How much to keep Holmes?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GriffDog, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Holmes is 30 years old before the season starts and he's missed more than half the games the last two season with injuries. Before that he was a #2 quality receiver.

What's the upside for the Jets in using valuable cap space on him? I just don't see it.

If he was healthy it might be a different story, but even then you have to ask yourself what the Jets get for that $7M over two years if they put it somewhere else instead.

2. It's time to move on. Holmes could be had for a reasonable figure & is still a good player but it hasnt been a great match.Maybe on to a similar aged/priced veteran like miles austin(if he becomes available)

I do fear Holmes being a great fit for Brady in NE & likely would be a guy pats could afford...but the fear isnt stronger than it is to rebuild this offense

3. no psls

no psls Banned

Why keep him ? His best days are behind him . Go with youth .:pats_suck:

4. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Old broken down POS. There is no reason to sign him.

5. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Barcs is still on his cock lolol

6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Keep him and pay the man. Best receiver the Jets have had since Chrebet.

7. JetD

JetD Member

I cant wait for the day that we cut this guy! He is a goner Hope he does end up with the Pats.....fuck him

8. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Nothing about his history would make me believe that anything will truly make Holmes happy, least of all 2.5 million. I would hope that they're seen enough of Holmes to let him go be team #3's problem...

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He doesn't have anything with Holmes. I don't have to spend one more second thinking about Holmes. He offers nothing. The sooner he's gone the better. I could care less what he wants.

10. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

Vet minimum. He's not worth anymore at this point.

11. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Here's where Idzik needs to be smart. If we could get production out of Holmes, which I'm thinking we can, then to offer the dead $ for a 1yr deal would be a smart move IMO.
    Attitude( which I think is blown out of proportion) aside, having Holmes as a #3 WR wouldn't be a bad deal.

12. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Why do you care what he was like a few years ago? He sucks now. Stop paying players what they used to be worth and pay them what they are worth now (In this case, $0).

13. JetsFanatic

JetsFanatic Active Member

I would not keep Holmes for the vet minimum.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

And Coles was 28 when he was brought back, not 30, and he'd never missed a game to injury in his career as a starter to that point.

He was an excellent player and he had great chemistry with Chad and it was just a no-brainer to bring him back.

Holmes is 30 and injury-prone at this point in his career and the only guy you could argue that he had chemistry with is unlikely to be on the team this year.

15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Only fair weather fans with no backbone would want our best WR off the team when our #1 need is........WR.

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Coles was a far more physical receiver, he would not let you jam him at the LOS.

But get that bum Holmes off the team - not even worth a penny to us

17. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Holmes is Fla native with glory days tied to Pit. During his tenure with Jets had to work sub par QBs and made no bones about how he hated that not enough passes are going his way.

The situation for the next year is about the same: young QB, non-SB contending team, no deep roots in the area.

So why is he all of a sudden wants to remain a Jet? Could it be that he knows that he is on the down slope of his performance and this is the best chance for him to get a meaningful contract?

If Idzik can sign him for something VERY low -- sure it'd be worth it. My prediction is that Holmes won't agree to a meaningful paycut and Jets won't waste much on his underperformance. So ... Bye-bye Santonio.

18. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

For cheap I want him back. He's now been injured the last two years, but he's still an above average receiver on our team when he plays. That's the problem, I don't believe we have the depth to just let him go completely. We should cut him and hopefully be able to resign him for cheap. No long contract, no big money contract, and I'm fine with him coming back

19. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Holmes never truly lived up to the contract that we gave him. I'm not a big believer in paying WR's unless they are incredibly elite like Calvin Johnson. With that said I wouldnt be quick to remove him completely, sometimes you have to overpay in order to win. The Hawks last season were paying Sidney Rice and Percy Harvin about 20 million and both rarely saw the field due to injuries. Id like to see who we acquire in free agency first, if we target a WR then Holmes is likely gone, but if we adress the Tightend, than the WR in the Draft then keeping Holmes wouldnt be to bad.

20. Thrilla In Manila

Thrilla In Manila New Member

Not wanting to keep him for a zero net cap hit and no guarantee he sees the field considering our WR issues seems more spiteful thinking than logical to me. I understand his mindset may not have been the best or maybe even tolerable but we have no liability here. Offer him the 2.5 deal if he declines we cut him. If he stays he provides depth. Saying he has nothing left in the tank is hard to prove since we have not seen him in 3 years with a working offense.