Case for drafting secondary early

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenBlues, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I doubt Smith develops into even an average Qb, but the logic of the current situation argues against going high pick at Qb. First of all they have Vick, so there's that. But it is not a sure thing that Smith will fail, not at all. That being the case it makes more sense this year to fill other holes on the team. If next off season the Jets have a better idea what they have in Smith, they should proceed accordingly.

But this yera it does not make sense to go high pick at Qb, unless of course a real hot prospect falls to them.

2. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I think a very simple case can be made to draft secondary high.

Its among the Jets top needs, and there some good CB's that will be available in the first and second round.

What more is needed?

3. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

another shot at IDZIK. Can't some people learn to understand that IDZIK will not overspend. Why should he? QUIETLY he has an excellent receiver. a very capable QB and a great RB but all the naysayers can do is bellyache. I wonder if IDZIK feels that WALLS or Patterson can do the job?I am sure that our resident pundits have the answer.

4. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

What makes you say you don't think Geno will develop into even an average QB?
    It was the kids rookie season and he had no offensive weapons at his disposal. Can't we at least wait and see what year 2 with an improved offense brings before writing this kid off?

Kentucky Jet likes this.
  5. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

Id love to know how you came about your opinion that GENO will not even develop into an average QB. Seems to me that with the lack of talent and experience he had last season, he had us one game away from the playoffs. I think its far too soon to "know what he will be in the future"!

6. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

That would be nice, but I don't have that much trust in our draft people. Most of the impact players we have drafted as of late have come in the early rounds, and this is probably true for most NFL teams. However, I don't agree that we failed to build our secondary with first round picks, in fact, I think historically Jets have been very good in terms of picking secondary players in the first round. It is only the Kyle Wilson fiasco that seems to skew the picture. Other than him, we picked Aaron Glenn in the first round, who went on to have an amazing career with us, Revis, who went on to become arguably the greatest CB ever in his prime, and Milliner, who, if he can build on his late season success, could be a very nice pick. So if anything, D-Line and CBs are the two places I feel the most comfortable with us picking in the first round, given our historic success. Positions like WR and TE, on the other hand, we really seem to struggle with (Keyshawn, Santana Moss, Kyle Brady, Anthony Becht, Dustin Keller, none of these seem worthy of the place they were picked).

Yeah, doubt it will happen, but if Bridgewater is available by our pick, I don't envy Idzik and Ryan, quarterbacks change everything. Btw, I would love it if the Jets drafted a prospect QB in mid rounds, just in case Geno doesn't work out (and Vick is not really a long term solution).

7. Dax89

Dax89 Active Member

All those pics were under a different GM, and only Keller was picked with Rex as HC (incoming HC at that), so the relative success rates of those pics are irrelevant. The only bust at WR we've picked has been Hill, while Kerley has been a diamond in the rough.

With the limited number of draft picks we've had outside of last year, most positions don't have enough information to say whether or not we've had success drafting certain positions.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Is there anything that makes you feel good about the Jets future?

Going to go with no.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You have a real tendency to go to absolutes.

"If the Jets pass on Bridgewater they'll be terrible..."

"If Idzik passes on Bridgewater he'll be a laughingstock and possibly never work as a GM again..."

Just a quick reality check for you, the world does not revolve around your opinion and if the Jets do things you do not personally agree with it doesn't mean they will be disintegrated into little tiny itty bits for failing to see the wisdom in your point of view.

I'm just pointing this out because you do this over and over again.

10. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

99% of fans don't have a real clue as to the depth of a draft, and I'll gladly include myself in that. I know the names, I watch college football, but it's not like I study tape. Actually, I think 99% might be low. Regardless, every draft is deep only because the talking heads need something to talk about and the networks need people to watch. You'll never catch any of them saying, "This draft sucks...I wish I was golfing instead." Though I'm sure there are years where they might be thinking that.

11. Big Blocker

I didn't write him off.

12. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Your quote was "I can't see Geno even being an average QB", how is that not writing him off?

Kentucky Jet likes this.
  13. Big Blocker

Of course there are.

I like the DL rotation very much, and I think it more likely than not that Milliner will justify his draft status. He showed real development. I also like what we saw in Allen, and remain hopeful that Coples will be effective making the transition. On O I am not sure what you mean by "future", but right now I count myself as a big Ivory fan. Hope he avoids injury, which he has had issues with, but if he does I expect him to be very productive, especially getting spelled by Johnson. Johnson I don't think is a huge upgrade as an RB except he gives the Jets O more options with short passes. which is a very good thing. My second favorite skill player on O is Kerley, who I expect good things to continue with. I also like the Decker signing not just for the short but also the medium term. The kickers rarely get mentioned here, but they are above average. Perhaps the main thing that makes me feel good about the future is that Marty is a great combo, finally, with Rex. I expect him to contribute even more this year than the great work he did last year. Vick and the future is a problematic combo, but in the near term future I expect him to be productive as the starter.

14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Talk about an extreme opinion, this makes it to über extreme!! Please ,let's throw the baby out with the bath water lol! Let me ask you something ,who felt like a laughingstock after their pro day Bridgewater or Idzik? As posters here have reminded me, one guy eg CJ or Vick doesn't make your season and the latter players are known commodities. So Bridgewater is our savior and if we don't get him it's Idzik's cross to bare? Are you kidding..let's fire JI on the spot lol. Idzik will have more successes than failures In truth, TB is overrated and Idzik has improved as the GM by retooling our dead offense.

#114 NYJetsO12, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  15. Big Blocker

Where did you quote that from? I said I doubted he would become an average Qb, but went on in the same post (101 on this thread) to say it is not a sure thing. I have been saying this for months.

16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Agree with all your posts. GJ

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

There's something to be ashamed of...

18. 101GangGreen101

This is the most positive post, I've ever seen you make. Kudos, I guess you aren't a complete dark-sider after all.

19. Big Blocker

Perhaps you have not been paying attention that much. I don't consider myself a darksider. Except I am increasingly doubtful about what the net effect of having Woody as an owner. I am afraid that feeds into other things over time. Other than that I think I view things down the middle for the most part. This off season I cannot make sense of the situation at Cb, so that makes me sound negative, but I liked the Decker signing, liked both the Johnson and Vick signings more than not, and like I said I expect an even better year of Marty working with Rex.

20. 101GangGreen101

I think Woody learned his lesson in 2012, with Tebow. It's been 2 seasons without a clown like acquisition. Hopefully he takes a page from Dolan's book and lets Idzik make all of the decisions.

Of course what I am saying is opinionated, but I hope I am right.