10-6 is very possible

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mario, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Chadwick747

Chadwick747 New Member

I predicted 5-11 in the pre-season

I'm standing by that. You dont win games by giving up 150+ on the ground and only yourself rushing for 70+.

6 wins if we're lucky.

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

We play the Lions,Browns,Texans,Packers,Bills,Raiders, and Dolphins twice.

If we only go 5-11 I think the future of this franchise could be in trouble.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'll believe 10-6 is possible if we beat a good team at home next week. ;)

4. CYensePHIction

It is a little early to say we will have a winning record, but I think if our 3 C's (Chad, Coles, and Cotchery) stay healthy we could definetly win a few games that are against bad teams. But we need an effective running game to really pull out a winning record. Right now most NFL analysts just label us as the "Best of the Worst", but with a running game we can be a contender.

5. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

One problem with that: we are one of those marginal teams. It's unfeasible to think a team like ours can win every one of those games until we get a running game. Cleveland, Detroit, Houston, Oakland, Green Bay, Miami, and Buffalo fans are looking at the Jets game as a game they should win, too.

6. InChadWeTrust

InChadWeTrust New Member

Until we get some type of running game the mods may as well shut down this post. I love your optimism but at some point you need to realize that Chad just can't keep this up. He thrives on the play action fake and that is just not an option for this team right now.

7. steviep

steviep Active Member

how about 84?
    We started 2-1 then 6-2; then 6-4 and then lost two games in a row to the 4-12 Colts and the 3-13 Oilers and that was that.

how about 87?
    we started 2-0 and 3-2 and finished 6-9.

how about 88?
    3-1 start. 5-6-1 finish. no playoffs.

This is a long season -- and we are not good enough to pencil in ANY wins.

8. JoeJet

JoeJet Banned

Unfortunately, the NFL being what it is, the Jets will most probably lose a game or two that they are expected to win.....

9. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Last years 13 win team wasn't great and right now their isn't a great team in the league. We are still a second teir team but we have a well coached team and a very good veteran QB along with some very good players on both sides of the ball. 38% of the teams make the playoffs, we have a shot. We have done what was needed to be done in the first 3 games. We don't have to beat a first tier team to get 10 wins. We are capable if we play very well and one of the better teams we play makes a few mistakes. We are rebuilding but 10 wins and a playoff spot isn't out of the question. We will have to improve to do it. We have the players to do it.

10. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

The Lions gave Seattle a run for their money in week 1.

The Browns gave Baltimore a run for their money yesterday.

The Texans are not as terrible as their record.

The Packers are remembering how to play football again.

The Bills should have beaten us yesterday.

The Raiders suck.

We should beat the Fins, but any given Sunday always applies.

I said 4 wins all preseason. While I am excited about what this team has managed so far, getting more than 6 is still a lofty dream. Can we go 10-6? Sure. Will we? Doubtful.

Like I also said all preseason, as long as we play competitive every game, even in losing efforts, I will be more than happy. So far, I have been pleasantly surprised.

It's amusing that all this sunshine is going on right now. When Indy comes in and stomps a mudhole in us next week, it's going to be equally as amusing to see the doomsday posts.

11. winstonbiggs

The Steelers aren't that good, NE has taken a step back, Denver isn't that good, Carolina was picked to be a solid SB contender they are in disaray. Which elite team is really elite this year? Maybe the Bengals? Maybe Baltimore? Maybe Seattle? Maybe SD? Maybe IND? Maybe NE? We have 3 games against the "Elite" NFL teams maybe 4 if Jax turns out to be the real deal? Maybe 5 if you were to include Chicago?

Did you really think Cotch was going to be this good? Look at our WR group they were thought to be at best NFL JAGS, with Cotch stepping up they are a very formidable group. Look at our secondary, how many NFL teams have a more athletic and balanced Defensive Backfield than the Jets? Look at our OL, the run blocking stinks but they have been very solid in pass protection, did anyone expect that after the pre season? I'm certainly a big critic of Pennington's ability to take us to the next level against superior D but he is clearly playing better than anyone, including the biggest Pennington fans could have expected. He has always done well against the lower tier teams and our schedule is filled with them.

12. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

84 might be the worst of the bunch. Thanks for posting all of that.

TBTF

13. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

winston,

Fair point on the 13 win teams, although last season Seattle won 13 and arguably should be SB Champs and Denver won 13 in a tough division with perhaps the best home field advantage in the league. I am totally on board with 10 wins being a possibility. What I think is insanity is when someone ratchets it up to 13 based on wins against 2 bad teams. The Jets have NEVER won more than 12 Games and have only been AFC East Champs twice. Stating that this team can win 13 and is PROBABLY going to win the AFC East is just crazy. I am like a moth drawn to the flame of RobA posts. They are just so insanely optimistic, I am compelled to respond. I think the Jets are playing well and should improve, I just think people need to temper their expectations.

DbJ

14. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

Winston was definately on the money about Pennington being able to lead this offense when he is on his game. With the way he is playing and the excellent WR play the Jets have been getting all of a sudden even with no running game the offense is the highlight of this team. I'm not quite ready to sign on for 10 wins though.

As much of a pleasant suprise that the offense has been I think the defense has been equally disappointing. Unless they get dramatically improved play from the front 7 the defense is probably going to end up costing them a few games that they "should" win. I didn't expect all that much from the DL, but not only are they not generating much pass rush, they're getting pushed around at the point of attack as well. Though the LB's, and Vilma in particular are the even more distressing position. Vilma looked absolutely terrible yesterday.

Hopefully this is just the defense struggling to adapt to the new "system", or maybe they've just got a lot of players on D that just aren't a fit in this system. Whenever the LB's have to drop back into a zone or cover anyone that part of the field seems to be wide open.

15. FREEJET

FREEJET New Member

Calm down people. Let's see how good we really are after we play Indy and Jacksonville. We have not played an upper echelon team yet, and yes that includes NE THIS year.

16. winstonbiggs

How do you know Jax and Ind are upper echelon teams this year?

17. SOWELLisGOD

SOWELLisGOD New Member

anything is possible

18. NY-Jets18

NY-Jets18 New Member

take it 1 week at a time, injury is always lurking around the corner for the jets, so hopefully they stay healthy, chad keeps playing like a stud and barlow and houston pick up the running game...gotta stay positive!!!

19. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

One Sunday at a time please. But the progress is amazing, and Sundays will be fun and exciting for quite some time.

20. NY-Jets18

NY-Jets18 New Member

i just hope next weekend its not a blow out, and jets are still in the game to make an exciting finish