, he's gone before the Eagles game.

MaximusD163 likes this.
  7. Innocenti

Innocenti Active Member

I wouldn't mind Holmes returning if we don't have to pay him big money.

8. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

Excellent post, Ajitator. Thanks for all the well considered thought, time and effort you clearly put into it.

#28 Altoona, May 11, 2014
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
  9. jetfannerd

jetfannerd Trolls

I actually thought Salas was pretty good when given a chance last year. He was by far the best guy on those bubble screens.

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Great post. For once we will have enough good talent to force a tough decision as who to cut, keep or place on the practice squad.
    I'm wondering btw which of the rookies might be candidates for the practice squad. Hopefully they will not get taken from us.

It will interesting to see how many WR we will carry on the roster, 5-6 or 7.

If we can manage to have at some point a line up with Ford, Saunders, Hill as wide outs and Johnson with Goodson in the back field we would have enough speed and explosiveness to run with the football straight to hell and back in one play. I'm pumped

11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Agreed but... say hello to Jalen Saunders.

We certainly have the TYPES of receivers, that's for sure. How talented they are and if they pan out, that's another story. We have slot burners in Kerley and Saunders. Decker, Shaq and Enunwa can go grab it and are all red zone targets. Add in Amaro and we have some really nice, young receiving options that can grow with our young QB.

12. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

Ford's best value and use is on special teams where he has enjoyed his best success. With his stature and already well documented injury history, he just can't be reasonably expected to hold up week in, week out rigors of being a starting receiver as well. Not realistic. After missing all of 2012, he came back in 2013 and did basically nothing. It's interesting that some of the same folks who have written off Hill as a potentially relevant WR for the Jets are so optimistic about Ford....

13. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Yeah but that is the only thing he is decent at. The guy is a #6 on a crap receiving corp at best.

14. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

We actually went through 9 WRs last season. I think the most we had active at any one time way 6 when Hill and Kerley were both limited coming back from injury. Given the injury history of our current crew and the way Idzik likes to preach competition I wouldn't be surprised to see us keep 7 on the roster. Even if it's just to keep anyone else from snagging them off our PS ( See O. Aboushi and Campbell last season).

We had 5 active at the end of last season, But that was with 4 TEs on the roster as well ( Winslow, Cumberland, Pantele and Sudfeld ). With a more established cumberland and a slotted starter from the draft in Amaro I would think we keep 3 TEs ( Jace, Cumberland, Sudfeld ) and take the extra roster spot for WR.

WR: Decker, Kerley, Hill, Nelson, Ford, Saunders, Evans.
    TE: Cumberland, Amaro, Sudfeld
    RB: Ivory, Johnson, Powell, Goodson/??

Wow even just writing that felt good. Can't wait for this season.

Welcome to the board Santonio, Nice of you to finally interact with the fans a little bit.

P.S. Glad people appreciated the effort. Thanks for the support. Seems like this actually turned into a pretty decent discussion.

15. Pavelboca

Pavelboca Active Member

...why? It's in the past now. We've got a ton of guys hungry to make the roster, why bring him back now?

16. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

All I'm going to say is our WR/TE positions look a lot better on paper! But on paper doesn't matter..... They gotta produce....

17. Innocenti

Innocenti Active Member

What I can't have an opinion? I'm not even advocating bringing him back. However, he still has more upside than most of our WRs. My biggest problem with him last season was his bloated contract. I doubt he'll return and admittedly it's a bit trifling to even mention him. But so are a lot of other forum posts and I still need to express myself.

18. JetFanatic101

JetFanatic101 New Member

Hey, I haven't posted much at all I mainly just lurk and read the posts here, which are awesome by the way. I just had to reply to this post because it was awesome. Seeing the potential that this team FINALLY has at WR is exciting to say the least. If for some reason Hill was to turn into something with it being his 3rd year and all this offense could be deadly. He hasn't dropped as many passes as people think, he's just continuing to learn the game. He was extremely raw which was known and I feel he's the X factor for the offense this season.

The more I watch Jalen Saunders highlights the more I see a potential home-run threat any time he's on the field. I didn't know a thing about this kid, but he's electric. In this offense he would be damn near unstoppable with the way Marty would use him. And the fact that he can also return punts helps the cause. I pray that his game at college translates to the NFL.

I'm extremely anxious to see who steps up and takes that #2 WR spot on this team. I haven't given up on Hill yet and really feel that this year he's going to wow everyone. The good thing to know is that if he doesn't turn out we have a slew of young and hungry receivers who are willing to step up and take it.

19. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

Since Jets drafted a lot of WR's, they will probably keep more as Special Teamers. No reason to draft so many & at a high level & then cut them ??? For that, U trade pick off for the next year ???

20. Pavelboca

Pavelboca Active Member

There's nothing wrong with you expressing your opinion, I was just wondering what your reasoning was.