Jets at End of rope with Stephen Hill(pft)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LongIslandBlitz, Feb 21, 2014.

1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Personally I don't think Hill has much potential but that doesn't matter. Whether the player plays special teams will likely come into play if that is the decision. Unless the FO is really high on Hills potential the special teams player would probably win the tie breaker IMO.

And Idzik didn't draft Hill.

2. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

It's easy to just write him off based upon his numbers, but I see a deeper problem. I think he's got chronic knee issues that are going to keep him from ever being a productive WR. Take away his athleticism and he's got very little to work with.

3. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Agreed. Cutting him would be silly given his cap number. But if his knees are shot and the explosion is gone, you have to consider clearing the roster spot for an able-bodied player.

Ajitator likes this.
  4. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

This++

Despite what people say here, His biggest issues have been staying healthy. If he can go a full year off the Injury Report it would go a long way in his development and report with the team / fans.

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can agree on this. I don't have much in the way of expectations for him, and am concerned about his condition. But it's premature to cut him

6. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

I will never forget his wide-open drop inside the 10-yard line in crunch time @NE in '12.

He seems unnatural at times catching the ball and has got to be one of the softest, least physically-imposing 6'4" receivers ever.

He's doesn't fight for the ball in the air and has weak hands.

Which are underscored by the disappointing fact that somehow despite his size advantage and athleticism, he isn't a credible red zone threat.

4 TDs total over 2 seasons?

#126 al_toon_88, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  7. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

We've given Quasivlado four seasons, Hill is worth another shot - it's not like he's expensive against the cap.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Now this is funny!

9. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

We gave the project Vlad Ducasse 4 years, why can't we give Hill 4 years? What end of the roster player has more potential then him? Nobody.

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

nobody has more potential than Stephen hill? lolz

Ducasse isn't exactly a shining example of success. Offensive linemen aren't expected to cover kickoffs when they aren't starters either.

11. NYJFOREVER

I didn't say Ducasse was a shining example of success, I said he was a project and had potential to be a good offensive lineman. We gave him 4 years to develop and it didn't work out. Back on topic to with Hill, your gonna have a hard time finding a player with more potential than Hill who is on the roster bubble. Come back when you name someone.

12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I actually misread your post. I didn't see the part about the "end of roster". So, my mistake.

13. NYJFOREVER

Fair enough.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If the Jets see real possibilities in Stephen Hill then they should keep him for another year to try to get that value to emerge. If they don't see a lot of possibilities there then they really should let him go. One of the benefits of addition by subtraction is that you're forced to go find stuff to replace what you subtracted.

One of my negative scenarios for the Jets next year revolves around them just bringing in a couple of people to add to the existing mix. They get Holmes to re-sign fairly cheaply and they keep Hill and they maintain the rest of the usual suspects they've been using for the last year or two. The reason the scenario is negative is that the pressure on the new guys to be very good right away is intense in that situation. The Jets WR corps doesn't suck right now because people are under-performing. It sucks because people are performing exactly as you would expect them too given age, injuries and general lack of talent.

The way the Jets fix the situation is to make a huge proactive push this off-season to bring in reliable play makers. That means adding a FA WR and maybe a FA TE. It means drafting 3-4 guys who are potential play makers now or a bit down the road. It means bringing in another RB to compete and also adding a couple of linemen who could start, either via the draft or free agency.

If they want to keep Stephen Hill because they think he has something that can help the mix that's fine but they shouldn't be relying on him for anything at this point. He should be pure gravy on the roster if he comes through, because the odds are much greater he'll be out of the NFL in a season or two than that he'll come through.

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

This is truly the worst case scenario and it would prove to me that the FO is content with mediocrity on offense

16. NewYorkEveryThing

Does anyone feel that it might have been our QB situation. Every player gets a pass their 1st season and his second he played with the 1st or 2nd most ints qb who was a rookie throwing INT to DE's like his predecessor buttfumble sanchez !

17. Barcs

Barcs Banned

That's definitely part of it. We haven't had anything other than bottom of the league QBs throwing it the last 5 years. You wonder why Holmes and everyone else under produces. We obviously still need to add another threat, regardless, but like most rational folks are saying, it's too early to give up on him.

18. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

An article on a site with no football experience, which refers to something reported by Manish Mehta. It's a colossal combination of non-credibility.

19. Tballlz63

Tballlz63 Active Member

I think if Geno was able to hit Hill with a better pass in the Pittsburgh game on that long bomb, Hill would've taken it to the house, and I think we win that game as a result.

That was really the only example that I can remember where it was the qb's fault on a pass to Hill last season that went for an incompletion. But who knows, maybe if the pass was on the money Hill would've gotten more confidence and ended up with a more productive season. It's a stretch but maybe...

As others have said it makes no sense to cut Hill before training camp finishes. Hill might have to find a role on special teams in order to stay on the team next season, and I'm sure he'd be down to play special teams if it means that he gets a roster spot.

I think it would be a good thing for him to have a reduced role next year, so that he can concentrate on what he does best which is the long go route. If he can even get just one of these routes to go for a reception every Sunday it will have been woth it to keep him.

iJet likes this.
  20. DMarsh6

DMarsh6 Active Member

I still believe in "Thrill Hill"... I just want to see a full season of him