Nice Leon Washington Article

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WhiteShoeWillis, Sep 26, 2006.

1. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Haven't seen this posted - nice article from Newsday today.

Breakaway breakthrough
    Rookie Washington is an escape artist who may get more touches
    BY TOM ROCK
    Newsday Staff Writer

September 26, 2006

Growing up in Jacksonville, Fla., Leon Washington played a game called "hotball" in which one kid would have to elude the tackles of the other 20. Here on Long Island, it's sometimes called "kill the guy with the ball," a more descriptive and not entirely inaccurate moniker.

Washington developed into a pretty good player - especially considering he was around 11 years old and competing with his 15-year-old brother and his friends - and he built a strong vocabulary of jukes, spins and cuts to elude capture.

Running away from 20 kids on a sandlot is not the same as skittering past 11 NFL defenders. But it did provide a base for what the Jets saw from Washington on Sunday and what they hope to continue to get from the rookie tailback.

"Things like that you take for granted as a child, but they help you out in the National Football League," Washington said. "You get a chance to get out in the open field, you've got all these linebackers and DBs out there, it looks like 20 guys."

Washington has shown he has a knack for making them miss. His 47-yard reception on a short pass and run included a staggering cut that caused the Bills' Nate Clements and Terrence McGee to collide like Keystone Kops. The play ignited the offense and led to the Jets' first touchdown of the game. He flashed even better moves in the third quarter when he took a shovel pass from Chad Pennington and, through a series of condensed contortions in tight quarters, turned it into a gain of about 13 yards that was negated by an illegal player downfield.

"I saw it on film this morning and I was kind of like 'Yeah, wow,'" Washington said.

Washington provided a spark, but at 5-8 and 202 pounds, there is some question whether he can develop into an every-down back like Curtis Martin (who has been in Washington's ear providing tips) or Marshall Faulk (whom Washington grew up emulating). On Sunday, he took only seven handoffs but gained 25 yards, nearly as much as starter Kevan Barlow grinded out (31 yards on 12 carries). Washington may not be the answer to the Jets' running woes - an AFC-worst 2.6 yards per carry - but he is sure to be a slice of the solution. If Barlow's leg injury late Sunday is more than a ding, Washington may become more a chunk than a slice.

Washington and fellow explosive rookie Brad Smith seem to be developing their own playbook for the Jets, a repertoire of gadgets and gimmicks to go along with their natural abilities.

"Anytime you can get Leon the ball in the open field," Pennington said, "you guys can see how exciting he is and how elusive he is."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/footb...07097sep26,0,7190747.story?coll=ny-jets-print

2. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Their is no other way to explain this guy! He's giving his wisdom to Kevan Barlow, believing in him and trying to help him succeed...And trying to show an undersized Leon that he can infact be a player who can contribute well in this offense, making the most of his opportunities...

Leon I think could be getting 5-7 carries a game, and try to get him int he open-field on screens or dumpoffs...Just another weapon for Schottenheimer.

3. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

And just think... we got this guy for free. We showed Herm the door, picked up a better coach in Mangini and got playmaker Leon Washington as a bonus. It doesn't get any better than that!

4. Coach K

Coach K New Member

thanks for posting the article Willie. no news in it to me except for the fact Martin is giving him some knowledge.

but regardless a good read. afterall hes one of my favorite players.

this is for Trey Ko and FloridaJetsFan

:up:

5. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

This guy really isn't small he is short. I remeber a guy the Giants won a SB with named Joe Morris. 5'7" 195 pounds and ran for over 1500 yards on Bill Parcells 86 SB team.

6. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

He has really shown serious elusiveness in the touches he's received so far. We have to get the ball in his hands more often - this guy looks like he could be a SERIOUS weapon. Don't flame to too bad, but I swear he reminded me of Barry Sanders on that dump pass that got called back on illegal man down field. Get this man the ball!

7. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

It can be done. Washington has enough of the tools. I hope he gets the carries and a chance to really prove himself.

8. SOWELLisGOD

SOWELLisGOD New Member

great article

9. GreenMachine

WARRICK DUNN

Atlanta Falcons | RB | #28
    College: Florida State Rookie Yr: 1997
    Ht., Wt.: 5'9", 180
    Contract Status: Active
    NFL Exp.: 10
    Born: Jan 05, 1975, in Baton Rouge, LA

10. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

it's about time he's gotten some touches. keep 'em coming!

i can't help but wonder what happens next year: Barlow, Washington, Houston, and Blaylock -- one or two of them will have to, especially if we draft someone. at this point, i'm not so sure anymore that we'll draft a RB because as the OL improves, so will they. which in turn means, we can't keep everyone because they'll want playing opportunities also.

cheers

11. Mrzwiz7

Mrzwiz7 New Member

barry sanders....height 5' 8''....weight 203

12. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

we should start leon washington and have barlow bang it in the endzone, i have been wanting to post this since before the season started but been busy.

13. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Exactly what I was thinking...hes short..not "small" as in a running back under 190.

The play that was called back..I believe it was a shovel pass from Pennington..I replayed that one about 4 times...what moves...this kid has a minimum of "great 3rd down back" written all over him.

And as an above poster mentioned...we got him for Herm Edwards...thats enough for me to pull like hell for this kid.

14. AnyGivenSunday

AnyGivenSunday Active Member

He reminds me ALOT of Brian Westbrook. Both are speed backs with very good hands, but some dont really think that they can handle the load as a feature back (plus, they are both 5-8, 203).

I personally would be extremely happy if Washington turns out to be as good as Westbrook, especially if we have another power back to compliment him such as Barlow or Houston.

15. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Great find, Willie! But,,, the Sanders comparison.... Sanders was explosive, and great, but he often turned 3 yard running plays into 5 yard losses. Washington doesn't try to run around for 10 seconds looking for a hole the way Sanders did. He has more power, and is willing to use it to get that 3 yards, instead of going east and west when a hole isn't there.

He did get dinged up a lot in collge, and that has something to do with why his ability to be a feature back is in some doubt, but he's Blaylock, but better.... faster, more elusive and more powerful.

I remain convinced that Washington is better than Blaylock, and Houston is better than Barlow. Having said that, the O line still can't run block very well. when Kendall comes back, that should help.... and we know Indy can be run on.... should be an interesting game Sunday.