Eric Decker Officially a New York Jet

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ctjetsguy, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

How is he being paid like a #1?

I'm sure the Jets don't see him as a #1, as they're still going after another receiver, and probably draft one as well.

2. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

http://insidethefilmroom.com/22-breakdown-seattles-super-bowl-xlviii-win-broncos-part-1/

Pay close to attention to where Decker is in these pictures. He gets run out of bounds on the first pick by Manning, but on other plays he is open, pretty much wide open. On the sideline pass to Demariyus that is incomplete, Decker runs uncovered down the middle as Earl breaks on the early thrown ball by Manning. Looking forward to him getting open for Geno for some long touchdowns. The second int Manning throws was obviously caused by pressure, but Decker runs a comeback and Maxwell is still backpedaling by the time Decker is running back toward Manning

3. BE_A_JET

BE_A_JET New Member

4. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

5. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

6. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Well there's two lines of thinking. Let's going with line 1
    1) The best WR on a team is the #1 receiver. There are 32 teams, so 32 #1 receivers. Decker being 17th highest would make him average pay for a number 1 in this line of thinking

Second line
    2) #1 WR status is based on play by the WR. So while Kerley was out best WR last year, he does not qualify as a #1 if compared to a Calvin Johnson for example. This means there aren't necessarily 32 #1 WRs in the NFL meaning the 17th highest WR contract depends on how many of the 16 above you consider #1 receivers. This delves more into how do you qualify a #1 receiver. If we treat #1 to be equivalent to something like "elite" there are only maybe 5 of those types of receivers. If we make #1 equivalent to great, there are maybe 10 and etc etc.

Brandon Moore's Butt likes this.
  7. 74

74 Well-Known Member

It's really shocking the amount of hate on this move by some fans on here. they are the minority, but I am shocked at how many are voicing displeasure. it's a solid deal for a solid receiver. plus we have tons of cap room to play with. he's not overpaid at all but even if he was who cares? did you watch the fucking games last year where our best option was Clyde motherfuckin gates???!!! Anyone bitching about this deal needs to jump off a goddamn rooftop.

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

good post. There's also the fact that salaries go up every year. so unless every player is negotiating a new deal on a yearly basis being the 17th highest paid at your position doesn't mean you're being paid as the 17th best player at that position.

9. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Because he's overrated and he's not close to being a number 1 receiver. But i hope he succeeds it's not in my nature to root against players on my team. But I really feel we're gonna regret this signing.

soxxx likes this.
  10. NyJet4Life

NyJet4Life Active Member

Still one of the worst posters after so many years. I see things haven't changed. Anyway, YOUR point makes no sense, it's obvious we had a collection of receivers that, OVERALL, (comparable to other teams) lacked in certain areas, i.e. hands, route running, speed, experience, etc. Nonetheless, we still HAD those qualities in our WR corps, we just didn't put them to good use, and coupled with a rookie QB at the helm. You can call it awful but the fact remains they are still 'good' NFL players or else they wouldn't be in the league.

Reply back if you want, you will NOT convince me that any player in the NFL is not 'good' at the very least.

Defense Rests.

11. jetfannerd

jetfannerd Trolls

Decker has always been underrated because hes white. The kid was one of the most productive players in Big 10 history at Minnesota. He was also a great baseball player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

funny part is, some guys who would be considered a "#1 WR" by most haven't made it to the point where they can even TRY to negotiate for more yet.

they can only extend a deal after 3 years in the NFL, Gordon, Thomas, and Green to name a few off the top of my head have either just reached that point or are a year short of that mark.

Decker's contract is top 20 for now, but uh... give it a couple years. If the cap goes even higher as expected, and he plays at a solid level we may be looking at a steal depending on how the last 3 years of his deal look.

13. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Who on the FA market is a #1 receiver? Don't tell me Nicks, because Gordon played with similar to worse QB play and lit it up as a #1 would do this past year.

The idea shouldn't be to turn down talent if they aren't the best. You aren't getting the best in FA, it's really rare you would. You have to get guys you think will be talented in your system at a price you can take. The Jets did that with Decker. There's obviously a chance we can regret this decision, like every decision the Jets will make going forward.

14. NyJet4Life

NyJet4Life Active Member

Eli isn't an elite QB either!! And I'd be so bold to go on to say he is in the lower 1/3 of the league's QB's. He just has far better supporting cast and great coaching. That being said, I tend to agree with those who believe Josh Gordon is one of the top 5 best receivers in the league

15. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

As I posted in the other thread... this board can make some people insane, lol our fan base is one of a kind :) that said... at first I was against the Decker signing since I was convinced he was a product of the Denver offense... after much thought I came to the conclusion that I was afraid more of the money he would command, 10 mil a year as opposed to what such a talent deserved, 6 or 7.

Once I saw the final numbers as basically a 2 year deal I am totally ok with it. I'm a big believer that true number ones don't come in FA you gotta draft em... FA is there to maybe grab a 2 etc... top tier guys are few and far btwn so I'll take the contract and hope for the best.

I'll take his work ethic and team philosophy any day over that thief Holmes !

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

A tier 1 WR's value is never discounted by the opposition. Whether the opposing CB is excellent, good, average or bad your tier-1 WR will give you full value. An excellent CB can shut him down or make him a bad option but your guy can also have a good day against him and frequently does.

A tier-1 CB will face a bunch of guys each year where he is overkill. If the other team doesn't have a great #1 WR, well then your guy is shadowing somebody that your #2 could probably cover effectively. If the other team is the 2013 Jets, well then most of the value of your #1 CB is wasted on the day because he's essentially covering somebody that will never see the ball anyway.

All of this said, both tier-1 WR's and tier-1 CB's are paid better than tier-1 safeties, and that's a joke. There's a bigger disconnect between inside and outside values at the moment than between the values on the edge.

17. TonyMaC

love this contract even more; guys look at the annual details this one has:

@RichCimini
    Follow

Numbers on Decker: 5/$36.25M. Includes $7.5M signing bonus, plus gtd base of $2.5M + $5.0M in '14 + '15. Cap: $4M, $6.5M, $8M, $8.75M, $9M.

two years of guaranteed money, 10.5 million in total cap spending during that period.

HELL. YES.

http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Eric Decker&Position=WR&Team=Jets
    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/eric-decker/

the later amounts are steeper sure, but look at it this way: if he's really worth it after two years we have him, if he's not we can cut him easily with I'm sure barely any strings attached.

hell who knows maybe he's elite after all and we get a steal, or he's average and what he makes down the road is the new standard for average Wideouts. Maybe he's lousy, but hell he's a good teammate and can train up any other drafted WR's before he's cut anyhow.

either way, this is an incredibly team friendly deal after all. We have the perfect mentor/genuine offensive weapon going forward with NO down sides to his contract, anybody who calls this an overpay is either ignorant or a biased moron.

18. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

Yes, this was a great contract for the Jets. If he somehow ends up being terrible, he can be cut after 2015, so there's no enormous risk involved.

On the other hand, if he ends up being good, then we have him locked in at an affordable rate.

People are pointing out how his big numbers only came when he was with Peyton Manning, and that's true. But on the other hand, his previous QB was Tim Tebow, and he still put up solid numbers (at least, better than all of the Jets WRs of the last few years.) I have to believe that Smith is a much better passer than Tebow, so I think Decker's numbers should be better than they were with Tebow in Denver, though of course not as good as with Manning. If that happens, he'll still have better numbers than any Jets wideout in years. He also seems to have a really good personality, isn't a diva, doesn't have substance problems, etc.

That said, Decker is not enough. The Jets need more than him to have a successful passing attack- they need someone like Lee from the draft, and probably one lesser free agent wideout. Kerley is good in the slot, so if we wind up with Lee, Decker, Kerley, and someone whose last name does not end with "ill", the passing attack should vastly improve.

19. TonyMaC

I'm practically doing happy dance about how this turned out, damn the dumb outsiders who think we overpaid, this deal is AWESOME, couldn't have been done better. :D

The job isn't done, but his presence will be a catalyst for an improved WR corp overall, he'll play "#1" for now but really its his value as a smart route runner and able contributor admits other talent thats gonna bring this team over the top in terms of offensive threats.

its Decker plus Lee/Cooks/ OBJ and Kerley that I'm excited about, cover one heavily and watch the team burn 'em with the others who aren't.

20. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Nicks and Britt are closer to being number 1 receivers than Decker. They've both been their teams primary options at certain points. If it were me Nicks would've been the guy I'd target.