What Would The Jets Have To Do To Make You Abandon Them

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GrifinMil, Mar 30, 2014.

1. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

I gave up baseball when the Dodgers moved to LA. But I still have a soft spot for them. I gave up the Rangers when the Islanders were formed and saw the Stanley Cup games, but quit going when I couldn't afford the ticket prices. My first football team was Philadelphia because I'd never root for the Giants.
    The Titans and then the JETS. Started in Shea,went to Jersey. Gave up the seats when I retired to Las Vegas. Still came back to see them play and did a bunch of away games. Now in Florida and can't wait to see them beat up on the Fins this year.
    Green blood and nothing will change that!!!!

"We have finally succeeded in creating a bureaucracy of savvy Politicians,
    who live better than the rest of our population, and do nothing but pass
    laws to take money away from our people."
    ~Sallust, Roman Governor of Numidia 49 B.C. ~

2. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

Sports is business, but the Jets made a business decision to sign a ~30 year lease on MetLife Stadium that's got about 26 years left on it. The Jets aren't going anywhere during the lease.

The Dodgers and Giants left in the late 1950s because they were struggling to be profitable, and meanwhile California had tons of people and no MLB teams, so they moved there. With the NFL though, the main source of revenue is shared, so there's less of a reason to move if you're the second fiddle.

It's not inevitable that the Jets will always be the inferior franchise. I'm pretty sure the Jets were more popular than the Giants during the Namath era, whereas I think the Yankees have basically always been the most popular baseball team, and were always more successful than the Dodgers and Giants.

The football Giants didn't really take off until the 80s, and although in the Coughlin era they won 2 Super Bowls, I don't think most people would consider this to be a dynasty the way the Parcells Giants were. The Coughlin SB wins were both ones where they were kind of lucky to even make the playoffs, and then put together an incredible run.

As for the relative values of the teams, Forbes ranks the Jets #6, at $1.38 billion; and the Giants are #4, at $1.55 billion. In baseball, Forbes ranks the Yankees at #1, $2.5 billion; and the Mets are #9 at $800m.

The Yankees are worth more than 3 times as much as the Mets, and have 27 World Series wins versus 2 for the Mets.
    The Giants are worth about 10% more than the Jets, and have 4 Super Bowl wins versus 1 for the Jets.

Baseball wise, if I had to guesstimate the relative importance/value/popularity of the teams it's Yankees 90%, Mets 10%. Football wise, I'd say it's more like Giants 55%, Jets 45%. The Jets could catch up in a decade, whereas nobody thinks the Mets can ever catch up (at least not in this century.)

3. LockDown

LockDown Member

leaving the NY/NJ area (out of the northeast) and changing their name would do it for me.

4. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

Anyone thart abandoned there team isn't a real fan

5. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

They absolutely were not. Even after the Jets won SBIII, people thought it was a fluke. The AFL was solidified to an extent when the Chiefs won SB IV. At that point it was already agreed to merge leagues. Don't fool yourself. The Jets have never been on par with the Giants in NY.

Kentucky Jet likes this.
  6. BamaJet

BamaJet New Member

This is an interesting topic for sure. The relocation/name change idea is one that I could never imagine. If that happened, I guess I would look at it as if the team merely ceased to exist. Whether or not I adopted the 'new' team as my favorite would depend on a lot of variables. Such as why the team moved, where it moved to, and whether or not it effected the team's current hated rivalries. Considering the fact that I'm not from New York, never been to New York, or know anyone who lives in New York, it somewhat surprises me that such a move would bother me as much as I know it would. I hated the idea of the Jets playing in Giants Stadium when that first happened and it being in New Jersey made it all the worse. It even ticked me off when the Tennessee franchise chose 'Titans' as their new team name years ago and probably plays a role in my continued disdain for them despite Nashville being just down the road. (When the Titans first opened their Nashville stadium, I lived 15 minutes away from it) Maybe if the Jets packed up and moved to Birmingham.....the Birmingham Jets.....nah, scratch that. ;-)

7. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

Maybe win a Super Bowl because if that happened, are they really the Jets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Dreadmadseen

Dreadmadseen Active Member

Move the team to LA!!!!

9. Dreadmadseen

Dreadmadseen Active Member

Obviously not. Your still here.

10. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I would never abandon them. They could relocate and I'll still be a fan. I don't only like NY/NJ teams.

Kentucky Jet likes this.
  11. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

I also gave up my beloved Brooklyn Dodgers BUT I still miss them being in Brooklyn. Why a stadium could not be built where the Nets now play still sickens me. I hope that TRUMP gets the desire to buy the Bums and move 'em back where they belong! lol O'Malley in my opinion is still a sob! Coney Island could be a great location for an all-weather domed stadium! The Cyclones could share it with OUR Dodgers!

I still love their colors and uniform more then any!

12. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

JERSEY JETS would really get me upset!

13. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

What about all those LIers who discarded there ST when the NYJs move from Queens to NJ to play FB?

14. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

When I lived in FL I was only 50 miles or so from Vero Beach where they used to train & I never/ever went to one of there grapefruit league games. I would 2nd U opinion on Trump for both the bums & the Jets cause Woody is just as bad a owner as Hess was:mad:

#74 championjets69, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  15. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

If they moved out of New York that would crush me... I am proud to be from New York and rep the Jets as my team...

16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

After all these decades, probably nothing. I've learned how to deal with this team. Just look at the results and skip all the bullshit in between. This owner loves the limelight and his team on the back pages for any reason whatsoever. I just SMH at what Rex says these days and whatever Idzik has in mind, we won't see it for a few years yet so why get all upset over anything this team does until it actually results in tangible improvement?

I got other things to worry about than what Woody or Idzik or Rex say or do. Only the new fans sweat the bullshit.

17. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

if fans are bolting b/c of Michael Vick then let them leave. That just means they are idiots. w/ all the lowlife players across the league including some that have been Jets to abandon the team over a man that served his time and appears to have changed is asinine. I hate what Vick did but I was fine w/ Philly signing him a few years ago, he did his time and he has moved on. I wish we kept Mark over Vick but it had nothing to do w/ what Vick did in the past.

18. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

I see; I wasn't around back then so I didn't really know. I know that the Giants were very bad from 1963 to 1979 and only had 2 winning seasons in that era, so I figured it was possible that the Jets could have been on top.

But the AFL was considered the junior league, even though they drafted players from the same pool. The Jets were this new team that had recently changed their name/colors/owners, meanwhile the Giants had been around for 30 or 40 years and won 4 championships in the pre-Super Bowl era (but today people only care about or count Super Bowls.)

If the Jets win a SB, they will be half way caught up to the Giants, and it would be a much bigger deal in the media IMO than when the Giants won.

Anyway, the Jets aren't moving anywhere.

19. Over & Out

Over & Out Active Member

say this to Baltimore Colts fans.

Some of you guys think it will never happen. Never say never because in this day & age, the NFL will, and can do whatever they feel is right for the league. They desperately want an LA team just for the tv money alone. The NY Jets would be the best team for that city. The Los Angeles Jets would establish an entirely new fan base out there. I`m sure Woody can sell his half of Metlife to the Giants, who were the ones that wanted that debacle in the first place, and the NFL would surely give Woody huge incentives to move out there. Hell, the NFL might even help Woody pay the Giants to take his half. So never say never. It can happen and I believe eventually will. The Jets are just too high priced here now. Lots of longtime fans have jumped ship and I seriously doubt the rich people who bought their way in now through ridiculous PSLs may not be as patient as the regular Joe is.

20. Over & Out

Over & Out Active Member

as far as what would it take for me to abandon the Jets. Already took place. They bent over for the Giants to ram it in further than ever before by basically forcing the Jets to pay for half of the Metlife cost. The stadium is the worst 1.6 billion stadium ever built in the history of mankind. That was it for me. Why didn`t Woody just say no to sharing a new stadium with the Giants? He could`ve simply told NJ that he would continue to lease the old stadium. That certainly would`ve thrown a wrench into the Giants plans of building a new stadium. Just a simple no would`ve been the answer. Well it is what it is now and it isn`t for me anymore.