Who should Start Vick or Smith?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gustoonarmy, Mar 22, 2014.

?

Who should Start Vick or Smith?

1. Smith

73 vote(s)
    67.0%
  2. Vick

31 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. Someone else (who?)

5 vote(s)
    4.6%
  1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Vick is probably now past his prime, Smith's is yet to come. If they are close in training camp, like a B+ for Vick and a B- for Smith, I'd want to go with Smith.

2. Mr. Green Pants

New York sports media is unreal. Adam Schein criticizes Jets for "creating a quarterback controversy before April 1st." Says team should just name Geno as the starter. Can't roll my eyes enough at that shit.

3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I'm glad that Vick said this was Geno's team and Geno's job when asked by reporters today. Smart, mature answer. Like I said Vick is a great stopgap backup QB if Geno struggles in the first half of the year. However Geno needs to start this season as the starting QB so this franchise can find out if he's the future or not.

The 1985er likes this.
  4. mute

mute Well-Known Member

I hate to say it but even if geno completely shits the bed again he'll start.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

5. heartpumpsgreen

heartpumpsgreen Active Member

yeah fans, who should start ? Before we or the coaches see Geno in camp in year 2? Great question .... for idiots!

6. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Geno. If he starts to wilt, play Vick (if he isn't already injured).

7. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

For those of you who think Vick is just here to be a backup he said the folllowing when interviewed by SNY today,intresting.....

8. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

$5 million bucks for a one year backup -- Plan is either for him to start or for the jets to draft a QB that will compete to start and hope to get another Russel Wilson situation. I think Smith could end up at 3rd string if they draft a QB.

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

4 million but who's counting when we still have 25-30 million left?

10. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

i figure he will get $4.5 before he gets hurt.

Can't believe they are in cap hell for 2 years and now have all this money do so little

11. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

No, the plan is either for Smith to start after an offseason of improvement or for Vick to hold the reins in case he fails.

they've said multiple times that Vick is here to push Smith. They like Smith, and though they feel he hasn't earned an uncontested starting spot after his first 8 months in the NFL (rightfully so), they think he can still be worth a damn and have set up a backup option in case he doesn't. thats all the Vick signing was.

5 million a year thereabouts is the going rate for veteran QB's that can be consider a stopgap QB, the price means nothing as to what their plan is beyond that role.

I don't get why some can't accept this: they want Smith to earn it, bringing in Vick doesn't mean they've given up on him in any shape or form.

The 1985er and Axel3419 like this.
  12. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

Rex will start whichever of Smith or Vick is doing better in the pre-season / offseason. If Smith has a meltdown game then Vick will either come in in the middle of that game, or start the next game.

Rex is not going to risk his Jets career just for the sake of getting a better look at Smith- and he can justify that by knowing that if he gets fired Smith will be done anyway as the new HC trades up for a QB. Although Rex is very hopeful that Smith's December performance means that he can be an above-average QB next year, his main focus is on making the playoffs this year so that he will get some breathing room as Idzik continues to build up the roster with young talent.

13. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Yesterday's press conference suggest that it's really no open competition again. I'm just gong by how what rex saids, he does the opposite and I don't expect this year to be any different. I haven't been wrong since calling him out on his bs to the media.

Yesterday's conference translated to "I'm still full of shit. There's no open competition, Geno will start no matter what happens because face it, he's the GMs guy."

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

14. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

You want us all to shut up until training camp?

15. mgjetman22

mgjetman22 Active Member

You can have all the talent in the world around you but if you can't even hit wide open recievers and are only good for one read. Get Geno's ass out of there before he racks up 14 int's and no TD's in a six game span.

16. mgjetman22

mgjetman22 Active Member

Not sure how you can say start anyone. Training camp means very little in my opinion and the competition should be decide when there is a real rush in preseason. With that being said I believe Vick wins easily.

17. RexLuvzSnax

RexLuvzSnax Member

I look at it this way: Geno has the starting job until him or Vick shows that he belongs on the bench. This might be in training camp or at game 8 of the regular season. I think the job is really Geno's to lose. At first I didn't like the signing of Vick because I thought it meant the Jets had given up on Geno already. Thinking more about it I think the Jets got a great insurance policy if Geno falters like he did last year. I think he will be on a very short leash and Rex won't hesitate to put in vick if "he gives us the best chance to win" as he likes to say so often. If Vick does take Geno's job I think we will be drafting another QB in 2015.

18. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

You are not to discuss ANYTHING of a speculative nature on this board.

This is only for REAL NFL business.

Take your opinions and your "fandom" elsewhere.

Good day to YOU Sir.

_

19. Fightin'JetTitan

Fightin'JetTitan Active Member

EXACTLY this.....!!

20. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Yep that's pretty much what they want,We aren't allowed to question anything Idzik does or doesn't do or any other moves the Jets make

chris5533 likes this.