Former Jet Retires

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jay Bizniss, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Srs.

2. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

Once the Bengals signed Jason Campbell, there was zero chance that McElroy would make the team. The Bengals may have told him that he was going to be cut, but he's smart enough to have seen the writing on the walls either way. If they were going to cut him shortly thereafter, then he would have had a chance to compete for a 3rd string spot on another team, but realistically his chances would be low. He was a 7th round pick, and would've been on his 3rd team- even though teams would want him to compete for the 3rd QB spot, most likely they would be putting him up against someone they just drafted and are probably going to keep no matter what.

By retiring, he gets one last blip in the media, and maybe he'll get to host a sports radio show in Alabama, where he's loved for winning a national championship in college. Or he could be a pro or college scout, or maybe work in the media in some way. Or maybe he'll become a college QB coach (which he is highly qualified for.) If you do the traditional route of competing, getting cut, trying to come back the next year, etc, you just fade away, and maybe he felt like it would be more advantageous for him to make it publicly known that he's ready to move on to the next phase of his life so that maybe some offers will come in.

There's also something to be said for going out on your own terms, rather than letting the league spit you out.

3. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Ebay?yea I do sell some stuff there,I sell fishing equipment buddy not fake rings.Ebays good for overhead and stuff that you want to get rid of fast.But no I'm not a full time ebay guy

4. DRC™

DRC™ Active Member

He'll probably go into coaching

5. Sloup

Sloup Active Member

The future is bright for Greg McElroy.

6. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Lol, what????? If anything I have even more respect for him, and any player who decides the NFL is no longer their career path. I'm sure he'll go on to do good things. What an ignorant statement this is.

7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Intelligent, motivated people don't want to just sit around doing nothing just because they can collect a paycheck. McElroy was a candidate for the Rhodes scholarship, he's not a dumb guy. why would he want to waste his time on a mindless job, sitting around a football facility for 14 hour days for half the year just because he could make a little extra money. I am going to assume he believes he can make a nice living while also being productive, and that is a more appealing prospect.

8. RobertTheJr

RobertTheJr Member

But you can't spell... America at its finest.

9. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i am disappointed only because i will not have any reason to use the name mcelroni anymore. :(

i am honestly sad about that. ill have to just say it for no reason every now and again.

10. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

The homeless work for themselves too ya know...