Welcome to the Jets, Dexter McDougle CB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, May 9, 2014.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

The overwhelming number of people that do it for a living say he would have been. Who knows but it seems rather silly for novices to say they are all wrong.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Those kids are going to start going fast. They could've had this mcdougle kid easily in the 4 or maybe 5 round. They aren't going to have a shot at all those kids.

3. Windeos

Windeos Member

How exactly do you know McDougle isn't one of the,"MANY very good players"?

Who gives a damn about what people on this board say. Do you honestly believe they are more informed on the draft than the paid scouts and front office people in the Jets draft room?

It blows my mind people being so convinced this pick was wrong just because CBS & media expects or whoever had McDougle graded a late round pick.

How does anyone know that McDougle wasn't given a 3rd round grade by other NFL teams picking after us?

Altoona likes this.
  4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The Jets pick fourth today, I don't think they'll be going that fast.

Sundayjack likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

We might as well not have any opinions then since we aren't as qualified as the jets front office. No need to question anything right?

tomdeb likes this.
  6. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I hope a receiver is the next pick.

7. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

The fact that they pick 4th today, meaning there was the shortest gap between picks in their entire draft, makes me think they knew they had to take McDougle where they did to have the best shot at him.

8. BrowningNagle

I hope so too, but I've been saying that consistently every round for years now haha

9. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Who would you like the Jets to take early today?

Herron and Bryant have the most potential of the remaining receivers. I think Janis and Abbrederis would be safer choices.

10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I hope we attempt to trade some of our tradable picks to get even another 4th today. We could reap a ton out of the 4th..there are still receivers, QBs worth taking and maybe some linemen as well.

11. BrowningNagle

I like Ellington and Abbrederis

12. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I can hear it now, Rex saying how he tuned into a game to check out a WR and saw this small kid just blowing them up, hitting everyone on the field. Heard it before. Not impressed by this pick, in round 5-6 maybe.

13. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Oh please. Do you really believe this is good value in the 3rd round? The jets could have drafted my mother and under your analysis that the jets scouts know all you would say it was a good pick.

14. Windeos

Windeos Member

People here are questioning why we took him in the 3rd as if the Jets draft room didn't fully think this pick through.

Do you not think with the Jets picking early in the 4th, that if they believed he would be on the board still in the 4th, that maybe, just maybe they would've waited to select him today?

It gets on my goat when people talk about this being a reach and we should've waited. Anything I have read and heard on this guy has been that the second his pro day ended, scouts, gm's and front office people were blowing up the phones talking about the kid. Mike Mayock talked about it when we selected him.

So why get frustrated at selected him in the 3rd?

The Jets obviously believed there was a good chance McDougle would be selected prior to any of our proceeding picks and therefore felt they needed to select him in the 3rd or else they would've left him to select sometime today.

15. Windeos

Windeos Member

My point is how do you know it's a bad pick?

16. joe

joe Well-Known Member

How about Robbie Wadlow?

Robert Pershing Wadlow, 8' 11"
    [​IMG]
    Robbie "Clouds" Wadlow
    Known for: Tailored suits, shut down corner, blocking PATs/FGs
    Home townAlton, Illinois
    Height8 ft 11.1 in (2.72 m)[2]
    Weight440 lb (200 kg)
    ParentsHarold "Silo" Wadlow
    Addie "Mancave" Johnson

MikeSLTJ23 and Cakes like this.
  17. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Gee, I hope I don't get a cavity from all the sugarcoating of this pick.

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I know I'm just watching highlights vids for this kid but he's got a great nose for the ball from what I am seeing. Plays with great leverage, tracks the ball really well in the air. And pure speed in all aspects: straight line, closing, quickness, change of direction.

His tackling pretty much sucks, but that is a technique that can be worked on.

I'm not sure how well he fits into the defense since from what I am reading, he hardly ever contests the receiver at the LOS, but I'm going to reserve judgment on the pick until I see what he can do after a season or two.

19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

If his shoulder's mended and I'm sure they kicked the tires before pulling the trigger, I'm down with this pick.

As for from this point on (rds 4-7): if only Martavis Bryant had Robert Herron's grit. Abbrederis' lanky frame is a concern. Fwiw, I'd take So. Car. Bruce Ellington with the 4th pick today and take a flyer on Jeff Janis with one of the four 6th round picks.

20. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Classic example of reaching for a need.

I don't buy that he was the BPA at that point.

Even if we was, you also need to be smart and cognizant of the general consensus of where the guy stands on other people's boards.

He was projected as a 6th rounder.

If you want to point to John Brown and say he was projected as a 7th rounder and went in the 3rd, OK.

I still disagree with taking him that high. Especially when you factor in the guy is made of glass and could not stay healthy mixing it up with college bodies an also broke his collarbone riding a scooter(?).