#30 in turnover differential (2 fumble recoveries all season)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soxxx, Mar 7, 2014.

1. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Thatis the number we need to fix above all, we didn't force many turnovers, and we gave up many turnovers.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/givetake/league/afc

Seattle: 20
    Kansas City: 18
    San Francisco: 12
    Philadelphia: 12
    Carolina: 11
    Indianapolis: 13
    New England: 9
    NY Jets: -14

Most astonishing, the Jets only forced 2 fumble recoveries the entire season. TWO! 20 other teams had double digit turnovers. The Texans were #31 with 4 fumble recoveries, other than that the next lowest 6 (Dolphins/Chargers). The Jets were also #31 in total takeaways with 15. Other than the Saints (19), Chargers (17), and Texans (11), every other team in the league had 20+ takeaways.

So is it a good thing or bad thing? We were 8-8 despite being at the bottom of the league in one of the most important categories. If we could get our differential to even zero, that would mean 14 less turnovers.... How many wins does 14 less turnovers translate to? I dont know but I could imagine its somewhere between one, two, or three.

*Here are some more stats under Rex Ryan:

2009: +1
    2010: +9
    2011: -3
    2012: -14
    2013: -14

#1 soxxx, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  2. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

We have never had opportunistic defense since 09/10 this category has been on a downward trend in a long time. Lack of Talent? Lack of Explosiveness? But the offence giving the ball up well thats been going on forever now

3. UtahGetMe2

UtahGetMe2 New Member

That is an interesting look at the team. With such a strong front 7, I'm surprised they didn't cause more fumbles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Thats why Byrd needs to be a priority...

5. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

It could be a bit skewed because of how terrible Geno was the first half. He had a lot of fumbles and INT's

I would like to see the second half of the season, or perhaps the last 5-6 games. Once they brought in Ed Reed, he and Milliner each had a few INT's. Combining that with Geno's lower number of interceptions may give us a forecast of what we'll see next season.

6. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Oh and just to clarify, I looked back to 2002 and I could not find a team with only 2 fumble recoveries. Its actually possible that last years Jets were historically bad, like worst ever in the history of the NFL.

And under Rex Ryan, these were our fumble recoveries each season:

2008: 16 (threw 2008 in to, yes under Mangini)
    2009: 14
    2010: 18
    2011: 12
    2012: 12
    2013: 2

7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Brutal. Anybody have a stat on what percentage of fumbles occur at the line of scrimmage?

8. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

Fumbles recoveries are really a crap shoot. It's luck. I would like to see the number of forced fumbles.

Found here:http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/defense/sort/fumblesForced

Jets forced 11 fumbles, which was near the bottom, but not last.

This means the Jets recovered less than 20% of their forced fumbles. Which was by far the worst in the NFL. I would expect that percentage to change next season.

9. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Its beyond brutal considering we have seen many games where a team recovers 2 in that one game alone.

Does anyone recall when we got either of these turnovers?

10. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

The recoveries are all luck. You never know whose gonna notice the ball on the ground first. I believe when the Giants won the SB in 2011 they had an insane amount of fumbles recovered. Or at least led the league by a good margin (could be wrong). Those are "breaks" that some teams get and some don't from year to year.

Not saying we couldn't benefit from forcing more turnovers though. Obviously any team would.

11. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Recoveries are considered kind of random. I haven't checked since the middle of the year, but the average is usually you recover 51% of fumbles. That means if you fumble offense and recover and fumbles forced on defense.

In theory, the jets rate should climb next year and not be so low

12. Barcs

Barcs Banned

These numbers are going to go up naturally as these young guys get more experience together, especially the fumbles. Part of the reason was that teams could exploit us more in the secondary. The other part of course is the offensive turnovers. Even a great defense can't make up for that many. The primary focus should be on the offense not turning the ball over as much. We could definitely use more takeaways but there were way too many giveaways, that's for sure. I believe another reason for the lack of forced fumbles was that we annihilated the run so badly on many plays that they don't even get the opportunity to fumble.

13. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Wow!! 2 forced fumble recoveries. That's almost hard to believe. Seems like you would luck into more than that.

I'm sure that's a statistical aberration and will improve next year.

14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Huh?

15. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Rex is still a fucking genius. (SARCASM SPOILER ALERT).

16. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Last year was certainly rough. Our secondary sucked. And a lot of the fumbles seemed to bounce right to an offensive player giving us no chance to recover it. Shit happens.

17. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Good catch, I was on my phone when typing that. Basically NFL total is 51% recovery for fumbles lost on offense+fumbles forced on defense. So the amount of fumbles you get vs the amount of fumbles.

18. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

The stat feels like an anomaly, but we might have to implement a fumble recovery drill in training camp

19. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Yeah, no doubt. 11 forced fumbles and they only recovered twice. Some of it was kind of random, and some was bad luck. They forced a bunch, they just need to do better at capitalizing when they do force them, and that will happen with time.