2014 Jets Free Agency Tracker

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Jan 24, 2014.

1. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Ive come to learn one thing about free agency;

It's OVERRATED

Teams RESIGN the best players they have, they dont allow the elite level players touch free agency. You can sit here and say that the team didnt have the money, but you know what? if they valued the guy, they would not let him go. They let him go because there are more important and BETTER players that they have to pay, the bottom line is they were not the priority of the team. Now surely there are some exceptions but for the most part, the players hitting free agency were not the teams' priority and thats why year after year, the team that makes the big splash, never really works out. Look at all the top free agents from last year, guys like:

-Mike Wallace
    -Greg Jennings
    -Ed Reed
    -Dustin Keller
    -Paul Kruger
    -Dashon Goldson

You really didnt hear much about them during the season right? yet last free agency everyone was freaking out when they were getting signed. The top players in this league are either sign or in the draft. Some free agents have value, like Jake Long last year, or Wes Welker, but for the most part these guys go from offseason stars because they get so much attention because of free agency, and then once the season starts you dont really hear to much.

Br4d, IIMeanDeanII and MoWilkNYJ like this.
  2. Vilmalover51

Vilmalover51 Active Member

Problem is we haven't added anybody

3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

He hasn't made any moves on day 1 of free agency doe... We're fucked.

Dat bitch is unqualified.

4. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Free Agency isn't over, hardly any top WR have gone off the board, there's alot of talent remaining and agents will want to try and get their clients some kind of fair to good deal.....and we are in service with a lot of cap room. Just gotta keep the poker hand up.

5. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

Just give me Darrelle Revis.

6. Vilmalover51

That's
    That's a bogus excuse and you know it. A bunch of teams are making moves, it's not like we were 12-4 last year. We haven't made the playoffs in three years, we need to make moves.

7. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

I agree. Idzik said in the past that the draft is gonna be the lifeline. I don't know why my expectations were that we were gonna be handing out big contracts. It's probably for the best. But for now I feel a bit let down. Oh well in Idzik we trust.

8. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

You're right....I missed that one

9. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Then you haven't followed this very long obviously.

10. IIMeanDeanII

Do you think we could still add someone on day 2, hell even day 3?

I mean.. You think?

If you don't add ANYONE on day 1, does that mean we are eliminated from free agency signings moving forward?

I'm confused in general.

11. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

Yeah, 6.

NYJalltheway and Vilmalover51 like this.
  12. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Well fellas at least we didn't overpay anyone today

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

With his stated philosophy (building the team through the draft and bringing in competition at every position), why would you be surprised at that? I hoped he'd sign some quality young starters, but never expected him too. When you sign a big name or big dollar FA, you have to guarantee them a starting spot. That's contrary to Idzik's philosophy. I expect him to mostly sign a quantity of 2nd tier FAs who will improve the depth and competition, but as prices come down, he may surprise us by still signing a higher profile FA or two.

The 1985er likes this.
  14. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

If you have NFL Sunday ticket you will be able to keep an eye on him every week playing for the Jags, just a hunch since he signed a 5 yr contract.

DoubleDecker87 likes this.
  15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets currently have eight CB's under contract. Milliner, Walls, Wilson, Lankster, Patrick, Dowling, Taylor and Rose. They have 11+ draft picks. There will be CB's available in free agency after the smoke has cleared. There always are. One of the big winners in free agency this year was Vontae Davis who one year ago signed a one year deal at the end of free agency to play for the Colts.

You can't pay a huge amount for an average CB just because you need a CB. The cap doesn't let you do that and still be successful. This'll work out. Hell, with two starting CB's underperforming at the time the Jets beat Tom Brady and Drew Brees last year.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Amen. There's no excuse for that.

17. Vilmalover51

Of course not but you can't say you didn't think we weren't gonna make some kind of move today with all this cap space! It obviously didn't go how they wanted it to today.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  18. Tarzanboy

Tarzanboy Member

My guysare still out there... McCown... Sanders... Edelman now and Ben Tate... No way do I want injury prone MD... Ben Tate turns this team around... And now... Throw money at Howard...

19. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Revis took 16M a year with no long term guarantee. His people now get another chance to get it right. Long term contracts are meaningless, only bonuses upfront and guaranteed money count. The Jets can set the number they will pay and make other teams go higher if they want him. Going 4 and 12 may have reminded him of the fun he used to have playing the game. He is old enough now to make up his own mind. The Jet are on the upswing with or without him.

20. IIMeanDeanII

It's not a bogus excuse. EVER.

A bunch of teams that lose year in and year out are making moves and over spending for their players. Yes, I can see the transactions being made.

The only teams that I can give credit for splurging right now are the teams that are only a few pieces away from making that push to the SB title. Broncos for example, the can afford to do it, even then I don't think it is the best approach and if you didn't have Peyton Manning, it wouldn't work.

Point is.

Just because a bunch of teams are doing something, doesn't make it right. You do not see the consistently good teams who go to the playoffs year in and year out blowing their load on day 1 of free agency. You just don't see that.

We are not a team that is one or two pieces away from being contenders, we are a team in transition that HAS to be smart in order to move forward.

Idzik is doing that, he is laying out a plan, he is pricing players based on what they are worth and the longevity of this football team cap wise.

Let the man work, Day 1 of free agency is not he end all be all, there are still plenty of players do be had man. Let it play out.

Tarzanboy and The 1985er like this.