Welcome to the Jets Calvin Pryor

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, May 8, 2014.

1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

i agree regarding Pryor. Just hope he can get around that learning curve pretty quick.

Landry will be starting opposite him though. He was the most versatile and consistent player in our secondary last year.
    He can play either position, enabling flexibility to mask coverages. Can cover TE's, can support the run D, and can hit.
    Landry a little limited in his range playing centerfield, and would add more value playing SS (like he did when Reed came in).
    That's why i hope Pryor ready to play single high S from day 1.
    But no way Rex will start 4 guys with no substantial experience in his secondary. Landry will be out there manning 1 of the safety positions.

2. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

First of all, the two Giants teams had terrible safeties. Second, "every Super Bowl winning team" but one (Flacco) for the last decade also had "in the discussion" HOF caliber QBs.

Jets69 and TNJet like this.
  3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Sorry but, You totally and absolutely misinterpreted my post. Leap frogging the board meant Idzik's proprietary board not the draft board. It has nothing what so ever to do with moving up in the draft. Secondly, dead wrong meant the implication that Idzik violated his own bracket and ranking to appease Rex and his fetish for D as reported by many fans. Also erroneous. I'm sure Rex was in the loop and for all we know he was more than happy with it. But the implication that the selection was driven by Rex's desire to only draft D when they were better players on the board is nonsensical.
    Thirdly BPA has been discussed at nausea by many. There is no fetish, nor doesn't negate need, in fact that is part of the process that landed us such a great player.
    I fully concur with your point that with Pryor we absolutely drafted the best player available for this team, but that was not the point of my tread.

4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

You are correct. Harris is good but no Lewis.

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

BPA AT THE TIME? How does that not mean when the Jets picked?

Look if you are saying that's not what you meant, fine. I think I had good reasons to interpret what you said as I did , but I gotta leave soon anyway.

6. 74

74 Well-Known Member

to quote, CANT WAIT

7. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Still calling Coples Couples at this point should be a bannable offense.

Royce Parker, JetLifeLo and HAYN like this.
  8. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

The Jets would most likely end up like Cleveland doing that.

Jets69 likes this.
  9. Jets FTW!!

Jets FTW!! Member

Soooo rolle isn't a play making safety??? And also Russell Wilson isnt that good...he had an amazing defense...

10. Over & Out

Over & Out Active Member

defenses win championships. The Jets problem? They have no offense to score TDs. FGs ain`t gonna get you a championship no matter how great the D is. At least the D will keep the games close(hopefully). I just hope the D doesn`t get worn out late in the games because the O is inept at moving the chains and scoring.

TNJet likes this.
  11. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

If you define "playmaking" as "not making any big plays"? Sure. Otherwise, yes, he's not a playmaking safety.

12. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Everybody extoling this pick , if truth be known, loved the Gholston pick and the Sanchez pick and the Blair Thomas pick, and the .......... see the pattern? We needed offense and we chose defense. Homer the fuck out of it if you want too, but the fact still remains that our anemic offense hasn't been addressed via the draft. And don't spew that crap about Aboushi, King Ugly, Scotty McKnight, Shonn Greene etc. We, under Rex, have not targeted a skill position since Sanchez. It is maddening that we follow this Charlie Brown kicking the football while Lucy holds it mentality within this organization. Balance wins, not all D or all O.

Does anyone here believe that our Offense right now is equal to our Defense? I don't fault Rex on the draft because he is just going with what he knows, Defense. He is not HC material, and I was one of his biggest proponents until the harsh reality hit that he doesn't have the accumen to be a winner in this league as a HC. He is a DC just like his TWIN brother Rob. There is no shame in that. Where the fault lies is in the form of an owner only in name sake who knows nothing about football. Woody thinks that hanging out with Rex is cool.

If I rant , it is because I have not been presented evidence that this franchise has any fucking clue whatsoever that it knows what it is doing and possesses a direction to steer toward.

Other than that I hope we draft Jordan Matthews.

Over & Out likes this.
  13. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

you're going to have to show all the people who love this pick loved all those others, otherwise you come across as simply looking ridiculous in your exercise in strawman engineering. surely you can validate that claim.

secondly, we need offense and defense, not just offense. I don't know what team you watched last season, but the team I watched had some significant struggles in the secondary. unless of course you interpret having the 22nd ranked passing defense as somehow indicative of having a good defense.

just because we need help on the offense doesn't mean we do not on defense, and it is hard to argue that after signing the top FA receiver, and top FA running back that we shouldnt have targeted the top safety in the draft to address that need, which was as big a need as any deficiency on offense.

abyzmul likes this.
  14. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Is this fool gonna be rocking the Pryor III on the back of his jersey? Cuz if so, that shit is gonna look official when he is tearing peoples heads off.

15. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

this is such a horrible post

i dont even know how to address it because its just one long rant of unrelated premises and sweeping generalizations; but it seems to me as though you really devote a lot of time to a team that you hate

and you still, no matter how many times people try to correct you, have no idea what role the head coach plays in the draft

16. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Slept on it.. I don't hate this pick.. But I don't love it. Guy had trouble covering at Louisville. He's a big hitter, okay, cool, but can he cover?

17. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

couldnt agree more

i like allen and bush but they dont seem, to me at least, to play with that kind of fire that you really want in your safeties. laron landry provided that presense when he was here and now hopefully pryor can be the guy.

i really dont understand how anyone can not like this pick. we just grabbed our first round talent safety that is potentially going to be terrorizing offenses in rex's d for years to come

im really excited for next season just to see what this defense will look like. we might have some corner woes but i think the team is going to be really exciting to watch next season on potential alone.

18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Jets really needed some good prospect at safety spot for a while. This is not the front-seven pick I would have loved dearly, but is still a fantastic pick. Kudos.

19. Over & Out

Over & Out Active Member

yo, dude, 45 years and counting. Can you address that? You wanna talk about long rants of unrelated premises and sweeping generalizations? Homer Jets fans are the worst the organization can have as a following.

It ain`t easy being green, and we all know it but, when those who haven`t had it "easy" the last 4.5 decades display displeasure with whatever it may be, don`t criticize them for being honest in the way they feel.

I seriously doubt this team has any direction at this moment aside from being a defensive team. You need to attack the opposing teams and score some friggin touchdowns. You have so many people, just on this forum alone, knowing more than the people running the organization. Just remember this. The Jets have won NOTHING since 2002, which was the paltry AFC East Title, which the Patriots have OWNED for the last 15 years basically. How many AFC East Title "pennants" do they have hanging up in their "million+" dollar stadium compared to the Giants "BILLION+" dollar stadium>?

Yeah, I thought so too.

When do Jets fans say enough of the bullshit already and start fucking winning SOMETHING already?

Personally, I don`t really give a shit anymore. It would be nice to see the Jets win THEIR division every 3 or 4 years. Since 1968, or since the NFL/AFL mergered into 1 league, the Jets have only won the AFC East title 2x. I mean really now, 2x????? Thats it? When was the last time they actually hosted a playoff game? Was it vs Indy? How many years ago was that? The New York Pathetics is what they should call themselves until they prove otherwise.

20. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

oh i get it, because you feel like the team owes you, anybody that doesnt share that sentiment and can feel legitimate enthusiasm for an upcoming season must just be some moron homer that will take whatever they are given..

get over yourself