Case for drafting secondary early

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenBlues, Apr 21, 2014.

1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Every time we draft a CB in the first round it makes me dislike Rex Ryan a little bit more. The offense doing well could help to curb that but it never happens.

We shouldn't need every CB on the field to be a first round pick. There are other positions in football. I know that everyone is aware of that - just venting.

2. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

if i can add to a previous post, I think i can sum up my feelings on drafting a corner like this:

If the point of selecting a corner early is to provide a young talent to develop opposite our other young corner Milliner over the next few years when all other options during this years draft seem worse or marginally better for another position at best, than thats a good reason to pick that corner.

If the point of selecting a corner early is to fill a gap for the 2014 season in some reaction to the top passing offenses the team will be playing come early fall, thats not only not a good reason to pick a CB (drafting for current need... that'll work out well), its a counterintuitive move seeing as how that rookie corner won't likely be good enough at first to make much of a difference vs those established passing games anyhow.

Is Milliner-Dennard or Miliner-Gilbert gonna be that much better at stopping the Packers,Lions,Bears and Broncos passing game this season than Milliner-Walls/Patterson? I don't think so.

The POTENTIAL of being better down the road is there though. A move like that should in theory lock up our future at CB and thats a thing worth having. it just can't be about THIS YEAR though, anybody who thinks drafting CB is an answer to the NFC North's WR's and such is thoroughly overestimating what they'll be able to do out the gate.

in other words, Draft a Corner for upside, not instant impact.

Royce Parker and The 1985er like this.
  3. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

You know it's going to happen, right? All we want is ONE offensive weapon, a dynamic WR, a big athletic pass catching TE, but you know he's going CB :D

_

4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

In the context of this year's draft the Jets could easily take a CB rd 1 and still get their playmaker rd 2. There should be a LOT of quality WRs available after the first round.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Not everyone is aware of this. That Blocker guy doesn't seem to see this. I was a big Rex Ryan defender, I really want him here - but it's really going to bother me if we select a CB in the 1st round for 3rd yr.

6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

In 2013 passes resulted in 66.2% of all NFL offensive touchdowns while rushing TDs were 33.7%. The Jets allowed 73% of opponent's offensive TDs by passing vs. 27% by rushing. Recognizing the quality of the Jets lineplay, if this is not a clear indictment of the secondary someone's not paying attention.

7. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

The thing is if we don't take a CB in the first 2 rounds the talent really thins out in the later rounds, WR on the other hand actually has some guys in the 3rd and 4th that can be legitimate starters.

8. heartpumpsgreen

heartpumpsgreen Active Member

But Idzik is the trigger guy right? On draft night. You guys wanna throw roses at his feet when it's a pick u love in hindsight (s.Richardson) and blame Rex when it's a pick you don't like LMAO. Ohhh and as for Sheldon Richardson, a bunch of u came on here immediately post draft and blasted Rex for drafting defense saying oh we see who is still in control, but when he turned out to be a stud it was all Idzik.

So let me get this straight .... If the Jets draft a CB tonight it's all Rexs fault and you will be Pissed? But if it's a dynamic WR than Idzik is the man? This makes absolutely no sense thank u very much. Jets fans are so comical. I love it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

9. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The problem with this post is obvious. "down the road" you imply is 15, 16 and later. Immediate impact? I think most would view that as meaning opening day.

So, you seem to be saying a rookie Cb who will not be totally up to speed on opening day will only get better "down the road".

Let's look at Milliner's season. Milliner in fact had some health issues through last summer. It should be clear these hampered him early in the regular season. It was not ALL that hampered him, but it did some.

As the season progressed, however, he dramatically improved.

So let's say the Jets had made the playoffs last year. Let's say we turn the clock back, and pretend it's the week before the wild card game. How do we feel about Miliner being a rookie "now"? Are we concerned about "immediate impact" all the way back on opening day? No.

In short your premise that a rookie Cb cannot contribute in his first year is wrong. And with a top pick at Cb, as Milliner showed, yes there can be some rough spots early on. But the improvement that comes "down the road" can be during the rookie season, as it was for Milliner.

Again I see this team as potentially a playoff team. The draft as others have pointed out is deep in wideouts. The Jets have more talent at wideout right now. I can understand if they go wideout in the first round, particularly if Dennard is already picked before 18. But optimally the Jets go Cb in the first round, and pick up a wideout in the second. Then they will have taken an approach which maximizes the likelihood they will have filled the holes at starter, and positioned themselvse for a playoff run.

10. Big Blocker

Where we stand today is not Rex's fault, as far as I can tell. Who decided to cut Cromartie, and then not get a replacement in FA? Hm. I suppose Rex might have had input on the cut, although I frankly doubt it. But anyone who blames him for failing to fill that spot in FA is full of it.

The Jets would not be picking a Cb in round one if Cromartie was still here or had been replaced in FA. So if they DO fill a hole in their starting lineup by going Cb in the draft, what is the relevance of prior drafts? None. The relevant context is mismanagement of the CB position in FA this year.

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Trade for a corner and draft a receiver..revisit it next year when there won't be so many potentially great receivers out there.

12. 101GangGreen101

No-where did I say, it would be Rex Ryan's fault. If the CB is selected in the first round, I won't be happy about it but hey what can I do? If we miss out on a good receiver, the blame should be placed on everyone. I think if the CB is selected in the first, the influence is definitely there and that influence is strong. I always looked at Rex as an innovator, a coach that can take pieces and make it work on defense. For him to prioritize CB so much really makes me question if Rex is the person he says he is. He should be able to make chicken out of chicken shit in at least one position on defense. I hope Idzik is smart and thinks that hey, we need to improve other positions on defense too.

I had no issue actually with the Richardson pick - big fan of the trenches. The Milliner pick REALLY bothered me though, but I am glad he is improving. Not a huge fan of Alabama prospects because they come into the NFL beat up.

13. Big Blocker

The other consideration here is that while Wilson was a first round pick, he has not been playing like one. If Wilson were playing up to his draft status, no one here would be talking about drafting a Cb this year.

And the fact that they used a first round pick to get Revis is also irrelevant. He is no longer on the team.

14. 101GangGreen101

You have to wonder if Cromartie ever really listened to Rex because Cromartie never really improved his technique. If he did, he would still be a Jet. Now he's 30 with a questionable hip and diminished athleticism.

I think they fill the "hole" by giving one of the younger guys like Wall the opportunity to start. He did it with Antonio Allen, why not Walls?

The 1985er likes this.
  15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Neither has Milliner.

16. Big Blocker

You have obvious problems with the English language.

Here is what you said that led to the disagreement:

"I was a big Rex Ryan defender, I really want him here - but it's really going to bother me if we select a CB in the 1st round for 3rd yr."

The only way to interpret the meaning of the word "but" in that sentence is that you are going to be bothered, are not going to be happy with Rex, no longer a defender (see "was"), if the Jets draft Cb in the first round.

17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

There's more than one way to play pass defense. Rex is supposed to be a defensive genius he should be able to get it done without a first round pick at every CB position. No other team requires first rounders at every CB slot BTW.

When you keep putting your CB's on an island and it's obvious they cannot handle that responsibility it isn't their fault anymore.

18. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

Every position if fare game 1st round other then DL and RB........any other position needs help for the most part.....still want cooks but if not o well

19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Wilson is a very good nickel back for us. Probably one of the better ones in the NFL.

20. 101GangGreen101

Does that say, "I blame Rex Ryan and only Rex Ryan."

No, it doesn't. Learn to comprehend. It would confirm what I thought was wrong and that was Ryan's pull in the draft with the new GM. I explained my thought on that in my other post.

If we get a CB and our secondary still sucks, I'll be looking right at Idzik because he turned in the card.