Klecko Buries Coples

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Altoona, May 2, 2014.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

He also shit on Wilkerson:.

"I think there's a few too many plays he gives up on a little bit," Klecko said. "You know, he's big enough to hunt bear with a switch, there's no doubt. He's an unbelievable talent, but he has to put it out there every single play. Now, sure, everybody is going to say, 'Yeah, he does.' No, he doesn't, I'm telling you right now. He needs to put it out there every single play. Now, (Sheldon) Richardson does that."

I think he is so wrong it's not even funny.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Kind of have to wonder if he's trying to get his name out there and force writers to analyze his film from the 80s. A smart way to do that is to trash current Jets players that are headed toward huge careers.

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The little side comment about Holmes was very telling.

4. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I have to say I disagree with him and it kind of seems like he's just trying to either get attention for himself or at least not have people compare these new players to him and his career. Hopefully he's trying to light a fire under them but as he's not really working for the Jets I don't see why that would be his motivation.

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

...or maybe he's right on.

When Coples gets 20 sacks in a season, he can tell Klecko to fuck off.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Klecko was one of those players who never saw a pile he didn't want to be on the bottom of fighting for the ball. He had the best motor I have ever seen. To give you young guys an idea of what he was like as a player the most similar play style going right now is J.J. Watt. Nonstop almost animal intensity that just overwhelmed offensive lines at times.

It's hard for a player of that ability and drive to look objectively on other people's play because the other guy is always going to seem like they're slacking by comparison.

Spike_D, Brook!, alleycat9 and 3 others like this.
  7. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I agree with Klecko on Wilkerson. Wilkerson was not a 1st team all-pro because he did not make an impact in several games. Quinn and Watt and some other ends and tackles went harder more often. Wilkerson has a chance to be a 1st team guy if he plays as hard as Klecko did.

alleycat9 likes this.
  8. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I'm expecting Coples to have a breakout season

9. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

The article made it sound like he was ripping the whole d-line, but that was not the case. It was a good read actually. Unfortunately, the TGG app doesn't even work anymore, minus the news articles...which I still look at every day.

PS. He gave some good props to Sheldon too.

10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Klecko is my all time favorite Jet player. He has more insight than anyone who's ever posted on TGG, and probably more than anyone alive. If Joe says Coples plays like Jane, then Coples plays like Jane.

The 'only' asterisk I give his comments is he HATED Gastineau, who played the same position as Coples.

But seriously, if you combined the toughness of Mangold plus the killer instinct of Lawrence Taylor you might come close to Klecko. He was that good, and I respect his opinion.

Coples must go.

11. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Not Coples fault--The guy is a DE (or as BradSux says a DT) who weighs 290 lbs who Rex plays out of position at outside LB. I get it, Rex plays him at OLB because they have no room at DE/DT. Coples couldn't cover a TE or RB and the opposition knows it. As I posted in the DRAFT section, the jets should trade Coples NOW while he still has some value (2nd rounder?) or return him to his natural place on the DL. Only Rex is stupid enough to pound square pegs into rounds holes and then try to convince the planet he's right (290 LB linebacker) and the rest of the NFL is wrong. Yes, I saw the New Orleans game where Coples tackled the backup TE for the Saints on a reverse (the guy ran right into Coples). Other than that play, I didn't see much potential last year for Coples at OLB.

12. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

he is COMPLETELY right, except I think Klecko doesn'i realize or refuses to admit that Wilkerson's intensity, while not lights out, is better than Industry Standard these days.

Br4d likes this.
  13. Falco21

I agree with you here to an extent. I do think that Klecko was an absolute monster, but that doesn't always translate to his knowledge of evaluating players. I don't see what he sees and when you have multitudes of scouts, analysts, and ex players praising everything about Wilkerson, it makes you wonder about Klecko's views. I think he is doing this to get his name in the media. Often times you find ex players bash newer players in order to have some relevance again. I think that is where he is going with this.

His argument about Coples is valid but Wilkerson? No way man. I just don't see it.

Again, this is all just my opinion.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I was actually listening to that today.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Didn't see that. ??

16. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Its not a matter of effort, its a matter of getting doubled up because he was one of our lone threats on opposing passing downs. With Richardson and Harrison being non factors as far as applying pressure goes(I love both guys), the guy who benefited off of Mo Wilk being the guy opposing teams tried to take out was Pace who had a double digit sack season. Coples came off losing a month to start the year in addition to transitioning to a new position so I give him the benefit of the doubt last year if his numbers didn't jump out. Coples biggest knack coming out of UNC Was his motor which was my lone fear with him as a prospect. That still remains to be seen but I don't think he plays like "Jane" or a "Girl" in other words. If anything his conditioning can still use work so he doesn't have "The Body of Tarzan". That might be why his motor doesn't always look 110%. Year 1 that was his knock with us which is why Rex threw him out for a ton of plays the final preseason game vs Philly, even if Coples thought he didn't need it.

This is a pure make or break year for Coples though unless he gets sidelined with an injury as far as seeing if he can be a "Superstar" at his position or if he's just an "Ordinary" player.

Its why people want a pass rushing OLB taken maybe in Day 2 of this draft. We need 1 more pass rusher to really take the slack off Coples and Wilkerson and Pace. Unless you want to bank on Barnes being the answer coming off a torn ACL, which is risky. Or we can hope Richardson AND Harrison develop some pass rushing skills at a consistent basis.

17. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

He is 100% correct that Wilkerson "gives up" on plays. I had this confirmed for my self during my rewatch of the season over last couple months.
    Wilkerson him self even said it with out saying it in one of his interviews. He has had stamina issues the last 2 seasons and you can see come the
    3rd qtr (on offensively shitty games) and 4th qtr he is so tired and does give up on more then a few plays.

If i had read this post before watching the season over i would have said the same thing as you 100%.

Wilkerson had made a few comments that he was taking a little time off to relax that he would normally have spent
    preparing for the season in order to aid in his stamina during the season. Hopefully this will correct or at least aid
    him in playing stronger threw out the game and season.

18. Falco21

I wasn't aware of this. I might have to go back and watch. As of right now, I don't agree with it, but that could all change if I rematch the tape

19. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

klecko is right on Coples, he's been anything but special, granted he was adjusting to a new position, an coming off a injury, he's got a lot to prove this season