Current New York Jets Roster

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DoubleDecker87, Mar 12, 2014.

1. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

We are definitely due for a diamond in the rough. I guess the closest thing we had was Woodhead but we wouldn't have used him right anyway. A lot of people seem to be high on Miles and Sudfeld.

2. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Damon Harrison is one helluva diamond in the rough. We signed him as an undrafted rookie free agent.

3. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

And he's a RFA, heres hoping that no team signs him to an unwieldy contract Idzik won't match.

4. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

No he isn't. Not this year anyway.

5. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

6. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Who cares if they give a crazy contract I like Damon but his pass rushing skills are overrated at best.

7. Dax89

Dax89 Active Member

Kerley in the 5th wasn't too shabby either.

8. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

He is a NT in a primarily 3-4 defense. His main job is to take up blockers and push the pocket, both of which he does very well.

9. OverloadBlitz

Absolutely, he is a great run stuffer but that's it, at this point he is a one way player and should not command top money.

10. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Huh? How did you get "he's a one way player" from what I wrote. In a 3-4 defense the NT is there to take up blockers and push/collapse the pocket. This forces the QB out of pocket into rushing linebackers, safeties, etc. What "passrushing skills" are you referring to? Sacks? Sacks don't really mean much when evaluating a 3-4 NT, or any NT really. Harrison collapses the pocket on a routine basis and makes the QB uncomfortable, that's his job. He definitely has room to improve, but the guy is very impressive and has a ton of talent/upside.

Evaluating him in terms of "passrushing skills" or as a "run stuffer" is oversimplifying what he does.

#70 dabrowsk1, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  11. OverloadBlitz

I know exactly what Harrison does so no need to give out lessons on what a NT does, my point is Harrison's impact on the game does not justify a large contract.

12. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Harrison is a stud no doubt. We got one of the best D-lines in football. I just wish we could find that offensive gem that's a game breaker.

13. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

You very clearly dont understand what a 3-4 NT does if you're complaining about his pass rushing skills.

14. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

I don't agree. If you watch the DL during a game, Harrison is dominant. And there is no better place to spend money then in the trenches. If you don't think giving a large contract to a young dominant NT like Harrison is worth it, I suggest you speak to a Partiots fan about Wilfork.

15. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Do you know how hard it is to find stud NT's?

16. OverloadBlitz

Sure he is very dominant against the run nobody is disputing that but he's nowhere near as disruptive as Wilfork on a passing down. It would all come back to how much Harrison wants, not everyone can be paid especially when we have Wilkerson and Sheldon to worry about as well.

17. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Once again I don't agree. The NT is the lynch pin in a 3-4 Defense, and in Ryan's hybrid defense. Without the NT it all falls apart, period. Harrison taking blockers and collapsing the pocket is what allows Wilkerson and Sheldon to do their thing. He is a RFA next year, I guarantee he is getting a first round tender slapped on him. I would not mind at all if all 3 received large contracts. You get no better value then spending money on the trenches. DLinemen's careers can last over a decade on a dominant level, once again look at Wilfork.

And you keep saying things like "dominant against the run" and " on a passing down" as if it means anything when evaluating a NT. And the fact you keep repeating it tells me you don't really understand what you are saying. The job of the NT is to collapse the pocket, period. Whether on a passing or run down is doesn't matter. It's not like on a "passing down" he is being asked to shoot the gap or come off the edge. If in the course of collapsing the pocket, he can get his hands on the QB or get his hands up into the QB's face that's great. But it isn't his job. What are you evaluating the discrepency on? Sacks? Pressures? How many times he raises his hand?

18. OverloadBlitz

You truly are missing the point, Harrison does not play every down for us why in the world would you shell out a huge contract for him when we have to pay Wilkerson(every down linemen) and Sheldon in a few years(every down linemen). Harrison is a luxury for us and if he gets too pricey I guarantee you we trade him.

19. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

its funny but it does seem that NT/DT position always attracts these diamonds in the rough. seen a few of these guys over the years besides harrison (ratliff and randle come to mind)

20. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Are you joking? In what world is the NT a luxury in a 3-4 defense, or a Rex defense? Dominant NTs are extremenly difficult to find. Harrison was the starting NT last year and he is only getting better. Ellis only came in to give him a breather or when Ryan wanted 4 DL on the field. You are insane if you think any of the 3 are even getting close to leaving.

LIJetsFan likes this.