Richard Sherman: Banning "N Word" Racist

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Mar 3, 2014.

1. mute

mute Well-Known Member

based on what ive seen and in this very thread, no not EVERY white person understands. And I doubt this, from the very beginning, was driven by people known as BLACK.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I appreciate your thoughts. I have to say I disagree about your first point. White people understand that when black people use the word to each other it isn't to degrade or belittle. They understand that.

The rest of your points are spot on.

I think white people get in trouble with worrying too much about offending black people, that it can be offensive.. I've seen way too much over-emphasis on racial sensitivity, a desire not to offend that it almost becomes offensive (If that makes any sense).. People have sense of humors, it's okay. Also- white people in their desire to not seem racist, white people have a tendency to ignore the obvious, that it can be offensive. I saw this especially in my time spent in the south.
    My wife is black and I can't tell you how many times in our time together I've seen white people say things to her like "what is your ethnicity?" or dance around the fact that she's black...(she hates that) It's like she's black, it's okay.. it's not offensive to recognize this its just obvious haha. It's more offensive to act like you aren't racist by dancing around it!

3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

that is not true. if Nigga was a term of endearment blacks wouldn't use it derogatorily amongst one another. that fact keeps getting glossed over by those who want to claim it has a different meaning.

no, it doesn't. nigga was and is merely a pronunciation of nigger, same as motha when a New Yorker says it isn't a different word than mother. and its meaning is the same, it is merely said jokingly, without ill intent, or can be said with malice. the meaning doesn't change, merely the intent.

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I didn't say every white person understands, I said every white person I know understands. I probably should have said most white people I know since I haven't polled everyone.

You said "this is something that white people will never understand" which seems to indicate that no white person can understand what you're discussing. Maybe you meant some white people?

The Fritz Pollard organization is the one urging the NFL to pass this rule according to the article that was posted. I guess you think maybe they're just being Uncle Tom's?

5. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I'm white and agree with this 100%. Many folks don't understand the evolution of the word and how it spread through hip hop culture. Those are the ones that shouldn't really comment about the definitions of the word and acceptable usage. It really is equivocation when one word has multiple meanings and they are both treated as if they are the same. It's a logical fallacy. I explained it quite clearly above.

6. Barcs

Barcs Banned

LOL That's some silly ignorant shit that sounds like it was made up on the spot. Can you verify this? The word has evolved over time and now has multiple meanings. Are you SERIOUSLY arguing against that? Take a hip hop 101 class. Start with the professor, KRS-1. He has a book out called the gospel of hip hop. It may help you begin to understand what you are even arguing against. It's an entire culture too, it's not just rap music. Get with the program, it ain't the 50s anymore.

#46 Barcs, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  7. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

What are the meanings?

8. JetBlue

says the guy who doesn't even know what equivocation is and attempted to claim the difference between nigga and nigger was comparable to pencil "lead" and the act to"lead."

words certainly evolve in their use, but the demeaning use of nigga amongst blacks disputes your argument that it evolved a positive meaning. all that shows is that it is used in a positive context, not that the meaning has changed, and especially when the fact that blacks use it with a demeaning context as well is considered. the term is neutral and the context gives it its positive or negative value. I don't care what KRS's position is on the matter, you have to dispute the reasoning of my argument if you want to defend his position contrary to mine. it's a culture isn't a dispute.

all you have to do is read the wikipedia page on the word:
    "Among the black community, the slur nigger is almost always rendered as nigga, a pronunciation emphasizing the unique intra-racial dialect of black people."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigger

that fact is self-evident with even the slightest bit of common sense, and the fact that you don't grasp that reflects you don't have any grasp of the word or its history.

beyond that, the word nigger, as the same page states, "originated as a neutral term referring to black people."

the basic definition of nigger is a reference to black people. the most widely used use of nigga among blacks is in reference to black people. what does that mean? I know I have to spell it out for you with your graciously proven inability to grasp even the most basic meaning of things -- the definition has not changed!

the context of the use has changed. it went from a neutral term to a term used derogatorily during slavery to demean and oppress black people, to a term used to, again, mean primarily black person, which can be used endearingly (that's "my nigga!,") or disparingingly "look at that "broke nigga!").

the definition is still the same if it is directed to a black person, the context is simply different.

obviously that definition of "nigga" may be changing as it becomes a separate word that can apply to any race, which would be the evolution of the word, but that doesn't negate the fact that the history of nigga is not a separate word and is merely the pronunciation of nigger. and that is a factual claim that you should educate yourself on if you don't want to be perceived as a joke in this type of discussion, as you have now twice shown in your ignorant posts.

but the fact that people claim it to be a black term which the black community owns, and the obvious hesitancy for non-blacks to use it to describe themselves, reveals that the word hasn't evolved beyond its origins, just that, as of right now, a younger generation is adopting its use.

#48 JetBlue, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  9. mute

mute Well-Known Member

if the white man wasnt so insecure to begin with this thread wouldnt exist nor would this would-be rule be thought of. also I know, I was too lazy to edit and caught what you said later about EVERY white person.

#49 mute, Mar 6, 2014
  10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

An article was written about a black guy saying that a rule being pushed by a pro-black organization is "almost racist" but this thread only exists because the white man is insecure.

You have an interesting view of things. Please explain your position on how this thread is an indication of white men being insecure.

11. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I explained it in my previous post.

Just stop. It's irrelevant whether or not it's a verb or noun. It is equating 2 meanings of one word. That's it. READ:

That is exactly what you are doing with a word that has multiple meanings, whether it's spelled with an A or not. Meaning or SENSE.

Complete non sequitur. I didn't say it ONLY is used positively. You conveniently ignored the last half of my other post where I clearly explained how it doesn't just have 2 meanings. It has several and it's relative to context.

Huh? So a word can be used in a positive context yet still be derogatory? Please explain. Grasping for straws again, I see.

Consider the reasoning disputed. What you are saying has no validity. LOL at the term being neutral. I mean look at the term "resign". It has 2 opposite meanings. You can resign a player to a new contract or you can resign from your position and quit your job. Is that term also neutral? Do both meanings have the same interpretation? Nope, it would be equivocation to suggest that.

Who cares? Things change over time. It doesn't matter how it originated, it matters what it means TODAY. Besides, you are selectively taking that "origin", when it actually originated as a word used by white people to degrade black slaves as lesser people. You can't use the term "originated" when it's not even the beginning of the term. Back in the older days, putting your thumb on your nose was considered a very rude insulting gesture, much like giving the middle finger today. Does that mean thumbing your nose today is just as bad?

#51 Barcs, Mar 6, 2014
  12. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Buncha crackers in this thread.

Or as I endearingly say to my white friends, cracka.

_

13. UtahGetMe2

UtahGetMe2 New Member

The Pussification of America continues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Oh Lawdly, now the white men are fighting amongst themselves.... lmao

I pretty much get where Sherman's coming from. First off, the rule's going to be hard as hell to enforce unilaterally. That aside, a white-coined term historically used as a base term of cruelty and hatred suddenly gets co-opted culturally by blacks? Talk about taking ownership. ;-)

Kind of reminds me of the 'Yippies' mentality (Abbie Hoffman, Jerry Rubin, the Chicago 7) when it came to co-opting words. They were pissed that the word "love" got co-opted by Madison Avenue ("Cars LOVE Shell gasoline!") and as a protest would wear the word "FUCK" painted across their foreheads as if to say: "ok corporate white bread: co-opt that!"

I'm no fan of the word in question but I get it from the non-white point of view: they diluted the 'power' by co-opting the word for their own use. And now a white-dominated body (the Commisioner's office) is going to tell the black-dominated rank & file that their (white-racist) term is off-limits? Again, I don't like the word per se but I've had no problem in a black-dominated "team" setting with it being thrown about endearingly and otherwise by my non-white bretheren; it is what it is. In a way, it's kinda like whitey getting shot with his own gun. Whatever, I'm not going to hate anyone over a word and as far a proposed rule goes, I just can't see a ref negating a SB-winning TD with 10 seconds left by invoking a potty-mouth rule.....which means it's then b.s. to call it at any other time during the game.

"Unsportsmanlike conduct, offense, number 64.....he used the 'N' word. By rule, 10 seconds are run off the clock.................the game is over!"

Las Vegas would have Goodell in their crosshairs.

15. JetBlue

that's either an outright lie or simply another indication of your lack of intelligence. you either ignored the following portion -- "by glossing over which meaning is intended at a particular time," or simply don't understand what that means.

nobody would confuse a noun with a verb, so you couldn't gloss over the meaning of such and claim it is the other. the multiple meanings is only part of the factor of an equivocation fallacy. well done.

and I didn't say you said it ONLY is used positively. my argument is that the word is neither positive or negative, and its use determines such, thus it isn't an issue of the definition of the word but the context. the definition of the word hasn't changed at all.

not a non-sequitur on your part, just more asininity.

obviously, because you can also use it in a negative context. "that's my nigga" is a positive context, and "that's one dumbass nigga" is negative there is no grasping at straws there on my part, unless you are want to attempt to dispute that those two statements don't have different contexts, one positive and one negative.

what a fucking moron. thank you so much for this. resign, as in a resignation or acceptance of something inevitable, is not the same word as re-sign, to sign again, which has a hyphen in it.

http://www.beedictionary.com/common-errors/resign_vs_re_sign

holy shit, dude, please tell me you aren't serious.

sadly, we know you are.

no, it did not originate as a term to degrade slaves, it originated as neutral term to mean black person, that became the common term to describe blacks, degrade them and oppress them, hence the opposition of the word. and that is the point -- the context of its use during slavery was the issue, not that the word was bad or still is bad. it is neutral, and whether it is positive or negative is simply the context of its use. you attempted to claim it evolved a positive meaning, which is false. the meaning is still the same today as it was before -- it refers to someone that is black. when used positively you get "that's my nigga right there!." when used negatively to demean someone it is "I'm gonna kill that nigga!" unless you want to claim that the person means "nigga" with all due respect and brotherly love when he declares he wants to kill him.

I appreciate your cooperation in making you look foolish and ignorant.

#55 JetBlue, Mar 6, 2014
  16. mute

mute Well-Known Member

What I am saying is that this goes beyond football. If the white man wasnt so insecure to put labels on everyone this thread wouldnt be here nor would any of this exist.

17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Well you don't say, the N word goes beyond football? Holy hell! Thanks for your contribution.

18. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Barcs,

I didn't see actual meanings. The way I know the term(s) there is only one meaning.
    Nigger- black person
    Nigga- black person

19. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm an old school kind of guy and not up on the whole hip hop scene, but I have to ask, where did this KRS guy receive his PhD from? I'm sure he's plenty smart, but are we talking Ivy League, or SUNY New Paltz? Just like to know the man's bona fides.

20. Passepartout

Passepartout Active Member

Well what about other racist words. I mean not just the N word! That the league needs to be taken into consideration. As the USA is a diversity country! Hope that the NFL will take other words into consideration and banned them. Plus fines!