2014 Jets Free Agency Tracker

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Jan 24, 2014.

1. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

Y'all a bunch of impatient mother fuckers.

2. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

Well Salas is on the team and Braylon isnt...so I dont know how that is "just as bad as Edwards."

But have a nice day :*

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Exactly..they traded for Lynch and lucked out with Wilson..that's my point. They didn't become a great team because they drafted well over a number of years, maybe a good team, but they became a great team with Lynch and Wilson..where was Denver before Manning or NE before Brady? Now at least two of those teams are signing all the FAs they can so that they stay on top, the last one just won the SB so they probably don't need to..not until next year anyway.

4. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

[quowhatTruth4U2, post: 2961111, member: 20574"]We're really a win now team, when you look at the roster. No big holes. We need a #1 WR, a guard, but that's about it. Then, just some depth. We can certainly make the playoffs this year, and maybe even go deep in the playoffs....but we'll need a quality starting CB opposite Milliner to do that.[/quote]
    Say what? No big holes?

5. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

Say what? No big holes?[/quote]

Name one big hole we have? Even our receiver look decent now, and that was the weakest position on the team. We just need to draft a #1 WR in the 1st round. One of the guard spots is uncertain, but we'll probably draft or sign someone decent there. QB? check. RB? check. DL? check LB? check. DB? We need a veteran CB (DRC) and maybe another safety, though we're solid there right now. Our offense is improved, and our front 7 on D is the envy of the league. This team is loaded, and just needs another WR, another CB, and a guard. That's it.

6. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

Name one big hole we have? Even our receiver look decent now, and that was the weakest position on the team. We just need to draft a #1 WR in the 1st round. One of the guard spots is uncertain, but we'll probably draft or sign someone decent there. QB? check. RB? check. DL? check LB? check. DB? We need a veteran CB (DRC) and maybe another safety, though we're solid there right now. Our offense is improved, and our front 7 on D is the envy of the league. This team is loaded, and just needs another WR, another CB, and a guard. That's it.[/quote]

Yeah everyone wishes they had David Harris and Demario Davis. Right now we have no pass rushing linebackers. I would say San Fran or the Seahawks front 7 is the envy of the league.

7. NYJets17

Don't bring your intelligence here! It's forbidden! :rolleyes:

8. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I know we're all waiting on DRC news, but let's shift back to receiver for a bit. I'm really anxious to see if we can lock up either James Jones or Emmanuel Sanders. If we could, I'd be very excited about our offense heading into training camp. The receiving corps would have shifted from Holmes (who hardly played), Nelson, Kerley, Salas to Decker, Jones/Sanders, Kerley, Nelson. Kerley is an AMAZING option as a 3 receiver, and I also loved what Nelson was able to do. The only concern that I have over that potential situation is that there is no true #1/big play receiver. Decker, Jones and Nelson are all big bodied, red-zone targets (which we desperately needed) while Sanders and Kerley both resemble 3rd down/possession receivers. That's potentially where a first round pick like Lee could come into play, though I find it somewhat hard, but not impossible, to see Idzik making 2 big WR signings then going back there in the first round. Also, it's hard to depend on a rookie to come in and be your immediate number one, unless you're talking about a special AJ Green or Julio Jones type.

Another thing that I'm curious about is other fans' perspectives on the possibility of trading up. The Steelers and Ravens both pick right before us, and both are likely looking for an big bodied, athletic tight end (despite BAL resigning Pitta). If Eric Ebron is around at 14, would you package picks to go up and get him? That scenario intrigues me, because we could really use a guy like Ebron. Also, this one is far more unrealistic but the reasoning makes some sense. Receivers like Sammy Watkins hardly ever come around, and all projections have him coming straight in and being a #1 receiver. If he's on the board at 5 or maybe 6, I'd strongly consider packaging my first and second round pick to get him. (approx. the deal it took to move up from 17 to 5 to get Sanchez). Does anyone agree or disagree?

9. NYJets17

absolutely would never trade up for Ebron. Troy Niklas is great TE that will be available around our 3rd round pick.

If Ebron is there, he's there. If he's not, WR.

10. NYJets17

We have Antwan Barnes who did a great job until his injury. We still have the draft to go. Plus we're not done signing.

11. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

Seems people are forgetting Coples' awesome play down the stretch last year. .....also, I'm not saying Davis or Harris are elite, but Davis is an up and comer and Harris is a solid run stopper. As a group, they are very good. And yeah we still have Barnes and Pace (as of now)...

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Having watched how the trade ups around the NFL have worked out over the last decade I would never trade up in the 1st round for anything but a QB. I'd only trade up for a QB if I was certain he was going to be a star and there was no other way to get him and my current QB situation left a lot to be desired. Even then I'd only trade up if there was enough talent already on the roster that the QB had a reasonable chance to succeed at a high level.

In most circumstances trading up is for fools. The Jets have not made a single good trade up in the last decade, including the Revis deal. Jets went from 10-6 and playoffs before they made that deal to 4-12 and last place after it.

13. NYJets17

yep, it's not too bad.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets LB's are like dust in the wind right now. 2 of them (assuming Pace is re-signed) are 30 or over and 2 of them are still unproven and with no evidence that they will be good let alone great.

15. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

id rather pass on those guys and use our 1st pick on a nice receiver…if we sign a wr we would pretty much be using a #1 on a 4th wr...

16. nevbeats319

coples is entering his 3rd year.. i think he's going to turn up HARD this year

Truth4U2 likes this.
  17. joe

joe Well-Known Member

^ This

Solid at safety? What?!! Front 7 the ENVY of the league? Tell the Panthers that.

"QB? check" <---you're 100% sure Geno's the answer? I'm not saying he's not (he improved towards the end), but to hang your hat on his overall performance last year and consider him a long-term 'lock' is a little premature imho.

We have holes at OG, S, CB, OLB, WR, CB (and could use could use another TE). While this team should be improved in 2014, it is not loaded - not yet, not close.

#6257 joe, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  18. nevbeats319

i don't see whole other then the guard spot.. but we could use upgrades everywhere except the d-line

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

no, if we sign another wr we are making sure a rookie won't be pushed into the lineup before he is ready and helping both development and the depth of the position

20. nevbeats319

i think have "holes" wrong…to me a hole is when you don't have a serviceable decent option..nobody can have amazing talent everywhere,,,