Welcome to the Jets Calvin Pryor

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, May 8, 2014.

1. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

None of the first 46 posts were by people pissed off about the first round pick. TGG record?

2. Barcs

Barcs Banned

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/126546/thumbs-up-thumbs-down-for-no-1s

Rating: THUMBS UP!

It's nice to see the Jets not get bashed for their pick for once!

3. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

He played some high safety in college. They moved him all over the place - this is the kind of flexible player Rex loves. I'd prefer to play Antonio Allen in the box and Pryor as the high safety rather than Dawan Landry at high safety and Pryor in the box. The jets had a problem with receivers going over the top and I'd like to have the receiver looking around for where Pryor is on those plays. Also, if you look at his replays, he was incredible at coming in from high safety on running plays, those were the plays that you saw the RB really get clocked on. He's also a ball hawk and you'd rather play a ball hawk at high safety. Also, Allen is better at strong safety because of his ability to cover TEs.

I think we'll be very happy with Pryor.

The 1985er likes this.
  4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I feel your pain, too, but entering the off season, as much as I am skeptical of Smith, which is a great deal, I could not bring myself to conclude he is virtually certain to not become a decent Qb. That being the case, the smart move was to bring in a quality vet who could buy the Jets some time to assess Smith and still be competitive, and use high picks elsewhere. After al this team entered the off season with lots of holes. Vick is a rough fit for that strategy, since his age and injury history make him unlikely to be even a medium term answer. But he does buy the Jets at least a year. If by next off season the Jets are not sold on Smith, they can pick a Qb in next year's draft, with a first round pick if indicated. Or maybe pick up a different vet who would be a medium term solution.

Now I know the con arguments on Vick, and am concerned about them. And I think Smith is more likely to fail than succeed. But I don't think the downside of the approach taken is all that significant.

5. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

solid rather than exciting selection - we got good value, we took arguably the BPA and it fit a major need - have to be happy with this - now for a TE/WR in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

If the Jets are even mediocre this year their first round pick next year will only buy them another Sanchez or Geno anyway..what's the point? Draft a QB every year until you step in shit like NE, Seattle and a bunch of other teams did.

#366 Don, May 9, 2014
    Last edited: May 9, 2014
    abyzmul likes this.
  7. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I think the Vick move was the best one available to them this offseason. But he's also only a 2 or 3 year stopgap at best. There's no reason not to go chase your longterm ProBowler in the meantime.

8. Unhappyjetsfan

This.

9. heartpumpsgreen

heartpumpsgreen Active Member

What's funny is that Idzik called Rex up after seeing Pryor play a game last season and said "Rex ...I just saw a player that you are going to love".

So much for this being a Rex Ryan pick ... I'm sure he was on board but I'm just saying to all those silly rabbits who think that Rex is still "in control" what a joke. The more I think about it the more I like this pick.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

10. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

You mean like how Seattle took 2 QBs in 8 years.

11. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

I don't think you can say the pick was anything other than BPA. 6 out of the 9 successive picks were defense and they were all positions that we could've taken if they were believed to be the better player, but they weren't. 1 of the offensive guys was a reach QB in Manziel, the second offensive pick was a retarded OL reach pick from Miami, and Idzik absolutely had to be scouring the ends of the Earth for a reason to talk himself into Cooks who was the 3rd offensive player. The fact that Idzik couldn't go for Cooks in that situation says a lot both about Cooks' shortcomings (pun) which will surely be well hidden after he landed in NO but easily might not have been at Met Life, and it also says a lot about how highly the team valued Pryor as a prospect himself.

Definitely the BPA in that spot, and after sleeping on it I'm actually really excited to see the damage that Rex plans to inflict now that he's got a wrecking ball with underrated ball skills patrolling the backfield.

12. Rictor33

Rictor33 Active Member

Ray Lewis?

13. Rictor33

Rictor33 Active Member

Even at age 50, Fred Couples can still hit.

14. Big Blocker

Before going on to a specific response, I find this kind of exchange frustrating. At least you acknowledge you may not have been clear before, but that makes me wonder what you thought you were posting. Here was from your post at 275 on this thread:

I will add one more misconception stated by some members after the pick. It was Rex and Company that selected him. Dead wrong. It was BPA all the way and Idzik and Company had him on top..and rightfully so. Rex might have loved Pryor, but if he wasn't BPA AT THE TIME there was no chance the GM would have leaped frog the board to make Rex happy.

You really don't see why I mentioned the trading up bit? What was the point of bolding and capitalizing AT THE TIME and then saying leap frog to make Rex happy??? As I said i don't know that Rex loves trading up in the draft.

As for Rex being unhappy, how else were we to interpret you saying that it was not Rex's decision, but Idzik's? How do you know Rex wasn't involved in the decision? There was certainly no basis for implying Rex wanted someone other than Pryor (Ftr he might well have, but we just don't know). Perhaps you did not mean to imply unhappiness, merely meant to say Idzik made the decision without Rex's agreement. But you don't know that.

I also don't get this fetish some have here for saying BPA all the way. Why does that get your serotinin going? Your own post here as opposed to 275 acknowledges need. What's wrong with saying the Jets got the best player who would fit a need on the team?

15. Big Blocker

Smith was a second round pick and fell there for a reason. On top of that he underperformed his draft status. Sanchez was arguably the worst draft pick ever by the Jets. Odds are a first round pick, even a mid level one, would be better than both.

16. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

Yeah but he has lost a little bit too much in his long game, it really failed him on Saturday and Sunday at the Masters when he needed to come up with some birdies to truly threaten rather than pars.

17. Big Blocker

I think I offered the best explanation already. I can see saying there might still have been a reason to go Qb with the first pick in the draft, but to say there was no reason not to is imo just plain silly.

18. Jets FTW!!

Jets FTW!! Member

Just an FYI...every Super Bowl winning team for atleast the last 10 years had a play making saftey...try and name one who didn't ;) lol

19. Jets FTW!!

Jets FTW!! Member

So clearly safety's win championships not qbs

20. Unhappyjetsfan

Well, assuming ...

1. Our team will have a similar or better record over the next two or three years, and
    2. We're not going to trade our entire draft for the first pick in the draft over this period of time, and
    3. Another QB who was the consensus #1 overall pick for 2-3 years is going to have a bad pro-day and drop 20 slots ...

... I don't see how we're going to be in the position we were in last night, again, in the next three years.