We're going to regret not taking a WR

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by southparkfanciz, May 10, 2014.

1. southparkfanciz

southparkfanciz Active Member

Did I make you mad bro? Stupid shit? Thanks, you proved your penis is mightier than mine alright. It just mind fucks me when people expect to copy another teams strategy and expects it to work. I'll give it to Idzik though, as I learned today that he did indeed try and trad up for Lee. So if that scenario happened, would you have been pissed then mightier Jets fan?

2. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

If you though a rookie WR was going to come in in their first year and fix our offense you don't know anything about football. Receivers rarely have an impact as rookies. The draft is for building for the future, you're not going to draft first year starters with every pick.

xmscott likes this.
  3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

The best thing about the new board format is when someone starts a asinine thread or makes a dipshit post you can see all the like minded imbeciles who like the post without having to read every response.

Poeman likes this.
  4. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Keenan Allen was a third-rounder and had 1000+ yards and 8 TD's in not a full season last year.

5. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

He also had Phillip Rivers in a pass heavy offense, does that not matter at all?

6. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

And he's the exception. If you're expecting that kind of production out of a rookie, even a first rounder you're being unrealistic.

7. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

I'm wouldn't be shocked if DECKER failed to get 1000+ and 8 TD's in this offense with this QB. It's all about context. You can contribute and be ready to play and still not have the statistical production that other guys in pinball offenses have.

8. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

Rod Smith. Undrafted.
    Wes Welker. Undrafted.
    Jericho Cotchery.
    Cecil Shorts.
    Stevie Johnson
    TJ Houshmanzadah (spelling?)
    Joe Horn
    Colston
    Dwight Clark
    Steve Largent

#48 Dirty6Sanchez, May 10, 2014
    Last edited: May 10, 2014
    MaximusD163 likes this.
  9. southparkfanciz

Quote where I stated I expected the WR to make a significant impact in year one. Never. Stop trying to create hate just because the majority of people on here agree one one opinion you retard. I'm simply pissed that year after year after year we draft WR's in the late rounds, but our fans keep expecting them to turn into the HOF gems. Hasn't happened, and you can't expect it to happen. 1996. Last year we drafted a Pro Bowl WR. 1 Division title since. Number don't lie. Thanks for the random hate though, your anti-anxiety esteem on your sad life went up 2 points

10. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Yeah this is just about one of the most hateful posts I've seen in a while, so let's not throw stones in glass houses.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Anyone have the % of WRs per round that panned out? If the success rate drastically goes down in the later rounds, posting random examples of WRs drafted in the later rounds that were successful as an argument for not drafting a WR early is anecdotal and silly.

Royce Parker and southparkfanciz like this.
  12. southparkfanciz

Thank you for proving my point

13. southparkfanciz

Yo thank you. I was hoping somebody here had some statistically knowledge. It's sports. It's a stats game, and people on here clearly only care about recent stats.

14. Barcs

Barcs Banned

WR def matters, especially to a young QB who is still developing. Surrounding him with weapons is a good thing. Might as well give him the best chance to succeed.

15. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

I would have liked to have one of the big name WR's, but I agree that it's a great QB that makes his WRs better, not the other way around. Geno at this point is an average QB on a good day, so there's no need to get your knickers in a twist over not having fantastic receivers

16. Barcs

Barcs Banned

The way Idzik probably sees it is that 4th round WRs in this deep draft are more like 2-3 rounders in a normal draft. He got value out of the picks in the 4th. There's no gaurantee that Lee or any of the other guys aside from probably Watkins will become super stars. Yeah it would have been nice to have an early one but the #2 TE pick makes up for that IMO.

#56 Barcs, May 11, 2014
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
  17. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Recent SB champs:

2000 Ravens
    2001 Pats
    2002 Bucs
    2003 Pats
    2004 Pats
    2005 Steelers
    2006 Colts
    2007 Giants
    2008 Steelers
    2009 Saints
    2010 Packers
    2011 Giants
    2012 Ravens
    2013 Seahawks

Where are the WR dominated teams here? Even passing teams such as the Packers and the Saints had wideouts that were drafted in later rounds

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Unlike you, I despise the Jace Amaro pick. That said, I hope that he proves me wrong, both as a receiver and a blocker, because if he doesn't, I think our offense is still screwed. If he's not able or willing to block, then the rushing attack will suffer. It will also suffer if he isn't successful as a receiver. Opposing Ds will be able to stack 8-9 men in the box and dare Decker or maybe Ford to beat them long.

19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Good post. The Jets have so many options on Offense now it's like going from the s**house to the penthouse. Even with all the griping and speculations about our haul of players this catch won't be a miracle but a big boost. Remember, Woody Hayes used to say that there are 3 things that can happen when you throw the football and 2 of those results are not good lol. So if we pound away with Ivory, Powell and are other backs; swing a short pass to CJ you have 7-8 yards already. You run counter plays,power right, power left, if Boyd in a QB draw and he knocks some people down. You probably have between the 3 QBs Smith, Vick and Boyd lots to ground and pound ; pick up the first down with high percentage pass to Amaro, Becker, Kerley , Saunders etc. In short, a potentially world beating formula. If we keep moving the chains the other team gets tired. The point here is that a breakaway WR would be great but the intermediate graded personnel will do fine even if we did run,run,run. Run more, pass less : contrarian philosophy will still win games.

20. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

You keep changing your argument. First, there's no top receivers drafted late. Then it's that they are outliers. Now it's the QB. Look, I'm an old-time Darksider myself, so I understand where you're coming from. Just say that you expect things to flop and be done with it. You can't keep changing the parameters of your debate.