Our plan at CB….

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nevbeats319, Mar 13, 2014.

1. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

This is a disaster. What the fuck is idzick doing

heartpumpsgreen likes this.
  2. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

I agree heavily with Idzik's philosophy, but even I have to admit that he should bend at least a little bit here. I mean, we still have a ton of cap space, and that's without having released Sanchez. Even if you have to pay 1 mil more, just do it. It's not like there are gonna be any other big signings.

3. chris5533

What good is unlimited cap space if we don't use any of it? I get don't over spend but if DRC left. What's the plan at corner? Kyle Wilson? I hope reports are untrue

4. RexLuvzSnax

RexLuvzSnax Member

I feel like we need another veteran corner. Dee was far too inconsistent last year to have faith in him being our top cb. With the FA market thinning out it wouldn't even be that bad of a move to sign a solid number two cb and maybe draft a corner in later rounds of the draft.

5. tjonesishere

tjonesishere Member

I understand not over spending and keeping everything in control but drc just walked out. You can offer a little more being we have cap space or maybe I do not know something,or maybe woody wants to add to his billions because all seats do not sell? Either way you could have accomplished something...I read that drc offer from Denver was equivalent to a 1 year 10 mil deal with the rest easy for Denver to get-out of. I guess we can wait and see

6. tjonesishere

tjonesishere Member

At this rate the 1st round

heartpumpsgreen likes this.
  7. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

The Jet GM is an ignoramus and the Jet owner is a cheapskate.

chris5533 likes this.
  8. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

DRC is a must-add at this point.

I have no clue what Idzik is thinking letting him skip town without a deal.

I agree with not not overpaying, but Johnny, you backed yourself into a corner with your insulting lowball offers and lukewarm interest in the CB market while putting the full-court press on for Eric Decker.

Johnny, you have no leverage. Your team was 8-8 last year and hasn't been to the playoffs in 3 years.

Meanwhile, while our GM continues at his snail's pace, NE has quickly and effortlessly assembled one of the best -- if not the very best -- CB tandems in the league.

chris5533 and Truth4U2 like this.
  9. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

clearly the way to succeed is to pay every FA exactly what they demand, in fact, why not offer them more than they demand so that they sign within a minute of arriving?

I know when I look across the NFL its always those teams that spend the most and make the biggest splashes early in free agency that enjoy the most long term success.

SMH

10. tjonesishere

tjonesishere Member

What your saying makes sense however if we sign drc it wouldn't be lie we are that team... maybe you're right but what are you going to do hold money for next year

11. Barcs

Barcs Banned

My hope is that DRC simply wanted too much money and Idzik said, check if the Giants will pay that much, if not come back. We might just see him back here. If we miss out on DRC, it's very likely we will pick up somebody mediocre and our secondary will get torched again.

#111 Barcs, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  12. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

There are plenty of red flags with DRC. He was terrible for two years before Denver, and you have to question where his heart is at with the retirement comment last year. Did he put in more effort last year just because he was in a contract year and wanted a pay day?

I think the Colts really screwed up our plans because it appeared they came in at the last second for Vontae and stole him from us.

I'll give Idzik the benefit of the doubt. He has a plan and vision in place for how he wants to run the team.

13. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

DRC is a press corner that struggled in the Eagles zone system, so it isn't surprising why he didn't do well there.

I was concerned as well, but I think the retirement comments were overblown.

14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Shopping from FA market all the time is not how you build a perennial contender.

You know what? Jets got Tannenbaum as the GM for a reason. Usual Jets fans want GMs in image of Tannenbaum, wheeling and dealing at whim to trade up in the draft and getting the coveted FA all the time, no matter the cost. Now I see it. Ugh!

For crying out loud - look at how Seattle did in free agency during the last five years. They were not better off than Jets five years ago, barely making it to the playoff with a losing record at one point. Marshawn Lynch is about all I can think of, and he was obtained through trade.

15. chris5533

That's not the case. No ones lobbying for idzick to sign champ bailey. We need to spend some money. Squeezing the quarter till the eagle screams isn't going to cut it. Milner and Wilson as the jets top two corners is a problem. I don't see how you don't see that, especially in a press defense. So whats idzicks genious plan in your opinion?

16. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

It's March. The Jets have plenty of D backs. They just don't have so many that thrive on man coverage. There are many ways to play defense. Rex will have to be flexible. Besides he is the head coach not the d coordinator. Teams that play some zone get more interceptions. That's the reason the Jets get so few and give up too many deep throws. Idzik may be trying to send a message.

17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

You just have no fucking idea. It's that simple.

1. Jets do have some cap room.
    2. Jets do need to extend a few handful players, starting with Mo Wilk.
    3. Jets do need to sign draft picks.
    4. Free agent period is not over yet.
    5. Jets have more than one spot to address - CB is simply one of them. If you think Milliner and Wilson are problematic, I suggest you look at OLB positions. It looks 10x much worse, if not worse than that.
    6. So what's the plan? DRAFT. Jesus fucking Christ.

18. DanR

DanR Active Member

Will we draft a good CB in the draft? Whats the plan here?

19. chris5533

1. Plenty
    2. Not this year
    3. With rookie restriction will count around 5 mill
    4. Who are we signing?
    5. You think lob is more pressing than corner?
    6. So we're going to try and draft a top flight cb. Hardest position to fill outside qb.

I follo your logic. Thank you for breaking it down.

20. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

Don't rule out the idea that we could still sign DRC.

Someone leaked out a story that DRC turned down $9m/year from the Broncos, right before the Jets meeting, which he then denied. Either way, it sort of suggested that he was seeking something around or above that. He did let it be known that he'd also be meeting with the Giants if he wasn't satisfied with the Jets' offer.

To me, that says that he probably wanted to put as much pressure on the Jets as he could, to hopefully get them to agree to top-of-the-market money (~$10m). Meeting with the Giants is perfect and easy, because they're basically next to each other, and of course there's a rivalry there.

But the Giants are in a different situation cap-space wise. They have much less room, only about $11m. It takes several million dollars, I think maybe $4m - $5m just to sign all your rookies. They could restructure E. Manning and/or Rolle and get up to $15m in cap space if they want to, but that is a bit of a desperation move and I don't know that they'd do it for DRC.

I don't know that they are going to go all-in for this year at the expense of 2015 and 2016, after the big struggles they had last year. It also goes against their traditional philosophy of building through the draft for the most part. You don't really see the Giants paying mega-bucks to free agents, most of the time. Same with the Steelers and Packers.

DRC and his agent know that the Jets are sort of desperate for a corner, and that he's the best one available. On the other hand, Idzik knows that DRC is also desperate, in the sense that he fears missing out on that top-end CB money and might have to settle for a lesser contract. The CB-needy teams with lots of cap space have mostly signed their guys at this point. The Patriots have no appetite for a third CB, and they're not going to spend like $30m of their cap space on 3 corners.

My feeling is that DRC probably went in and asked for close to $10m, and Idzik probably wanted something more like $7m as his opening offer. Then DRC says "well, okay then, let's see what the Giants have to say", hoping that Rex would pressure Idzik into just paying the $10m to ensure they don't lose him. Idzik is sort of calling the bluff, betting that the Giants are not going to be willing to pay that much for him when I don't think it's necessarily a huge need for them. I don't follow the Giants so I don't know how their secondary is, but I know they generally don't go after expensive free agents and that they haven't been mentioned as one of the teams that is in the market for CBs.

After the Giants won't accept $9m or $9.5m, at that point the agent calls Idzik and hopefully they work something out. As soon as I heard that he was going to visit the Giants, I figured that it would be some kind of a ploy to increase pressure on the Jets to come in with a high offer, but Idzik seems very disciplined (for better or worse) and that doesn't really work on him.